December 2015 in the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

Too bad the moisture went to s**t for Tuesday, the 0z definitely has the cold part right.

Perhaps the GEM will give us the best of both worlds!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Are you near skyline?

Yeah, right off Skyline. Much further south than you though, I'm closer to Thompson right along the crest at 1,100'.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ÂşF

Coldest daily low: -42ÂşF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

The 0z GFS is about as perfect as it gets for a serious low level cold snap.  That wierd cold ULL is still shown entering the picture also.  I could see many sub zero readings popping up east of the Cascades especially in Oregon.  I would love to have some snow on the ground going into this.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The 0z GFS is about as perfect as it gets for a serious low level cold snap.  That wierd cold ULL is still shown entering the picture also.  I could see many sub zero readings popping up east of the Cascades especially in Oregon.  I would love to have some snow on the ground going into this.

If we could even get one inch tonight I would be happy. 

• Like 1

Snow just doest want to quit out there with yet another heavy band moving in. Now down to 31Âş and everything completely frozen up and caked with snow. So so beautiful.

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Snow just doest want to quit out there with yet another heavy band moving in. Now down to 31Âş and everything completely frozen up and caked with snow. So so beautiful.

I would sure like to know when it's going to be our turn for something nice up here.  This snow drought the Puget Sound Basin is in is beyond frustrating.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

That is one goofy a** setup next weekend on the 0z.

GEM looks like our winner!

Cold Season 2023/24:

That pattern next weekend is certainly odd alright.  A perfect inversion pattern at the surface but with cold mid and upper levels.  I suppose it could enhance what will already be a pretty cold situation.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just took a walk to the barn - the arena lights showcase the heavy snow here really well. Got about an inch and a half on everything. Missed this.

Radar sure looks like it will all be coming to an end shortly.

(Sorry for the bad quality and size - this site sure does some damage to pictures.)

Very nice!

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

It just ain't going to do it here.  So close to snow for a couple of hours now, but no cigar.  The amount of moisture that has gone to waste with a borderline temperature profile here over the past week is simply heart breaking.  Totally amazing that not one of the scenarios has played out favorably.  Living in one of the shittiest spots in an overall so so climate is exhausting.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Weren't you all sandy-vaginaed earlier today about the fact you weren't gonna get anything?

He should try living here.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It just ain't going to do it here. So close to snow for a couple of hours now, but no cigar. The amount of moisture that has gone to waste with a borderline temperature profile here over the past week is simply heart breaking. Totally amazing that not one of the scenarios has played out favorably. Living in one of the shittiest spots in an overall so so climate is exhausting.

Close but no cigar

I just want to say how much I have taken you all for granted.

I am in Chicago right now and under a Winter Storm Warning for a storm tomorrow that I've been tracking for over a week. Yet I've never been less excited for a winter storm in my life.

It just isn't the same without you guys and definitely underscores how special snow is in Seattle.

I've been spending at least as much time today tracking the rain/snow in Western Washington as I have the storm I'm about to experience here!  :lol:

• Like 2

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

I am in Chicago right now and under a Winter Storm Warning for a storm tomorrow that I've been tracking for over a week. Yet I've never been less excited for a winter storm in my life.

It just isn't the same without you guys and definitely underscores how special snow is in Seattle.

Just living two winters in north central WA amplifies this point. Snow events in areas outside our shaky region quickly changes perceptions. Without exasperation, there's far less pay off.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

I've been spending at least as much time today tracking the rain/snow in Western Washington as I have the storm I'm about to experience here! :lol:

Snow in the PNW is special. Just not the same.

• Like 1

Just took a walk to the barn - the arena lights showcase the heavy snow here really well. Got about an inch and a half on everything. Missed this.

Radar sure looks like it will all be coming to an end shortly.

(Sorry for the bad quality and size - this site sure does some damage to pictures.)

Nice! Been snowing for hours here but it's been just a tad to warm so we have absolutely nothing to show for it. Quite jealous for sure! Would have been nice to have some snow going into this inversion. 

I thought Covington was the Puget Sound's best kept secret for snow and cold?

Who ever said that?  It does alright for cold, but for snow it sucks.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Maybe. I still think earlier would have helped a bit, though.

I absolutely agree. Early this morning I had some very light showers come through and they were almost all snow without even needing much evaporation cooling, but the main band didn't come through for many hours and by then the temp had climbed several degrees and I pretty much watched 33-34F the whole day with some form of snow, rain or a mix. I was in downtown for the past 2 hours and I watched it snow moderately for 2 whole hours while the temp was around 34, of course no accumulation. I honestly think if it had come through early in the morning, it would have made the small difference needed for accumulation.

I'm at least thankful that I was able to get a few hours of snowfall today, but it does leave me wanting more knowing that we were very close to a true widespread event. 

• Like 1

I've been spending at least as much time today tracking the rain/snow in Western Washington as I have the storm I'm about to experience here!  :lol:

I know for a fact when I finally live where it snows I will be on here trying to unravel what will happen here.  We have seen that from other members that have moved to snowier climates.  I'm sure I'll be able to be a whole lot more objective when that time comes also.  This climate has driven me partially insane.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I know for a fact when I finally live where it snows I will be on here trying to unravel what will happen here. We have seen that from other members that have moved to snowier climates. I'm sure I'll be able to be a whole lot more objective when that time comes also. This climate has driven me partially insane.

When you move our winters will become like the 1800s and you will be jealous.

So true, snow in Salt Lake isn't the same as snow here.

But on the other hand that climate doesn't drive you to the brink of despair.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I would sure like to know when it's going to be our turn for something nice up here.  This snow drought the Puget Sound Basin is in is beyond frustrating.

I understand the frustration but it isn't like PDX got much of a real snow event today. As Mark Nelsen says, it is a "conversational" snow event. Most of us saw some snow fall but have nothing on the ground, only some higher elevation areas got anything. I don't think I've had an actual snow event since 2/14.

When you move our winters will become like the 1800s and you will be jealous.

I'm sure of that.  That is the very reason I stayed here when I was in a position where I could have moved.  To say that has spawned a huge series of regrets would be an understatement. 

I clearly remember how bummed I was when I lived in the area between Cle Elum and Blewett Pass in the winter of 1981-82 and the Seattle area had a big snow / Arctic blast event in January.  I had over 100 inches of snow that winter where I was living, but missing that one event here did hurt.  That having been said the other side of the coin just isn't worth it.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I'm sure of that.  That is the very reason I stayed here when I was in a position where I could have moved.  To say that has spawned a huge series of regrets would be an understatement. 

I clearly remember how bummed I was when I lived in the area between Cle Elum and Blewett Pass in the winter of 1981-82 and the Seattle area had a big snow / Arctic blast event in January.  I had over 100 inches of snow that winter where I was living, but missing that one event here did hurt.  That having been said the other side of the coin just isn't worth it.

What was it like living where it snowed that much?

Obviously you wouldn't obsess over every chance of a flurry, but did you still get really excited about the 1-3" events or did it all just start to turn to white noise?

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

What was it like living where it snowed that much?

Obviously you wouldn't obsess over every chance of a flurry, but did you still get really excited about the 1-3" events or did it all just start to turn to white noise?

150 inches here in 2007-08.   And over 100 inches in a couple other years.   Still enjoy seeing snow.   Maybe because we also have years with almost nothing.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I was at work the last few hours, it's been snowing the whole time, but it just started to stick about an hour ago, right as the precip rate went down. I have accumulation on cars, grass, etc... And there's some slush on the roads. I'm in South Snohomish at 400 feet. Flurries right now, with a few rain drops mixed in I think.

(Previous name: MillCreekMike)

Everett, WA (elev. 180’)

2023-2024 Snowfall:

1/11: Tr.

1/18: Tr.

Go M’s