Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

June 2018 Observations and Discussion

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Tom

Posted 29 May 2018 - 03:43 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 16485 posts
  • LocationDes Plaines, IL

As we are about to close the calendar on a very warm/hot month of May, we will open the 1st month of met Summer in a couple days.  It has already felt like summer for pretty much everyone on here.  With that being said, are you in need of some cooler weather?  Seasonal weather?  I know some lawns/gardens need a bit of a drink, esp in the central/southern MW.  According to the cycling pattern, my thoughts were for a transition towards a cooler/seasonal outlook between June 4th-6th that should last a couple weeks.

Last night's 00z EPS signing that tune...the southern Plains, esp TX/OK and the TX Panhandle region will continue to bake...those across the north will likely see an active "ring of fire" pattern this month.  Should be a more exciting period of weather during the 1st 2 weeks of the month.

DeXB5RrXkAEPRjs.jpg

Tom

Posted 29 May 2018 - 04:24 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 16485 posts

I mentioned a few days ago that there would be a system coming out of the Rockies right around the opening days of June that could be  severe wx producer.  The latest 00z GEFS still showing the potential and nearly identical storm track using the LRC.  I believe this has OMA/LNK peeps near the bullseye for excitement. Hang in there, I think this may be your turn for some action.

gfs-ememb_lowlocs_us_19.png

gfs-ens_apcpn24_us_18.png

Michael's model is suggesting a strong signal...

DeW_LLnXcAE1XoA.jpg

OKwx2k4

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:28 AM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2830 posts
Your third pic only shows up as the .jpg name unless I long press it on Mobile and open manually. Does it do that for everyone? I've noticed it in a few of your other posts recently also but thought it may have been a glitch of some kind. It looks like it's missing the [ ] both ends of it. Anyway, yeah, that looks like a pretty monster severe outbreak shaping up!

OKwx2k4

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:29 AM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2830 posts
Here's the WSI image...
Attached File  DeW_LLnXcAE1XoA.jpg   87.82KB   0 downloads

LNK_Weather

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:39 AM

LNK_Weather

Apparently my posts are garbage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3079 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE (The Shaft City)

Your third pic only shows up as the .jpg name unless I long press it on Mobile and open manually. Does it do that for everyone? I've noticed it in a few of your other posts recently also but thought it may have been a glitch of some kind. It looks like it's missing the [ ] both ends of it. Anyway, yeah, that looks like a pretty monster severe outbreak shaping up!

Worked fine on my computer and phone.

2018 Severe Weather Season Statistics for my apartment:

Tornado Watches: 2 (Last: 6/11/2018)

Tornado Warnings: 0 (Last: 5/9/2016)

Severe Thunderstorm Watches: 3 (Last: 6/6/2018)

Severe Thunderstorm Warnings: 1 (Last: 6/9/2018)

SPC Day 1 High Risks: 0 (Last: 6/5/2008)

SPC Day 1 Moderate Risks: 1 (Last: 6/1/2018)

SPC Day 1 Enhanced Risks: 2 (Last: 6/11/2018)

SPC Day 1 Slight Risks: 5 (Last: 6/6/2018)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

>1" Snowfalls for Lincoln Municipal Airport in 2017-2018: 12/23-12/24 (3.6), 1/22 (1.8), 2/5 (1.6), 2/6 (2.0), 2/9-2/10 (2.8), 2/21-2/22 (1.9), 4/14-4/15 (2.0)

Total Snowfall for 2017-2018 @ KLNK: 21.4"               Coldest Low: -19*F (1/1/2018)

First flake of the season: 10/31/2017 @ 1:17 PM        Last flake of the season: 4/15/2018 @ 9:22 AM

jaster220

Posted 30 May 2018 - 08:54 AM

jaster220

St. Joseph Lighthouse January 2014

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4533 posts
  • LocationKRMY (Marshall, MI) KBEH (work)

"Twin Twisters" witnessed in Colorado yesterday...you could compare this shot with some of the screen shots from the movie "Twister"...

DeWFcMlV4AAk7QW.jpg

:lol:  That's what I thought this pic was from when I first saw it. Serious Stovepipes right there!  

• Tom likes this

Tom

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:09 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 16485 posts

The JMA weeklies are painting a classic "ring of fire" pattern across our sub forum.  Nearly perfect placement of the ridge in the SW and a NW Flow pattern should keep things active.  A more seasonal look as far as temps go and precip chances should be decent if your in the Upper Midwest/MW/GL's.  I think parts of the Plains will be hit or miss as this ridge may in fact be strong enough to deflect any storm action farther to the north.

30 day mean temps show a torch across the inter-mountain west,desert SW and southern Plains...this was my pre-season idea for how the summer would evolve. 

Y201805.D3012_gl2.png

Week 2 rain forecast...

Y201805.D3012_gl0.png

Week 3-4....

Y201805.D3012_gl0.png

Tom

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:22 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 16485 posts

CFSv2 trends for the month of June....another warm month ahead but dry???

summaryCFSv2.NaT2m.201806.gif

summaryCFSv2.NaPrec.201806.gif

The model does agree with a strong ridge in the west/SW but I'm not sure I agree with all the widespread warmth to the north and east.  Seasonal temps would make more sense, esp if we see a lot of rain which I expect to see.

CFSv2.z700.20180531.201806.gif

OKwx2k4

Posted 31 May 2018 - 05:34 AM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2830 posts

CFSv2 trends for the month of June....another warm month ahead but dry???

summaryCFSv2.NaT2m.201806.gif

summaryCFSv2.NaPrec.201806.gif

The model does agree with a strong ridge in the west/SW but I'm not sure I agree with all the widespread warmth to the north and east. Seasonal temps would make more sense, esp if we see a lot of rain which I expect to see.

CFSv2.z700.20180531.201806.gif

Looks basically like a May repeat only further west with the ridging. I like it.

Tom

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:14 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 16485 posts

00z EPS 2m temps June -5th-9th....still warm out farther west and hot down south, but more seasonal near the GL's...

DehvCOHU0AEsIsl.jpg

OKwx2k4

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:19 AM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2830 posts

00z EPS 2m temps June -5th-9th....still warm out farther west and hot down south, but more seasonal near the GL's...

DehvCOHU0AEsIsl.jpg

Pukefest right there. First heat advisory day of the year expected here tomorrow. I hate summer.
  • jaster220 likes this

OKwx2k4

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:28 AM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2830 posts
Just like clockwork, the Arctic ice preservation pattern is getting underway. Here's to another good summer up there. Ice melt enthusiasts are starting to get disappointed again.
Attached File  dmi_temp_80N.thumb.png.393500e3a5dd5acca9ca4ede4bae7c3d.png   335.22KB   0 downloads

http://sites.uci.edu...c-temperatures/

It seems backwards to me when the apocalyptic people actually want to see a period like 2007-2012 up there again.
  • jaster220 and Thunder98 like this

Niko

Posted 31 May 2018 - 10:02 AM

Niko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4624 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

Pukefest right there. First heat advisory day of the year expected here tomorrow. I hate summer.

I think if you move North, you will not hate Summer. Summer is a beautiful season. You might want to be in a more cooler, less humid climate, (although, humidity and warm to even hot temps will be a real possibility, but more frequent cool shots from Canada will be occurring) and at least it will not be as harsh as what you are experiencing there where you are in Oklahoma. Also, this might benefit you, in terms of seeing more snow in the Winter. Something to think about.

Tom

Posted 31 May 2018 - 10:40 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 16485 posts

MCS signal for LNK area Friday night still looks good, unfortunately, OMA may miss this one again as the tendency for these convective systems are to drag south.  12z Euro crushes LNK area around midnight....if trends hold, this would be the biggest rain maker of the Spring/Summer season for OMA.  The Euro paints a solid 1-2+" of rain.

Tom

Posted 31 May 2018 - 02:23 PM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 16485 posts

If the JMA is right, June is going to be a scorcher for the Plains...

DehQ55MVQAEq1-F.jpg

OKwx2k4

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:38 PM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2830 posts

I think if you move North, you will not hate Summer. Summer is a beautiful season. You might want to be in a more cooler, less humid climate, (although, humidity and warm to even hot temps will be a real possibility, but more frequent cool shots from Canada will be occurring) and at least it will not be as harsh as what you are experiencing there where you are in Oklahoma. Also, this might benefit you, in terms of seeing more snow in the Winter. Something to think about.

I guess I should clarify. I don't hate summer, per se. Here in the Ozark foothills, it's the second most beautiful time of the year. When everything is healthy as it is this year, it's one of the most picturesque places in Oklahoma and there is literally a creek or stream nearby everywhere you could live here. The negatives are that when it's so green, even without extra Gulf swamp airmasses, the trees are a lot like the corn belts in that under extreme heat, they aspirate tons of water every day back to atmosphere. Also, in 15 years now, I've never worked in an AC controlled environment. Tough to do in my climate. I've honestly considered moving north over the next 18-24 months but it would need to be somewhere similar to where I live but with more snow in the winter. I think the snows and cold winters will return to this area over the next 2 years or so, however, with the Atlantic flipping in the recent months. The Pacific should follow suit in the next 6-12 months and we'll see more continental cold re-centered around winter and early spring over the central CONUS.

Niko

Posted 31 May 2018 - 05:42 PM

Niko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4624 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

I guess I should clarify. I don't hate summer, per se. Here in the Ozark foothills, it's the second most beautiful time of the year. When everything is healthy as it is this year, it's one of the most picturesque places in Oklahoma and there is literally a creek or stream nearby everywhere you could live here. The negatives are that when it's so green, even without extra Gulf swamp airmasses, the trees are a lot like the corn belts in that under extreme heat, they aspirate tons of water every day back to atmosphere. Also, in 15 years now, I've never worked in an AC controlled environment. Tough to do in my climate. I've honestly considered moving north over the next 18-24 months but it would need to be somewhere similar to where I live but with more snow in the winter. I think the snows and cold winters will return to this area over the next 2 years or so, however, with the Atlantic flipping in the recent months. The Pacific should follow suit in the next 6-12 months and we'll see more continental cold re-centered around winter and early spring over the central CONUS.

Isn't Oklahoma a mild climate? Not sure where you live has an elevation or not, or if you tend to get more snow and cold.

OKwx2k4

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:21 PM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2830 posts

Isn't Oklahoma a mild climate? Not sure where you live has an elevation or not, or if you tend to get more snow and cold.

I'm in a unique climate zone here. I'm at just over 1000 feet. My average snowfall here in the NE corner is 8.1 in while most other areas nearby run about 5 to 6. We run a little cooler here in winter also, depending on which side the fronts come from. (My county owned the state low temp record of -27 until Nowata beat us in 2011 at -31) Only colder area is the NW high plains part of the state which is much more arid and higher in elevation.

OKwx2k4

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:26 PM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2830 posts
Oklahoma topographic map. I'm on the 1000-2000ft area in the east-northeast corner.
Attached File  OK-HIGH-RES-TOPO-FINAL_2017-10-23.jpg   114.11KB   0 downloads

Tom

Posted 01 June 2018 - 03:56 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 16485 posts

"Friday Night Boomer's" looking good tonight for NE peeps...large area of Enhanced Risk across NE...

DemnMZsXUAAhl2A.jpg

06z High Rez NAM still advertising a nasty squall line and tracking south of OMA, however, the WRF model keeps OMA peeps in the action...00z Euro and the NAM are pretty much showing the same.  Hopefully both cities can cash in tonight.

nam3km_ref_frzn_ncus_22.png

wrf-arw2_ref_frzn_ncus_27.png

Tom

Posted 01 June 2018 - 04:14 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 16485 posts

Temps have jumped into the mid 70's, while temps are already crashing into the upper 50's in the northern burbs, the "Pneumonia Front" is knocking on my door.  This is going to be a shock to the system after all the 90's we have seen of late but a very welcomed break from the heat.  It's the bipolar relationship we have living next to the lake this time of year when it brings the good times.

Both the GFS/FV-s GFS are starting to "figure" out the "Ring of Fire" pattern later next week as an intense heat dome builds right where we all had been expecting it to build across the central Plains.  The northern periphery is looking far more active now across portions of NE into the Upper MW/MW and into the Lower Lakes region.

00z GFS is looking good for the ag belt across IA into IL/IN...KS/MO region is not gonna do well in this type of pattern.  This fits the LRC quite well.

gfs_apcpn_ncus_40.png

OKwx2k4

Posted 01 June 2018 - 04:39 AM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2830 posts
The one-eyed monster from hell....
Attached File  gfs_z500_mslp_us_28.png   131.16KB   0 downloads

Niko

Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:21 AM

Niko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4624 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

Its partly cloudy here now w drier, cooler weather arriving later tanite. Temps could actually fall into the 40s in the evening for lows and also next week as well, b4 it starts warming up into the 80s again. Nice refreshing change coming.

LNK_Weather

Posted 01 June 2018 - 06:09 AM

LNK_Weather

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3079 posts

Happy June! We open the month here with a very hot day/one more day with my blinds shut. SPC has placed us in an enhanced risk zone for tonight. I'm kinda iffy on the placement on that enhanced zone, so I'm gonna hold off on updating my signature for now. 80.8*F.

• Niko likes this

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

>1" Snowfalls for Lincoln Municipal Airport in 2017-2018: 12/23-12/24 (3.6), 1/22 (1.8), 2/5 (1.6), 2/6 (2.0), 2/9-2/10 (2.8), 2/21-2/22 (1.9), 4/14-4/15 (2.0)

Total Snowfall for 2017-2018 @ KLNK: 21.4"               Coldest Low: -19*F (1/1/2018)

First flake of the season: 10/31/2017 @ 1:17 PM        Last flake of the season: 4/15/2018 @ 9:22 AM

westMJim

Posted 01 June 2018 - 06:46 AM

westMJim

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1035 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, mi

Here is the CPC’s long-range guess for June

http://www.cpc.noaa....dictions/30day/

and the whole summer season

http://www.cpc.noaa....onal.php?lead=1

Not sure if I buy that JJA guess or not. If so it would go from dry to wet with what looks like might be a NW flow. We shall see.

Niko

Posted 01 June 2018 - 07:48 AM

Niko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4624 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

Currently cloudy and still a bit muggy. Cannot wait for drier air to move in. It will feel greeeaaaat!!!!! :D

Niko

Posted 01 June 2018 - 08:12 AM

Niko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4624 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

Here is the CPC’s long-range guess for June

http://www.cpc.noaa....dictions/30day/

and the whole summer season

http://www.cpc.noaa....onal.php?lead=1

Not sure if I buy that JJA guess or not. If so it would go from dry to wet with what looks like might be a NW flow. We shall see.

Not too thrilled w the dry slot over my region. Sprinklers will have to water overtime I guess. Hope that changes. We need some rain here. Alberto did no good at all, although, it did provide Jaster some needed water and YBY as well, I am assuming.

Bryan1117

Posted 01 June 2018 - 08:20 AM

Bryan1117

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

Happy June! We open the month here with a very hot day/one more day with my blinds shut. SPC has placed us in an enhanced risk zone for tonight. I'm kinda iffy on the placement on that enhanced zone, so I'm gonna hold off on updating my signature for now. 80.8*F.

Looking at the short term models, both the Lincoln and Omaha metro areas look like we both could be impacted by damaging winds from a southeastward moving squall line/MCS later on this evening. My thinking is that Lincoln has a better shot at seeing severe weather, but both metros could see some intense storms and heavy rainfall tonight for sure. Just hoping this doesn’t find a way to skirt us to the southwest or split again before it makes it way towards Omaha.

Bring it on!

LNK_Weather

Posted 01 June 2018 - 09:24 AM

LNK_Weather

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3079 posts

Well the moderate risk is a surprise. 89.6*F.

Tom

Posted 01 June 2018 - 09:28 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 16485 posts

Well the moderate risk is a surprise. 89.6*F.

This is a large area...

Den1e2wX4AAMMgG.jpg

Hawkeye

Posted 01 June 2018 - 09:34 AM

Hawkeye

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1372 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids, IA

I'd really like to see some better storm action this month.  Des Moines NWS, yesterday, tweeted the satellite loop from May into mid June 2008, the period of the great flood here in eastern Iowa.  It was one wave of heavy storms after another.  That was a devastating period for the city, but boy was it fun to follow as a weather geek.

https://twitter.com/...261306144108544

season snowfall: 39.5"

'16-17: 17.9"      '15-16: 20.0"      '14-15: 30.4"      '13-14: 48.3"      '12-13: 34.1"

Average snowfall: ~30"

LNK_Weather

Posted 01 June 2018 - 09:44 AM

LNK_Weather

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3079 posts

This is a large area...

Den1e2wX4AAMMgG.jpg

Yeah I don't agree with the placement. I think it needs to be rotated 90° and moved a bit East/Northeast for it to capture the bow echo at its worst. Everywhere around it can be enhanced.

OKwx2k4

Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:51 AM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2830 posts

Yeah I don't agree with the placement. I think it needs to be rotated 90° and moved a bit East/Northeast for it to capture the bow echo at its worst. Everywhere around it can be enhanced.

Either way. Very impressive. Good luck!

St Paul Storm

Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:52 AM

St Paul Storm

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1587 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN
80 and partly sunny here right now with lower humidity. It’s only in the low 40s up in the arrowhead along the north shore.

OKwx2k4

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:04 AM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2830 posts
I'm gonna lose my zero for 90s here in an hour or so. :( I was the last spot.
Attached File  tmax.ge90(2).png   141.37KB   0 downloads
The humidity is disgusting today.
Attached File  current.RELH.grad.png   148.64KB   0 downloads

OKwx2k4

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:10 AM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2830 posts
Last but not least...
Attached File  image1.png   701.76KB   0 downloads
Opening summer with a bang. I'm sure there will be a lot of these to come.

Illinois_WX

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:01 PM

Illinois_WX

Nebraskan Living In Chicago

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1098 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL (Uptown)

Nah fam I think you guys get drilled. Please take videos and send them to me when the storms get there!! I miss seeing storms on the horizon out there :(

LINCOLN NEBRASKA SNOW TOTALS:

13-14 : 0"

14-15: 0"

15-16" : 0"

16-17 : 0"

17-18 : Probably 10", so in other words, 0" ​ 5.5"

# of times it was too warm and ended up being 33 and rain during these years : 20

# of times the storm essentially turned into dust: 25

# of times the storm looked at Nebraska and was like "yeah, good joke" , then ran to Chicago: 50

LNK_Weather

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:22 PM

LNK_Weather

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3079 posts

Nah fam I think you guys get drilled. Please take videos and send them to me when the storms get there!! I miss seeing storms on the horizon out there :(

I was basically saying it should include us lol. I'm not sure why they have the Central Nebraska boner right not as I think the primary threat stays East of Grand Island.

LNK_Weather

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:32 PM

LNK_Weather

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3079 posts

Lol. How freakin' pathetic. KOAX is the most garbage radar site out there. Always going down RIGHT before the biggest weather events. Not even exaggerating, this is the third inconvenient time this year it has gone down during or before a significant weather event. f***** pathetic. I thought they fixed this back in the fall when they took it down for a week to fix this.

EDIT: Okay I swallow this, it's back on. Still, they need to do something about it constantly going down.

LNK_Weather

Posted 01 June 2018 - 02:32 PM

LNK_Weather

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3079 posts

In addition to the significant wind gusts, HRRR is also trying to advertise flash flooding as a potential threat. It'd be funny if some people went from being well below average in May to being above average for June in the first two days of the month.

Illinois_WX

Posted 01 June 2018 - 03:09 PM

Illinois_WX

Nebraskan Living In Chicago

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1098 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL (Uptown)

I was basically saying it should include us lol. I'm not sure why they have the Central Nebraska boner right not as I think the primary threat stays East of Grand Island.

My bad dude! Totally agree!! They alwayssss do though I hate it. They’re so dumb honestly the HRRR and NAM have consistently shown you guys are in a good spot, easily wort warranting a moderate risk for winds atleast. I’m excited for you!

LINCOLN NEBRASKA SNOW TOTALS:

13-14 : 0"

14-15: 0"

15-16" : 0"

16-17 : 0"

17-18 : Probably 10", so in other words, 0" ​ 5.5"

# of times it was too warm and ended up being 33 and rain during these years : 20

# of times the storm essentially turned into dust: 25

# of times the storm looked at Nebraska and was like "yeah, good joke" , then ran to Chicago: 50

LNK_Weather

Posted 01 June 2018 - 03:17 PM

LNK_Weather

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3079 posts

My bad dude! Totally agree!! They alwayssss do though I hate it. They’re so dumb honestly the HRRR and NAM have consistently shown you guys are in a good spot, easily wort warranting a moderate risk for winds atleast. I’m excited for you!

OAX is on the bandwagon too. They're saying the best chance for severe wx is West of a Fairbury-Norfolk-Yankton line lol. Idk what model they're looking at.

Niko

Posted 01 June 2018 - 03:52 PM

Niko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4624 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

Had some downpours earlier as the CF came on through. Felt nice. Air is much drier now and skies have cleared nicely.

LNK_Weather

Posted 01 June 2018 - 06:55 PM

LNK_Weather

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3079 posts

Oh no, Norfolk is under a tornado warning!

The National Weather Service in Omaha has issued a

* Tornado Warning for...
Central Madison County in northeastern Nebraska...
Southwestern Wayne County in northeastern Nebraska...
Southeastern Pierce County in northeastern Nebraska...
Northwestern Stanton County in northeastern Nebraska...

* Until 1030 PM CDT.

* At 954 PM CDT, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado
was located 8 miles west of Madison, or 14 miles southwest of
Norfolk, moving northeast at 55 mph.

HAZARD...Tornado and ping pong ball size hail.

SOURCE...Radar indicated rotation.

IMPACT...Flying debris will be dangerous to those caught without
shelter. Mobile homes will be damaged or destroyed.
Damage to roofs, windows, and vehicles will occur. Tree
damage is likely.

* This dangerous storm will be near...
Battle Creek around 1000 PM CDT.
Norfolk around 1010 PM CDT.
Hadar around 1015 PM CDT.
Hoskins around 1020 PM CDT.

This includes the following highways...
Highway 275 in Nebraska between mile markers 70 and 84.
Highway 81 in Nebraska between mile markers 146 and 163.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

TAKE COVER NOW! Move to a basement or an interior room on the lowest
floor of a sturdy building. Avoid windows. If you are outdoors, in a
mobile home, or in a vehicle, move to the closest substantial shelter
and protect yourself from flying debris.

Edit: A tornado has now been confirmed with this warned cell. Hope it's not too big, tornadoes at night are dangerous.

LNK_Weather

Posted 01 June 2018 - 07:02 PM

LNK_Weather

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3079 posts

Severe thunderstorm watch issued for here.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HAS ISSUED SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH
148 IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 AM CDT SATURDAY FOR THE FOLLOWING AREAS

IN IOWA THIS WATCH INCLUDES 5 COUNTIES

IN SOUTHWEST IOWA

HARRISON MILLS POTTAWATTAMIE
SHELBY

IN WEST CENTRAL IOWA

MONONA

IN NEBRASKA THIS WATCH INCLUDES 17 COUNTIES

IN EAST CENTRAL NEBRASKA

BURT DODGE DOUGLAS
SARPY SAUNDERS WASHINGTON

IN NORTHEAST NEBRASKA

CEDAR COLFAX CUMING
STANTON THURSTON WAYNE

IN SOUTHEAST NEBRASKA

CASS GAGE JOHNSON
LANCASTER OTOE

THIS INCLUDES THE CITIES OF ASHLAND, BEATRICE, BELLEVUE, BLAIR,
COLERIDGE, COUNCIL BLUFFS, DECATUR, DUNLAP, FREMONT, GLENWOOD,
HARLAN, HARTINGTON, LA VISTA, LAUREL, LINCOLN, LOGAN, LYONS,
MACY, MAPLETON, MISSOURI VALLEY, NEBRASKA CITY, OAKLAND, OMAHA,
ONAWA, PAPILLION, PENDER, PLATTSMOUTH, RANDOLPH, SCHUYLER,
STANTON, STERLING, TECUMSEH, TEKAMAH, WAHOO, WALTHILL, WAYNE,
WEST POINT, WINNEBAGO, WISNER, WOODBINE, AND YUTAN.

LNK_Weather

Posted 01 June 2018 - 07:42 PM

LNK_Weather

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3079 posts

Velocity scans are showing widespread 70-75mph gusts. Scattered 80mph gusts too. Never seen some of the shades I am seeing on velocity radar. Thinking my corner of Lincoln will just be missed by the winds, which is a d**n shame. At least we'll (hopefully) get some of the soaking rains.

EDIT: Lol just kidding we can't even get that lol.

LNK_Weather

Posted 01 June 2018 - 08:44 PM

LNK_Weather

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3079 posts

Humid out and I see distant lightning. At least I'll get a decent light show before bed if nothing else.

LNK_Weather

Posted 01 June 2018 - 09:02 PM

LNK_Weather

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3079 posts

Outflow boundary just passed with wind gusts at least 60mph. I can totally see why the severe thunderstorm warning wasn't kept for here  :rolleyes:

LNK_Weather

Posted 01 June 2018 - 09:39 PM

LNK_Weather

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3079 posts

Glad to see Omaha getting a decent hit with heavy rain finally. We're getting some good stuff here too. Severe weather wise this was a bust, but the gust front delivered severe winds and can't ever complain about rain when we get it. Beggars can't be choosers in a dust bowl year like this. I have a bone or two to pick with multiple NWS offices, but I do that rant tomorrow. I think I'm done on here for the night. Hope you guys enjoyed seeing me talk to myself in here!

• OKwx2k4 likes this

Tom

Posted 02 June 2018 - 03:56 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 16485 posts

Yesterday felt like a September-like day you'd see from a sharp early Autumn cold front.  Daytime temps held in the low/mid 60's most of the day with a stiff breeze out of the NNE.  Waking up this morning in the low 50's continues that theme.  Refreshing.