Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

East and Gulf Coast Weather 2018

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Phil

Posted 26 February 2018 - 08:44 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19847 posts
  • LocationCabin John, MD.
Okay, it’s time to turn the page. After a string of dull winters, and three consecutive failed severe weather seasons, we’re due for a major turn-around as we approach solar minimum.

Some random thoughts, both locally and globally.

- March has huge boom/bust winter potential, and will most like be an either/or scenario. The pattern looks constipated either way, and these periods usually end with an “explosion” of sorts..so, we’ll see.

- We’ve avoided the February severe weather curse. It almost never fails here (locally)..severe weather in February leads to a crappy midsummer t-storm season.

- It was a SSW/-QBO winter. Expect changes to the background state over the coming year. What those changes are remains to be seen, but I suspect we’ll lose some of the warm season troughing we’ve seen in recent years. Maybe revert to a more classic Bermuda High style summer pattern.

- While 50mb easterlies aren’t historically favorable for Atlantic hurricane development, the +IOD/+SIOD and ongoing -NAO burst could most certainly turn that around in a huge way. So, considering the aggregate of factors, and historical variability, I’m leaning towards an active season again, unless the IO/EPAC/NAO tendencies reverse. In which case I reserve the right to change my mind. Lol.

- Next winter should be weak ENSO/low solar with a mixed/transitioning QBO (descending westerlies, while easterlies initially persist @ 50mb). Haven’t looked at the more exact analogs yet, but solar/tropical climo strongly indicates a flip to a stormier pattern. I thought that might occur this winter, and I guess it sort of is, with the March pattern upcoming. Perhaps the SSW/pattern change is merely a conduit through which these longer term pattern oscillations occur/manifest. Boreal winter/spring is usually when the tropical/extratropical teleconnections reshuffle, so it’s fitting.

Anyway, here’s to hoping for a more exciting weather year than the last several..both locally and globally. 🍻
Personal Weather Station, Live Stream on Wunderground: https://www.wundergr...BETHE62#history

Warm Season 2018
90+ degree days: 5
Thunderstorm Days: 5
Severe Days: 1
Total rainfall: 1.77”
Highest Gust: 54mph
Warmest High: 94.6*F
Warmest low: 65.5*F

Live Weather Stream

iFred

Posted 26 February 2018 - 10:02 AM

iFred

The Weather Forums

• (° ͟ʖ°)
  • 2384 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania.

This upcoming winter will most likely be my last in PA before moving back out west.

So here is how I see it;

> One big bang for March

> Cold and Wet Late March into April

> Active Late April into June

> Swamp returns for June, into September

- fun and stormy summer

- lots of precip

> active winter 2018-19

• Phil likes this

Phil

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:03 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19847 posts

This upcoming winter will most likely be my last in PA before moving back out west.

So here is how I see it;

> One big bang for March
> Cold and Wet Late March into April
> Active Late April into June
> Swamp returns for June, into September
- fun and stormy summer
- lots of precip
> active winter 2018-19

At this point, I’d be happy with just a return to deep cyclones and legitimate summer fronts again..we used to get them every 10 days or so, but since 2012/13 both have become less frequent.

PS: Missing 2019/20 (-QBO/+ENSO/Smin) might be your greatest weather regret of all time. Careful! 😝
Personal Weather Station, Live Stream on Wunderground: https://www.wundergr...BETHE62#history

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Andie

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:09 AM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in North Texas

> active winter 2018-19

What? No move to Texas? Thought you liked the food! No, snow, but we make up for it in storms and hurricanes!

We'll see more rain tonight and tomorrow. I'm sitting at 4" since last week.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

Phil

Posted 01 March 2018 - 09:34 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19847 posts
Yeah, this one is no joke.

9aWc8BJ.jpg

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

iFred

Posted 01 March 2018 - 01:15 PM

iFred

The Weather Forums

• (° ͟ʖ°)
  • 2384 posts

69mph gust for Doylestown.

66mph gust for Warminster.

62mph gust for Fort Washington.

61mph gust for Quakertown.

So...

5-7 hours of winds over 30moh

5+ hours of gusts over 50mph

1-2 hours of gusts over 60mph

2-3 inches of rain before the gusts

As little as 1 inch of paste to as much as 8 inches for Doylestown.

This might be the most intense storm since the blizzard of '16 and the strongest windstorm I've experienced since the August 31st storm in Seattle in 2015.

iFred

Posted 01 March 2018 - 01:15 PM

iFred

The Weather Forums

• (° ͟ʖ°)
  • 2384 posts

NAM for posterity.

Attached Files

Phil

Posted 01 March 2018 - 01:59 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19847 posts
This has a chance to approach the great windstorm of February 2011. That was a different setup (quick hitting pressure surge and jet streak during peak heating producing widespread 60-70mph winds), but there are some parallels in the dynamics aloft.

FWIW, the last time DCA/IAD gusted to/over hurricane force during a March windstorm was in 2008. We’re actually approaching the 10th anniversary of that event so matching it tonight/tomorrow would be a fantastic way to celebrate. 🎉

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Phil

Posted 01 March 2018 - 02:43 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19847 posts
Misting here now as isentropic lift increases ahead of the warm front. Some heavier rains encroaching from the west..cold front still west of the Apps but closing in rapidly.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Andie

Posted 01 March 2018 - 04:59 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
Well, my rain gauge runneth over !

5+ " of rain over the 8 days. 1 1/2" last night. 5 big cells went over in about 3 hours and just backed up the truck.

Ground is super saturated so anything coming your way east is coming with gusto ! Enjoy.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

Phil

Posted 01 March 2018 - 05:37 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19847 posts
Snowshoe just gusted to 73mph. It’s coming...

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Phil

Posted 01 March 2018 - 06:46 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19847 posts
Here we go..62mph in Davis, 56mph in Elkins, 59mph at the Grant County Airport. Still increasing as well.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Phil

Posted 01 March 2018 - 07:57 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19847 posts
Looks like we have our first weather station fatality.

The Dolly Sods Mtn station looks to have been blown over/off its mount, judging by the behavior of the wind vane and speed data. https://www.wundergr...pwsdash#history

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Phil

Posted 01 March 2018 - 09:34 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19847 posts
Huge gusts out west...72mph in Grantsville, MD, and 70mph in Baker, WV. Following the 73mph in Snowshoe WV earlier.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

weatherfan2012

Posted 01 March 2018 - 10:12 PM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Huge gusts out west...72mph in Grantsville, MD, and 70mph in Baker, WV. Following the 73mph in Snowshoe WV earlier.

serious wind event for sure incoming.also storm next week has better potential in a snow since could well be our past snow event we have been speculating for a while in March we will see certainly an active early March pattern.only thing I don't like about next week is DT hyping he has really stunk up the joint this winter.

Phil

Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:00 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19847 posts
One of the big tulip poplars just exploded in the woods behind my neighbor’s house. Will grab pics when the sub comes up and it’s safe. To think, this thing is still just getting started!

Dulles just hit 67mph.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

weatherfan2012

Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:18 AM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

One of the big tulip poplars just exploded in the woods behind my neighbor’s house. Will grab pics when the sub comes up and it’s safe. To think, this thing is still just getting started!
Dulles just hit 67mph.

this event is insane

Phil

Posted 02 March 2018 - 03:55 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19847 posts
Snowing now, gusts up around 60-65mph. Lots of branches and debris being thrown around.

Caught a video of our deck furnature getting tossed about...legit event.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Andie

Posted 02 March 2018 - 06:07 AM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
This is a pretty stunning event. Everything about it extreme.

I can vouch for the power of the collision of warm moist air with the front.
When it collided it was like turning on a faucet for us.

Looking forward to your video Phil.

Phil

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:25 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19847 posts
Dulles hit 71mph..goodness.

Holy mother of moly it’s roaring outside.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Phil

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:46 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19847 posts
This is amazing. Debris flying everywhere, both from trees and anthropogenic sources. House is shaking like a mofo. Easily 60-70mph here right now.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

weatherfan2012

Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:38 PM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

This is amazing. Debris flying everywhere, both from trees and anthropogenic sources. House is shaking like a mofo. Easily 60-70mph here right now.

imagine if this was snow we be having some serious blizzard conditions 😂but this wind event is amazing in it self have to go back to 2008 to see wind quite this intense and prolong.they are a lot of traffic lights out causing a mess on some of the roads.

Phil

Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:39 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19847 posts
Saw four trees go down within the span of an hour. There are shingles, siding, screens, shutters, leaves, branches, trash, and trashcans flying around the neighborhood.

Someone’s mailbox blew off its post. :lol:

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

weatherfan2012

Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:44 PM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Saw four trees go down within the span of an hour. There are shingles, siding, screens, shutters, leaves, branches, trash, and trashcans flying around the neighborhood.

the ssw doing it's work before the ssw pattern was about as lame as possible now it like a switch went off and pattern is going haywire.
  • Phil likes this

weatherfan2012

Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:05 PM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

sadly a 77 year old woman got killed today from a branch that fell today so this event has proven deadly.

weatherfan2012

Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:41 PM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
Models are trying to show the next coming of superstorm of 93 around March 12 :lol: lol because I don't by it 93 had a classic subtropical jet with it and was a winter coming off a Nino over all.this is a niña year not to say a big storm like that can't happen it just a lot rare in this day in age in ninas.I still think we could pull a past snow event in one of these storms between now and the 15 but I suspect it will be a case where it sneaks up on everyone that is sort of how niña March past storms work they sneak up with out much expection before hand.so we will see.as I said before and will say again our best snow winter years are years when we have a active subtropical jet 95-96 was a niña but the big difference between that one and this one was we had not only a prodominent negative nao blocking pattern but a prodominent active subtropical jet all winter long just about this winter and even current one the storms were phase types that tend to form to late which is quite typical with niña years those because we did score with the wind part with this one it makes it easyer to live with the fact we missed the snow side.hopefuly next winter and or the following one we see the subtropical jet and the Pacific jet come back along side with a blocking pattern and this winter marks the end of this lousy string we been in.

Andie

Posted 02 March 2018 - 06:47 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
Had a chance to grab any photos ?

Phil

Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:41 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19847 posts

Had a chance to grab any photos ?

Yes, and a few videos too. Will post tomorrow though, hitting the hay for tonight.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Phil

Posted 03 March 2018 - 07:41 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19847 posts
So, the local schools gusted to 76mph and 69mph, respectfully. That’s nuts. The lufft anemometer unit on my roof registered 71mph, which matches the reading at Dulles. Makes sense, since we share Dulles’ wind climo to a large degree.

Posting some video soon.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

iFred

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:31 AM

iFred

The Weather Forums

• (° ͟ʖ°)
  • 2384 posts

Seven hours of heavy wet snow, pasted on everything. Growing up in Western Washington, all I knew was wet snow, but I had never experienced it like this.

• Phil likes this

weatherfan2012

Posted 03 March 2018 - 10:41 AM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

So, the local schools gusted to 76mph and 69mph, respectfully. That’s nuts. The lufft anemometer unit on my roof registered 71mph, which matches the reading at Dulles. Makes sense, since we share Dulles’ wind climo to a large degree.
Posting some video soon.

it's like a whole new world out there today with the more calmer winds no more roar.

Phil

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:08 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19847 posts
Video of the first “big” gust. This one was 64mph right at dawn, so the light was crappy.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Andie

Posted 03 March 2018 - 04:59 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts

Models are trying to show the next coming of superstorm of 93 around March 12 :lol: lol because I don't by it 93 had a classic subtropical jet with it and was a winter coming off a Nino over all.this is a niña year not to say a big storm like that can't happen it just a lot rare in this day in age in ninas.I still think we could pull a past snow event in one of these storms between now and the 15 but I suspect it will be a case where it sneaks up on everyone that is sort of how niña March past storms work they sneak up with out much expection before hand.so we will see.as I said before and will say again our best snow winter years are years when we have a active subtropical jet 95-96 was a niña but the big difference between that one and this one was we had not only a prodominent negative nao blocking pattern but a prodominent active subtropical jet all winter long just about this winter and even current one the storms were phase types that tend to form to late which is quite typical with niña years those because we did score with the wind part with this one it makes it easyer to live with the fact we missed the snow side.hopefuly next winter and or the following one we see the subtropical jet and the Pacific jet come back along side with a blocking pattern and this winter marks the end of this lousy string we been in.

Wow! weather, Try a period and a paragraph occasionally.

That stream of consciousness thing almost cost me my eyesight ! :)
Loved the enthusiasm though.

Phil

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:27 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19847 posts
A train car was literally blown off a bridge into the Susquehanna River yesterday. Wow.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

weatherfan2012

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:33 PM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

A train car was literally blown off a bridge into the Susquehanna River yesterday. Wow.

Amazing stuff there! 

Phil

Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:41 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19847 posts
The roof damage is so widespread. It’s actually very hard to find houses that aren’t missing shingles/shutters/etc.

GzRSaBQ.jpg

RtWKyvr.jpg

oAVG8xH.jpg

O95nuZt.jpg

0LTkTJ9.jpg

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Phil

Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:49 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19847 posts
These are within 1 mile of my house:

i6FeUpZ.jpg

LelanwT.jpg

nTSJHvD.jpg

Cwu1x7Y.jpg

FKHe2bP.jpg

kxQBHoW.jpg

OrZOZq1.jpg

Dibnsj7.jpg

SHOAzQH.jpg

LggClbS.jpg

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Phil

Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:57 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19847 posts
As for our place..could have been worse.

2V2UNCl.jpg

GLkHoKk.jpg

1kQHlgB.jpg

s6is9kk.jpg

CPE58Gk.jpg

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Phil

Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:59 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19847 posts
I actually caught the furniture blowout on camera. :lol:

• Jginmartini likes this

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

weatherfan2012

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:03 PM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

I actually caught the furniture blowout on camera. :lol:

nice catch there Phil :lol: :lol: :lol: 

• Phil likes this

Phil

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:08 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19847 posts
A few more. Shutters and trees mostly.

2Tn0ebe.jpg

GUB3btO.jpg

DZn2tT8.jpg

hmv4SUs.jpg

UhTseIm.jpg

IxXKeCs.jpg

e2wB6cW.jpg

BJe8blX.jpg

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Andie

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:17 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
Quite a blow up,there !

Hope your place came out better.
  • Phil likes this

Phil

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:25 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19847 posts
Stole these from twitter/AmWx forums.

0lRNSoG.jpg

BPpddAc.png

wPaY3lM.png

Oy4YjRd.png

OAOMkxx.png

WnKz0Ib.png

8PfqryI.png

nG0y4EL.png

VRQiWEB.png

GQEYo1u.jpg

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Phil

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:34 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19847 posts
Here’s a roof blown off, flipped semis, and a few others taken from twitter/AmWx:

6U6K5bN.jpg

kKvmnGp.jpg

fhc9NTK.jpg

vtjPjZ8.jpg

f2tZAbt.png

98pPcrN.png

GtIzoMH.png

yxCS1oX.png

cBR79ty.jpg

eJ2ghYN.png

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Andie

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:04 AM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
Hope this isn't a preview of our Spring.

weatherfan2012

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:01 AM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
Wednesday looks like a classic Miller B most likely mostly a screw event here those a inch or 2 is a slight possablty on grass and car tops knowing most Miller B events but nj pa northern maryland and new England of course will likely get the goods.march 12-13 Those is interesting and could be the storm that brings our region that late season past snow storm that we have speculated on.

Phil

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:37 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19847 posts
Yeah, I remember March 2013. Our biggest snow event was on the 28th of the month, IIRC.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Phil

Posted 06 March 2018 - 05:17 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19847 posts
Nippy low of 25*F this morning. Now raining and 38*F.

Looks like Philly/burbs are gonna get hammered with heavy snow tonight and tomorrow. We’ll probably miss this one by ~ 100 miles. Hoping the next one takes a more favorable track.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

weatherfan2012

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:23 PM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Nippy low of 25*F this morning. Now raining and 38*F.
Looks like Philly/burbs are gonna get hammered with heavy snow tonight and tomorrow. We’ll probably miss this one by ~ 100 miles. Hoping the next one takes a more favorable track.

typical of Miller Bs the one Sunday night Monday still in my opinion is the one to watch for us.

Phil

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:32 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19847 posts
Over to snow here..actually sticking some.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream