February 2015 PNW Discussion

BLI snowman

I didn't agree or disagree. It just feels like we're having IMBY-itis. On the East coast they're probably talking about Global cooling the last two years. In the middle of the country they're probably indifferent with the variations of weather they get. During a -PDO we don't really have this much torching. I remember much of the Summer that wasn't of 2011 it was mostly in the 60's and sometimes in the low 70's. We had marine push after marine push. It was a mostly socked in Summer of clouds with rain from time to time. That was horrible, and no one should wish for that kind of Summer. (No one!)

I loved summer of 2011, although it turned pretty crappy after mid-August.

Find a post where I've said warming has accelerated, or that the pace of warming has otherwise changed, in the last several years. Then we'll have a discussion. :)

When the globe has a record warm year, coupled with lengthy stretch of unprecedented warmth regionally, it should come as no surprise that people are talking about it a bit more. I am sorry that it bothers you so much.

"What on earth is going on with our climate the last several months? It's like it broke. We just don't get cold anymore."

"So is it silly to partially blame this ridiculousness on global warming or?"

"Global warming ftw. Let's enjoy all of this lovely warmth. I'm sure climate change on a massive scale will never come to bite us in the a**."

"I really, really miss climo.  Maybe this is our new climate?"

It basically started with this kind of stuff in October and it's been periodic waves of returning to this kind of fractured, whiny rationale since then, including your bona fide fit just recently.  

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

I agree completely.   The summers of 2010 and 2011 were pretty disgusting.    Regardless of how winter plays out... there is never a reason to wish away the best season of the year in our region.

Have you been to Silver Star in Vernon?    We were planning to go to Silver Mountain in Idaho but getting nervous about snow conditions and Silver Star looks much better right now.    We booked a room as a back up there starting 2/15.

Silver Star is a great resort, I haven't been there for awhile but I have several relatives living around/planning to move there who absolutely love it. It looks pretty ridgy for the 15th, but that probably just means sunny/dry up there.

I didn't agree or disagree. It just feels like we're having IMBY-itis. On the East coast they're probably talking about Global cooling the last two years. In the middle of the country they're probably indifferent with the variations of weather they get. During a -PDO we don't really have this much torching. I remember much of the Summer that wasn't of 2011 it was mostly in the 60's and sometimes in the low 70's. We had marine push after marine push. It was a mostly socked in Summer of clouds with rain from time to time. That was horrible, and no one should wish for that kind of Summer. (No one!)

You're missing the boat on this.  Our climate since 2011 has clearly changed on every noticeable level.  

"What on earth is going on with our climate the last several months? It's like it broke. We just don't get cold anymore."

"So is it silly to partially blame this ridiculousness on global warming or?"

"Global warming ftw. Let's enjoy all of this lovely warmth. I'm sure climate change on a massive scale will never come to bite us in the a**."

"I really, really miss climo.  Maybe this is our new climate?"

It basically started with this kind of stuff in October and it's been periodic waves of returning to this kind of fractured, whiny rationale since then, including your bona fide fit just recently.  

Still waiting for posts in which I state that warming has accelerated, or that the pace of warming has otherwise changed. :)

Bitching about the ridiculous level of warmth lately is one thing. And yes, heaven forbid, I have done that off and on the last six months (although all things considered I have kept pretty quiet). But I see nothing there pointing to a claim that climate change has accelerated. 

I apologize for being annoyed with the constant warmth of the last few years and making periodic commentary expressing that distaste. Happy? I can assure you our forum would be more than flooded with the complaints of other members (no pun intended, LOL!!!) if the last few years had been equally cool and damp. My commentary has been comparably mild. If anyone has made it into more than it should be, it's you, because for some reason you seem to be obsessed with me. :wub:

Silver Star is a great resort, I haven't been there for awhile but I have several relatives living around/planning to move there who absolutely love it. It looks pretty ridgy for the 15th, but that probably just means sunny/dry up there.

Yeah... sunny, dry weather would be great for skiing regardless of the temp.   Its the warm rain that I want to avoid.    Silver Mountain in Idaho is not doing as well in this current pattern.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Persistence well into March... but no doubt it will not be above normal out West.   Brett exaggerates warmth as Jesse points out every time.   Probably going to be a little below normal as usual.  :)

http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/pub/includes/columns/alertengine/2015/590x458_02060414_feb6a.png

http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/pub/includes/columns/alertengine/2015/590x458_02060416_feb6b.png

http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/pub/includes/columns/alertengine/2015/590x458_02060418_feb6c.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

There is a climate change map that says Bellingham will have the same climate as Anaheim, CA for Summer, and below 6 days of freezing by 2100.

Deweydog's gonna FREAK when he hears about this one!

They're clearly overreacting about climate change/not acknowledging climate change enough.

Still waiting for posts in which I state that warming has accelerated, or that the pace of warming has otherwise changed. :)

Bitching about the ridiculous level of warmth lately is one thing. And yes, heaven forbid, I have done that off and on the last six months (although all things considered I have kept pretty quiet). But I see nothing there pointing to a claim that climate change has accelerated. 

I apologize for being annoyed with the constant warmth of the last few years and making periodic commentary expressing that distaste. Happy? I can assure you our forum would be more than flooded with the complains of other members (no pun intended, LOL!!!) if the last few years had been equally cool and damp. My commentary has been comparably mild. If anyone has made it into more than it should be, it's you, because for some reason you seem to be obsessed with me. :wub:

Yes, it is what it is.  Maritime climates are a *****.  But there's a difference between just shouting at the moon about wanting this or missing that and trying to inject science into said pissing and moaning. Do you really lack that much self control as to need to lament about things in such a grandiose manner just to pacify yourself with the fact you think you're doing it for the good of mankind?  Our futures with respect to planetary destruction were just as bleak in 2011 as they were this past summer and fall.  Just as it's just as bleak in Boston where they just had their snowiest week on record.  You've lost some perspective, just own it and move on.  

• Like 1

Yes, it is what it is.  Maritime climates are a *****.  But there's a difference between just shouting at the moon about wanting this or missing that and trying to inject s**t science into said pissing and moaning. Do you really lack that much self control as to need to lament about things in such a grandiose manner just to pacify yourself with the fact you think you're doing it for the good of mankind?  Our futures with respect to planetary destruction were just as bleak in 2011 as they were this past summer and fall.  Just as it's just as bleak in Boston where they just had their snowiest week on record.  You've lost some perspective, just own it and move on.  

This is sad, but true.

When the planet is experiencing its warmest year on record to date, and it is torching IMBY, it brings it home a bit more, though. I don't know why this is so hard to understand. Yes, I'm human, and having it torch on an unprecedented global level and local level does make things a little more uncomfortable. I'm sorry if this has offended you. 

Also, I truly believe that there is something kind of sick about celebrating this kind of ridiculous warmth when it is a symptom of such a potentially catastrophic problem. I know you disagree, that's just my thing. Then again, I also understand the merit of taking it as it comes. It leads to a happier existence.

There's something in me that can't just give in and embrace it completely, though, especially considering there technically ARE measures we can take to avoid complete disaster. More new power from solar in the United States than ever in 2014. Heck, Germany almost runs on solar completely. Those kinds of figures make me feel better. I just don't get the "F*** it, we're doomed anyway, might as well enjoy the ride" mentality that some seem to have. Seems like a mindset that leads to complacency and inaction which is at epidemic levels in parts of this country.

This is sad, but true.

When the planet is experiencing their warmest year on record to date, and it is torching IMBY, it brings it home a bit more, though. I don't know why this is so hard to understand. Yes, I'm human, and having it torch on an unprecedented global level and local level does make things a little more uncomfortable. I'm sorry if this has offended you. 

Also, I truly believe that there is something kind of sick about celebrating this kind of ridiculous warmth when it is a symptom of such a potentially catastrophic problem. I know you disagree, that's just my thing. Then again, I also understand the merit of taking it as it comes. It leads to a happier existence.

There's something in me that can't just give in and embrace it completely, though, especially considering there technically ARE measures we can take to curtail it. More new power from solar in the United States than ever in 2014. Heck, Germany almost runs on solar completely. Those kinds of figures make me feel better. I just don't get the "**** it, we're doomed anyway, might as well enjoy the ride" mentality that some seem to have. Seems like a mindset that leads to complacency and inaction which is at epidemic levels in parts of this country.

Were you really this unconvinced of living in a warming climate until JUST these last few months?  If you were, I suppose your reaction might be a little more explicable.  But aside from just being antsy about cold anomalies when you really like cold anomalies, I haven't seen any more of a smoking gun AGW-wise in the recent past.  Our planet is a runaway train.  If we've caused the majority of where we're going, which I really doubt is primarily the case, then that's where we're going.  

Were you really this unconvinced of living in a warming climate until JUST these last few months?  If you were, I suppose your reaction might be a little more explicable.  But aside from just being antsy about cold anomalies when you really like cold anomalies, I haven't seen any more of a smoking gun AGW-wise in the recent past.  Our planet is a runaway train.  If we've caused the majority of where we're going, which I really doubt is primarily the case, then that's where we're going.  

Quitter. :)

Quitter. :)

I don't think being realistic about the fact that as a planet we are no where near a level of advancement to stop being ravenous consumers of natural resources makes someone a quitter.  There's just no way at this point to make the kind of truly meaningful changes which are deemed to be "needed" without crippling the system.  

I don't think being realistic about the fact that as a planet, we are no where near a level of advancement to stop being ravenous consumers of natural resources makes someone a quitter.  There's just no way at this point to make the kind of truly meaningful changes which are deemed to be "needed" without crippling the system.  

I completely disagree, but that is an argument for another thread.

Persistence well into March... but no doubt it will not be above normal out West. Brett exaggerates warmth as Jesse points out every time. Probably going to be a little below normal as usual. :)

http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/pub/includes/columns/alertengine/2015/590x458_02060414_feb6a.png

http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/pub/includes/columns/alertengine/2015/590x458_02060416_feb6b.png

http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/pub/includes/columns/alertengine/2015/590x458_02060418_feb6c.png

Ugh. The 1993-94 bulls**t is getting old..plus it's boring from a meteorological perspective w/ that giant vortex dominating the wave train. Nothing is going to penetrate that thing until the final stratwarm.

Who cares who we elect president in the US? We are not the problem. The much bigger problem is the 4 billion people in Asia. Good luck stopping all global warming without help from natural influences like the sun or a massive volcanic eruption.

Who cares who we elect president in the US? We are not the problem. The much bigger problem is the 4 billion people in Asia. Good luck stopping all global warming without help from natural influences like the sun or a massive volcanic eruption.

Oh to still be in my 20's and think it really matters.

Wait... I didn't think that in my 20's.   

Maybe this'll comfort Jesse.

Global SSTs are coming down nicely now..in fact they've dropped by over 0.4C since September..lower tropospheric temps should follow, so long as conditions don't allow the Hadley Cells to broaden again.

http://www.ospo.noaa.gov/data/sst/anomaly/2015/anomnight.2.5.2015.gif

And then all would be well with this winter!

I suppose Denver would have shattered their November cold record by 7 degrees instead of 6, too. 

Not my point. Getting only 2 or 3" of snow probably still wouldn't sit well with most of us, but it would certainly have made for a slightly more interesting year!

Oh to still be in my 20's and think it really matters.

Wait... I didn't think that in my 20's.

Hate to say it sweetheart, but one of the major problems with the world right now is that there are too many jaded know it alls like you with completely defeatist attitudes. It's depressing.

Also, I would appreciate if you didn't put words in my mouth. I never said it was a fix all, and you yourself brought up the election thing. As long as people like the Koch brothers can buy elections with $889 million it won't matter. Sounds like a problem that we should all rally together and give up on since caring about anything is an idealistic waste of time.

Not my point. Getting only 2 or 3" of snow probably still wouldn't sit well with most of us, but it would certainly have made for a slightly more interesting year!

We had sticking snow on 11-13!

Global warming hasn't made it north of Mill Plain yet!  

• Like 1

Hate to say it sweetheart, but one of the major problems with the world right now is that there are too many jaded know it alls like you with completely defeatist attitudes. It's depressing.

Also, I would appreciate if you didn't put words in my mouth. I never said it was a fix all, and you yourself brought up the election thing. As long as people like the Koch brothers can buy elections with $889 million it won't matter.

Yikes!  It's not JUST you.  There are many others.  Just as there are many, many other defeatists out there keeping things working so you can have all the creature comforts you need to keep calling them defeatists.