Christmas Eve Potential Major Winter Storm

Tom

LOT should have some sort of headline by noon according to Gino's AFD last night. Probably a Winter Storm Watch I would think due to the potential of 6+. I'm interested which areas will be outlined. My guess is they will probably have a watch out for the 2 eastern tiers of counties and maybe parts of NW Indiana as well.

yeah starting to think mchenry and lake counties are going to be out of it

clear agreement on the best banding being from the city south

I wouldn't sweat it too much. I don't think the back edge will be that sharp. A lot of time the deformation band ends up being wider than forecasted.

• Like 1

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

This heavy wet snow should be a good starter to build that snow base and when it freezes over it'll be hard to melt if a January Thaw comes.  Last year we never had a wet snow and the snow settled 30% of the total snowfall it seemed like for every storm.  So I don't mind having a wet snow and the scenery will look quite nice having the snow plastered to everything in sight.  It will definitely be a white scene out there on Christmas Day and if the sun does ever come out, better make sure your shades are around.

lot just mentioned on their facebook that a line from marengo to lasalle on east is favored to get heavy wet snow and they will have a discussion this afternoon after they look at some more model data and after that they might issued a winter storm watch.

My guess is that they end up issuing a Winter Storm Watch for those areas. So once there is some more certainty on the heaviest amounts they can update part of it to a Winter Storm Warning and part of it to a Winter Weather Advisory if need be.

Latest LOT special weather statement.

954 AM CST TUE DEC 23 2014 /1054 AM EST TUE DEC 23 2014/...PERIOD OF HEAVY WET SNOW POSSIBLE WEDNESDAY...THERE ARE GROWING INDICATIONS THAT RAIN WILL CHANGE TO A PERIOD OFHEAVY WET SNOW DURING THE DAY WEDNESDAY AND POSSIBLY CONTINUINGINTO WEDNESDAY EVENING OVER PORTIONS OF NORTHERN ILLINOIS ORNORTHWEST INDIANA. THE AREAL EXTENT OF THE HEAVY SNOW BAND ISEXPECTED TO BE RELATIVELY NARROW...HOWEVER GUIDANCE CONTINUES TOINDICATE SNOWFALL RATES OF 1 TO LOCALLY OVER 2 INCHES PER HOURAND NEAR WHITE OUT VISIBILITIES IN HEAVY SNOW. THE EXPECTEDLOCALIZED NATURE OF THE HEAVY SNOW MAKES IT DIFFICULT TO PINPOINTWHERE EXACTLY IT WILL OCCUR. IT COULD BE AS FAR EAST AS NORTHWESTINDIANA OR POSSIBLY AS FAR WEST AS A MARENGO TO LASALLE LINE.THE MAJORITY OF NORTHERN AND CENTRAL ILLINOIS AND NORTHWESTINDIANA WILL LIKELY ONLY RECEIVE LIGHT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS.HOWEVER...WHERE THE HEAVY SNOW BAND SETS UP...THERE IS A POTENTIALFOR A SWATH OF AT LEAST 3 TO 6 INCHES OF HEAVY...WET SNOW TOOCCUR WITH ISOLATED HIGHER TOTALS POSSIBLE.IT APPEARS LIKELY THAT SOME PORTIONS OF THE REGION WILL LIKELY BEIMPACTED BY A WINTER STORM THAT COULD MAKE TRAVEL DIFFICULT TO NEARLYIMPOSSIBLE AT TIMES. THOSE PLANNING TRAVEL ON WEDNESDAY ANDWEDNESDAY NIGHT ARE URGED TO MONITOR LATER FORECASTS ANDPOTENTIALLY PLAN TO ALTER TRAVEL PLANS AS NEEDED.$$JEE

Mercer Island, 350 ft

Ignore at ur own risk

For one it's the eastern outlier by far. Two, if you take a look at all of the latest Euro control runs they all had the defo band right over Chicago like the rest of the models currently. It shouldn't be ignored, but it's doubtful that it comes to fruition.

• Like 1

For one it's the eastern outlier by far. Two, if you take a look at all of the latest Euro control runs they all had the defo band right over Chicago like the rest of the models currently. It shouldn't be ignored, but I bet it's doubtful it comes to fruition.

No chance it comes to fruition  :lol:

Hi-res ARW is nice looking!

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/hrw-arw/12/hrw-arw_conus_030_sim_radar.gif

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/hrw-arw/12/hrw-arw_conus_031_sim_radar.gif

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/hrw-arw/12/hrw-arw_conus_048_precip_p48.gif

NMM

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/hrw-nmm/12/hrw-nmm_conus_048_precip_p48.gif

Wow... if that was all snow even with 6-7:1 ratios the totals would still be very impressive.

RPM was a combination of the EURO and the rest of the models in terms of deformation band placement. Skilling wasn't really saying which model he was counting on. lol

Mercer Island, 350 ft