Pacific NW August 2014 Discussion

stuffradio

For some reason I was under the impression that onshore flow (in our region) was more troublesome for thunderstorm development that offshore. But in this case I now understand how offshore flow is likely an inhibitor, downsloping being the main issue.

For some reason I was under the impression that onshore flow (in our region) was more troublesome for thunderstorm development that offshore. But in this case I now understand how offshore flow is likely an inhibitor, downsloping being the main issue.

To my understanding, on a day like today the capping inversion is mostly just present during the peak daytime heating hours, when there's a slightly warmer elevated layer that reduces the lapse rates and produces what's known as CINH (convective inhibition). On really hot days like today with the extreme warmth aloft, there's a larger inversion. That naturally will reduce at a point in the evening hours as the boundary layer begins to decouple, before things stabilize again late in the night.

Offshore flow is still optimal for our region's thunderstorm outbreaks, btw. SSE flow aloft is always ideal.

To my understanding, on a day like today the capping inversion is mostly just present during the peak daytime heating hours, when there's a slightly warmer elevated layer that reduces the lapse rates and produces what's known as CINH (convective inhibition). On really hot days like today with the extreme warmth aloft, there's a larger inversion. That naturally will reduce at a point in the evening hours as the boundary layer begins to decouple, before things stabilize again late in the night.

Offshore flow is still optimal for our region's thunderstorm outbreaks, btw. SSE flow aloft is always ideal.

That's kind of misleading, though.  Typically people associate offshore flow with offshore surface gradients.  It's incredibly rare to unheard of for the westside to see storms when an actual inverted thermal trough is positioned on the westside/coast.  

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

That's kind of misleading, though.  Typically people associate offshore flow with offshore surface gradients.  It's incredibly rare to unheard of for the westside to see storms when an actual inverted thermal trough is positioned on the westside/coast.  

Well there are varying degrees of what quantifies as "offshore flow", but the pressure gradients aloft are most telling. The 500mb details are obviously more important than anything else. The ideal convective setup is pretty consistent around here and often follows a period of strong offshore surface gradients, but you're right that they're rarely simultaneous. 

Thanks, that makes sense. Seems like SSE flow aloft with offshore gradients switching to onshore at the surface is our best combination for convection. The switch to onshore is generally a trigger but convective events are often directly preceded by offshore flow at the surface.

Well there are varying degrees of what quantifies as "offshore flow", but the pressure gradients aloft are most telling. The 500mb details are obviously more important than anything else. The ideal convective setup is pretty consistent around here and often follows a period of strong offshore surface gradients, but you're right that they're rarely simultaneous. 

Absolutely.  Diffluent, SE'erly 500mb flow is optimal.  It just happens that thermal troughs, not coincidentally, don't survive on the westside during that kind of pattern.  You need a shitload of subsidence or a relatively cool continental air mass to make it happen and neither situation is good for convection.  This is why the situation back in July didn't pan out as a heat/storms/heat scenario.  It just doesn't happen.  

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Rapid develp. of a cell just N of Mt Rainier right now.

Meso data is looking good

Li's esp. around the Willamette valley are -7C right now and CAPE in that same area is over 2000J/Kg

BK shear is on the order of 40 kts over SW Wa and extreme NW Ore.

I would expect further develp. as the night progresses