2022-2023 California and Southwest Weather Thread

Thunder98

Sky’s more whitish than blue but the sun’s still out. The week ahead is looking standard issue for early May. 

One of the earliest jacaranda blooms I’ve ever seen, especially since it’s even happening right at the coast which usually lags the rest of the region by a few weeks.

A4B1D266-A286-4276-BEEE-B4D5233A5334.jpeg

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Mr Marine Layer said:

San Diego is getting socked in this afternoon. Onshore push in progress. 

Down to 62 there already. Even semicoastal Beverly Hills (typically 7-8 degrees warmer than the beach) is down to 69 as the south winds accelerate into the teens.

Eddy be spinnin

4 hours ago, Mr Marine Layer said:

Low clouds are back and eddy might be warming up the ocean.

I believe it might be. Low temperatures over the past week or so during nights of marine layer are much warmer than they ought to be. Upper 50s where I am is warmer than average even during marine layer nights at this time of year.

I can believe slightly warmer SSTs — the breeze is cool but not ice cold like it often is this time of year and the marine layer has burned off by lunchtime even where I’m at. For early May, I’ll take it!

64 at 11am under a still overcast sky. In previous years, it was often as cold as 59 under full overcast in April and early May. And our highs have gotten to 65+ pretty reliably unlike some years where they never seemed to pass 63.