3/13 - 3/14 Midwest/Lakes Snow System

Tom

Well I'm even approaching 4" on this run and the NAM is quite possibly the furthest north of all the guidance.  If the GFS shifts significantly north tonight then I think I'm in trouble.  I don't like what the Euro is showing at all though and I'm very concerned it will end up the most accurate. 

Tom, what are your thoughts on this? Northern camp, southern camp?

Would like to see the GFS/RPM run tonight. RPM does well at this range. NAM is earily similar to the Euro in track thru IA so won't discount it. Let's see the runs tonight.

Just saw the RPM and it looked the same as it did earlier. One thing it's picking up on are distinct lake bands coming off the lake later Monday evening when the system snow departs. The run stopped at about 7pm Monday but the lake snow will prob continue into Tuesday.

18z GFS looks decent.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Would a stronger storm be good or bad for LE snow or doesn't it matter? 

I don't think it matters bc 850's will be cold and the wind trajectory is lining up for a perfect setup.

Uptick in lake moisture for SE WI/NE IL...

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2017031100/gfs_apcpn_ncus_17.png

D**n. GFS keeps LE going for 12-18+ hours this run. Almost 9 inches in MKE, 6 in Chicago

http://maps1.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/gfs/2017031100/096/snku_acc.us_mw.png

This is a BIG signal this far out.  From past experience, when I see this amount of snow from Lehs/LES, it usually over performs.  I could see some hefty totals lakeside.

This is a BIG signal this far out.  From past experience, when I see this amount of snow from Lehs/LES, it usually over performs.  I could see some hefty totals lakeside.

Even the GEM is picking up on the enhanced precip along the lake. And this is 3 days out, usually that stuff doesn't get pinned down until the event.

.6+ QPF along the lake 

• Like 1

Once Kuchera maps come out I'll post it, but Chicago/S. WI/IA etc all .5-.6 QPF + Some .8 QPF showing up near Sheboygan/Milwaukee 

Also, lake effect snows are likely 20:1 ratios or higher so those added qpf totals from the lake will fluff up big time.

There was one LE event back in March 3rd, 2009 that hit Milwaukee international airport with 14 inches of snow while 15-20 miles inland they got nothing

y 6 p.m. Monday, Milwaukee's Mitchell International Airport had recorded 14.4 inches of the light snow, beating the previous record snowfall on the same date of 9.4 inches in 2002.

Eight inches had fallen by daybreak, and the snow hampered commuters in the lakeshore areas of southeastern Wisconsin.

Snow plows worked through the day to clear roadways as the snow continued off and on.