March 2024 Weather in the PNW

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

We hit 82°F on Thursday and 81°F back in January. The latter hasn’t happened since 1932.

Just a matter of weeks and you will be hitting heat index’s of 110+ 🥰

• Angry 1
  • Sick 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

4 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Are you really trying to deny a rapid development of Niña conditions or just trolling? I just posted an update here. 

Still plenty of potential failure modes. I’m not denying a niña is statistically favored (it is) but it’s far from a sure thing.

Models are also notoriously bad at predicting ENSO during the spring months, for a number of reasons I’m too tired to delve into right now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tanis Leach said:

I have noticed we are having a higher frequency of continental patterns vs our traditional patterns. 

When I asked the CEOAS professors about this trend (prr-graduation), they did blame it on climate change, but also mentioned more studies need to be done. 

Climate change is always the easy answer.

• Like 2
  • lol 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Just now, Phil said:

Still plenty of potential failure modes. I’m not denying a niña is statistically favored (it is) but it’s far from a sure thing.

Models are also notoriously bad at predicting ENSO during the spring months, for a number of reasons I’m too tired to delve into right now.

Going to be a weak Nina and we are going to get clobbered next season!!! 

• Excited 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

4 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Just a matter of weeks and you will be hitting heat index’s of 110+ 🥰

You might be joining me!

I’ve known 2024 was going to be a s**t summer for awhile. Post-niño and descending +QBO is always nightmare fuel here. I’ve reached the acceptance stage on that.

• Excited 1

7 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Going to be a weak Nina and we are going to get clobbered next season!!! 

I’d be okay with a weak niña. Much colder than a strong niño, but with similar snowfall climatology (statistically).

I might beat you in snowfall for the second winter in a row. ☃️ 

• Sun 1
  • Snow 1
  • Shivering 1

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yeah it’s basically a cop out.

I'm reading we have 10 years or less to alter the fate of humanity. Make drastic changes now or DIE.

Of course, they said the same thing in 2019. And 2009. And 2006. And 1989.

But maybe this time they're right.

• Thanks 2
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, Front Ranger said:

I'm reading we have 10 years or less to alter the fate of humanity. Make drastic changes now or DIE.

Of course, they said the same thing in 2019. And 2009. And 2006. And 1989.

But maybe this time they're right.

You are heading toward denialism?! 

• Excited 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

17 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

The Puget Sound region has seen 80+ this time of year more than a century ago.

Quillayute isn’t in the Puget Sound and they have never seen an 80 in March until today. Even 70 is an extreme rarity this early in the year, they doubled their count of 70+ prior to St Patrick’s day in the past 2 days. 

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, the_convergence_zone said:

Quillayute isn’t in the Puget Sound and they have never seen an 80 in March until today. Even 70 is an extreme rarity this early in the year, they doubled their count of 70+ prior to St Patrick’s day in the past 2 days. 

Quillayute is one station, and they have been prone to more extremes in recent years.

But my point was that the temps seen today overall are not close to unprecedented for the the Puget Sound region in March. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, the_convergence_zone said:

It’s not a mainstream opinion in the climate science community. 

What isn't? Are the alarmist headlines of today "mainstream" or not? Makes an easy copout if Al Gore or James Hansen or whoever says something but it turns out to be nonsense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Troll 2

3 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

What isn't? Are the alarmist headlines of today "mainstream" or not? Makes an easy copout if Al Gore or James Hansen or whoever says something but it turns out to be nonsense.

I would hope that the collective weather and climate knowledge of this forum puts us above using news headlines to form opinions about climate change. If we did that for regular weather events we would probably lose our minds…how many terms like “bomb cyclone”, “polar vortex”, etc have been butchered by the media over the years? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, the_convergence_zone said:

I would hope that the collective weather and climate knowledge of this forum puts us above using news headlines to form opinions about climate change. If we did that for regular weather events we would probably lose our minds…how many terms like “bomb cyclone”, “polar vortex”, etc have been butchered by the media over the years? 

I'm not talking about the news media. Again - if you'd like, I'm more than happy to link the statements made by "climate experts" the years I cited, saying we had 10 years to act or we're screwed. Many names revered by the climate alarmist community.

It's a repetitious cycle. Nothing new under the sun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Troll 1
  • Weenie 1

18 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Quillayute is one station, and they have been prone to more extremes in recent years.

But my point was that the temps seen today overall are not close to unprecedented for the the Puget Sound region in March. 

Quillayute is an interesting site. That 110 record is perhaps the most extreme daily temperature record of any station anywhere in the entire world. There is something about that location that has made it more prone to downslope warming events in recent years. It’s an oddity. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

I'm not talking about the news media. Again - if you'd like, I'm more than happy to link the statements made by "climate experts" the years I cited, saying we had 10 years to act or we're screwed. Many names revered by the climate alarmist community.

It sounds like we’re in agreement that these statements were not made by mainstream climate scientists (whose views are well represented in the IPCC reports) but rather by “experts” who are known for making splashy quotes that the media eats up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

There are always extremes on both sides dude. Even then you’d be extremely hard pressed to find a climate expert who unironically thinks we would go “die” if we don’t take drastic action within 10 years. That is totally a fringe media thing. Nobody who has any credibility actually thinks this, get out of your hole.

• Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, the_convergence_zone said:

It sounds like we’re in agreement that these statements were not made by mainstream climate scientists (whose views are well represented in the IPCC reports) but rather by “experts” who are known for making splashy quotes that the media eats up. 

Is James Hansen a qualified climate scientist? You tell me who we should trust.

• Excited 1

You know what I think of climate change? It's grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeat! Just like kelog frosted flakes!

• Like 1

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated April 29th) 88"

Snow depth at my home (updated April 29th) late season 1"!

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated April 29th) 92"!!

27 currently, 62/19 day. I'm betting on a low of 16-20, and a high of 62-66 tommorow.

5 minutes ago, DeepFriedEgg said:

There are always extremes on both sides dude. Even then you’d be extremely hard pressed to find a climate expert who unironically thinks we would go “die” if we don’t take drastic action within 10 years. That is totally a fringe media thing. Nobody who has any credibility actually thinks this, get out of your hole.

And you'd have to live in a cave to believe that climate alarmism isn't a very big player in the modern landscape. It's not a "fringe thing", plenty of people in the mainstream believe this , including members of congress.

• Like 3
  • Troll 1

Just now, Front Ranger said:

And you'd have to live in a cave to believe that climate alarmism isn't a very big player in the modern landscape. It's not a "fringe thing", plenty of people in the mainstream believe this , including members of congress.

I think they’re just trying to be proactive/hedging. Since half of congress probably denies climate change all together, they feel the need to compensate so that at least some action/plan is put in place for the long term.

3 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Make a post of substance. I believe in you.

100s of posts later I still don’t know your stance on climate change. You’re literally arguing nothing bro. You’re fighting a cold vs warm anomaly holy war that doesn’t exist. 

• Spam 1

Just now, DeepFriedEgg said:

I think they’re just trying to be proactive/hedging. Since half of congress probably denies climate change all together, they feel the need to compensate so that at least some action/plan is put in place for the long term.

Two wrongs = right then? Look...I think there is room for disagreement but also some reason here. There's a happy medium between complete denialism and what OAC and her ilk have peddled.

• Like 1

Whats

going 

on 

• Thanks 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Parts of enso has warmed quite a bit in the last week, strange. Overall there's been more cooling than warming, and a record super nina is still COMING!!! IM GONNA GET 250+ INCHES OF SNOW, A LOW OF OF -30, A 35+"  CHRISTMAS SNOWSTORM WITH OUR SNOW DEPTH REACHING OVER 8' BY BOXING DAY. LOWLANDS WILL GET SUBZERO LOWS, A FEW FEET OF SNOW, A CHRISTMAS WHITER THAN THAT OF AN ALBINO FAMILY, ITS COMING! WOOOO, ITLL BE GRRRRRREAT, EVEN GREATER THAN FROSTED FLAKES. AND THEN THE BIG ONE WILL HAPPEN AND ALL OF THE PNW WILL BE ABSOLUTELY F*CKED! AND THEN MOUNT RAINIER, BAKER, HOOD, HELENS, GLACIER, ADAMS, AND JEFFERSON WILL ERUPT! PREPARE FOR DOOMSDAY WITH SNOW, ASH, LAHARS, LAVA, AND EARTHQUAKES! WOOOO, ITS COMING!

cdas-sflux_ssta7diff_global_1.png

• Like 1
  • lol 1

Just now, Front Ranger said:

Two wrongs = right then? Look...I think there is room for disagreement but also some reason here. There's a happy medium between complete denialism and what OAC and her ilk have peddled.

I’m in the happy medium camp seemingly like you. But you continue to make posts that make it look like you are a complete denier. You are overcompensating just like those in congress. Like you said 2 wrongs don’t equal a right…

• Spam 1

8 minutes ago, DeepFriedEgg said:

100s of posts later I still don’t know your stance on climate change. You’re literally arguing nothing bro. You’re fighting a cold vs warm anomaly holy war that doesn’t exist. 

My stance: humans like to think they know more than they really know.

If you look at history, at the history of humans but also of science in particular, you will find a lot of hubris. You will also find a lot of people looking to use a cause to further themselves. And anything for political gain.

That being said, I do believe AGW is real. I think the earth was warming, and that warming has been enhanced by human activities.

I also think warnings of this warming destroying the ecosystems are overblown and often motivated by more than logic. 

• Like 3

What the hell are you 2 even fighting about, go to bed. Speaking of, good night yall!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

My stance: human's like to think they know more than they really know.

If you look at history, at the history of humans but also of science in particular, you will find a lot of hubris. You will also find a lot of people looking to use a cause to further themselves. And anything for political gain.

That being said, I do believe AGW is real. I think the earth was warming, and that warming has been enhanced by human activities.

I also think warnings of this warming destroying the ecosystems are overblown and often motivated by more than logic. 

We basically have the same opinion.

Do you think we should begin to cut carbon emissions and diversify energy infrastructure away from mostly oil long term?

• Thanks 1