El Nino is Dead. Long Live La Nina.

snow_wizard

I remember Mark Nelsen posting a map that broke the states into regions. If I recall 2014 was the hottest on record for the Willamette Valley and Puget Sound regions.

It was certainly the hottest July-September on record, regionally, which is more representative of that summer anyway, since the warmth was centered on JAS.

Yes, if you look at JAS then 2014 rises to 2nd hottest for WA and 4th hottest for OR.  Of course with that metric 2015 drops quite a bit thanks to September.

Regionally 2014 is the 4th hottest JAS and the 9th hottest JJA. But like you said, the heat was focused on the westside and the Willamette Valley and Puget Sound each had their hottest JAS in 2014 and hottest JJA in 2015. So back to back years with recordbreaking trimonthly summer warmth on the westside. Certainly noteworthy.

Yes, if you look at JAS then 2014 rises to 2nd hottest for WA and 4th hottest for OR. Of course with that metric 2015 drops quite a bit thanks to September.

Regionally 2014 is the 4th hottest JAS and the 9th hottest JJA. But like you said, the heat was focused on the westside and the Willamette Valley and Puget Sound each had their hottest JAS in 2014 and hottest JJA in 2015. So back to back years with recordbreaking trimonthly summer warmth on the westside. Certainly noteworthy.

Nah, it was all UHI. ;)

We all just need to ignore the rest of the region as much as possible, and focus on OLM.

Nah, it was all UHI. ;)

We all just need to ignore the rest of the region as much as possible, and focus on OLM.

Nah, like I said most the UHI-unaffected stations did not see back to back record warm summers.

Even if you change the period defined as summer from one year to the next.

A forum for the end of the world.

Since September is as much of a summer month as June around here, maybe it makes sense to look at the warmest June-September periods on record. For the Puget Sound, 2015 was #1 at 64.2 degrees, 1958 was #2 at 64.0, and 1967 was tied with 2014 for #3 at 63.7.

http://i.imgur.com/Mtm7zi5.png

For the Willamette Valley, 2015 was #1 at 66.0, and 1967 was tied with 2014 for #2 at 65.6.

http://i.imgur.com/Tqb4sBF.png

• Like 2

Since September is as much of a summer month as June around here, maybe it makes sense to look at the warmest June-September periods on record. For the Puget Sound, 2015 was #1 at 64.2 degrees, 1958 was #2 at 64.0, and 1967 was tied with 2014 for #3 at 63.7.

http://i.imgur.com/Mtm7zi5.png

For the Willamette Valley, 2015 was #1 at 66.0, and 1967 was tied with 2014 for #2 at 65.6.

http://i.imgur.com/Tqb4sBF.png

Great find. These are the regional ranking charts I was talking about.

Paints a much more accurate picture, since you get both rural and urban stations in the mix.

This is a great site!  I have used it for quite a while for research.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Fair enough. Seasons are not generally defined as 4 month periods, but I'll go with it. :)

However, my statement still stands. The long term, reliable stations in the region with little UHI increase do not show 2014 and 2015 as the top two warmest summers. Whether you use JJA or JJAS.

JJAS

OLM: 2014 ranks #4 warmest

Battle Ground: 2014 ranks #4

Downtown Portland: 2014 ranks #5

Forest Grove: 2014 ranks #4

EUG: 2014 ranks #3

Love that North Pacific SSTA depiction for September.    That is a strongly positive PDO shown there.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Why do you love that? PDO last September was strongly positive...

Just because it would be nice to avoid going into a negative PDO situation again.   

Not specifically referring to last September... just referencing the map for September above.

And not that it matters to this discussion... but last September was pleasant.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just because it would be nice to avoid going into a negative PDO situation again.

Not specifically referring to last September... just referencing the map for September above.

Why wouldn't you want a negative PDO? This last winter was positive PDO and it was one of the wettest on record. Sometimes I think you get pretty mixed up between what you actually want and what you feel you should root for simply because you believe a select few people won't like it. :lol:

At least we can agree that last September was pretty darn nice. Although I would enjoy seeing a slightly cooler one at some point.

I think the upcoming pattern is favorable to re-assert the warmer than normal waters off the PNW coast.   Its already coming back.    Hopefully we can maintain this SSTA pattern in the North Pacific all summer.   

http://www.ospo.noaa.gov/data/sst/anomaly/2016/anomnight.3.31.2016.gif

Why wouldn't you want a negative PDO? This last winter was positive PDO and it was one of the wettest on record. Sometimes I think you get pretty mixed up between what you actually want and what you feel you should root for simply because you believe a select few people won't like it. :lol:

At least we can agree that last September was pretty darn nice. Although I would enjoy seeing a slightly cooler one at some point.

I don't want a negative PDO until maybe late fall.      Seems to help with a warm summer and I like warm summers.   Pretty simple.

The SSTA map right now looks much like it did in early spring of 1998.    That year... the +PDO hung on a little while longer and we had a great summer.   It went fairly negative in the late summer and fall and still screwed us the following winter.   Although it was a great year for the mountains.   You like 8 months of non-stop rain.   Probably will have a repeat next winter!   Its all good.   I just want a nice summer in between two VERY wet winters.    You want rain and cold all summer as well.   To each their own.   You should move to Juneau.  

You don't think the winters from 2007-13 were better than the last couple years?

• Like 1

I don't want a negative PDO until maybe late fall.      Seems to help with a warm summer and I like warm summers.   Pretty simple.

Eh, 2006, 2009, and 2013 summers were all essentially neutral or -PDO. Very +PDO tends to be correlated to warm summers, but the state of the PDO has a much stronger correlation to winter temps.

• Like 1

I don't want a negative PDO until maybe late fall. Seems to help with a warm summer and I like warm summers. Pretty simple.

The SSTA map right now looks much like it did in early spring of 1998. That year... the +PDO hung on a little while longer and we had a great summer. It went fairly negative in the late summer and fall and still screwed us the following winter. Although it was a great year for the mountains. You like 8 months of non-stop rain. Probably will have a repeat next winter! Its all good. I just want a nice summer in between two VERY wet winters. You want rain and cold all summer as well. To each their own. You should move to Juneau.

Good lord. That first paragraph would have been just fine on its own. Was the rant at the end really necessary to go back and add? Do you feel better now? :lol:

July 1993's PDO was +2.35

But Jim likes negative PDO. He's always talking about it plunging. That is very irritating to Tim for some reason. :lol: He simply cannot abide it. Positive PDO in the summer just HAS to be the way to go because of this, even if he himself wouldn't like the observed weather that came with it! Worth it just to be a contrarian to Jim.

July 1993's PDO was +2.35 and July 1983's was +3.51.

1993 was an extreme situation as highlighted by Phil last night... thanks to Mt. Pinatubo.     Nice try.

Looks like 1983 was an extreme situation as well.  

Not a hard and fast rule either... but its worked for the last 2 summers.    

But Jim likes negative PDO. He's always talking about it plunging. That is very irritating to Tim for some reason. :lol: He simply cannot abide it. Positive PDO in the summer just HAS to be the way to go because of this, even if he himself wouldn't like the observed weather that came with it! Worth it just to be a contrarian to Jim.

Nice rant.   Feel better?

I like warm summers.    Don't control it.   Just like what I see right now in terms of the SSTA map.  

1993 was an extreme situation as highlighted by Phil last night... thanks to Mt. Pinatubo.     Nice try.

1983 was the highest July PDO on record and it was the wettest July on record.

The frigid July of 1986 was +1.38

The extreme Midwest heat summer of 1936 had extremely high PDO, and generally weak troughing all summer long in the NW

1997 had a cool July in spite of the developing Nino and a PDO over +2

It's not hard to find "exceptions".

• Like 1

1983 was the highest July PDO on record and it was the wettest July on record.

The frigid July of 1986 was +1.38

The extreme Midwest heat summer of 1936 had extremely high PDO, and generally weak troughing all summer long in the NW

1997 had a cool July in spite of the developing Nino and a PDO over +2

It's not hard to find "exceptions".

Yeah... don't cheer for a extremely positive PDO.      Pretty simple again.    I already knew that.   But would be nice to stay on the positive side this summer

1993 was an extreme situation as highlighted by Phil last night... thanks to Mt. Pinatubo. Nice try.

Looks like 1983 was an extreme situation as well.

Actually, 1983 was also a volcanic year (El Chichón). There's a standard set of processes that occurs during volcanic years that complicates their use as analogs.

Fortunately, in the case of 1983, it's a viable analog for other reasons.

Like I said, much stronger PDO correlation in winter.

Over the NH, temperatures are more strongly correlated to the PDO (and higher latitude SSTs in general) during the warm season. In the winter, these SST signatures are almost meaningless as a forcing.

Over the NH, temperatures are more strongly correlated to the PDO (and higher latitude SSTs in general) during the warm season. In the winter, these SST signatures are almost meaningless as a forcing.

That was my thinking as well.   

Ugh...you're confusing correlation with cause here. We've been over this.

For the PNW specifically, the correlation to the PDO and temps is quite strong in the cold season. I've provided the stats that show this many times in the past.

Ugh...you're confusing correlation with cause here. We've been over this.

For the PNW specifically, the correlation to the PDO and temps is quite strong in the cold season. I've provided the stats that show this many times in the past.

The correlations between SSTAs and corresponding temperature anomalies are stronger over the NH during the summer, which makes sense, physically speaking. Why does it matter whether the relationship is causative or correlative?

There should be a stronger correlation between the PDO and PNW temperatures during the summer, and I'm fairly certain that's the case looking at the data on the ESRL site.

That said, if the winter correlation in the PNW is stronger than the summer correlation, this suggests a common causation between variations in the PDO and PNW climate (low frequency external and tropical forcings being likely drivers). In this case, using the PDO to forecast on a seasonal (or at least a sub-seasona) scale resolution doesn't make much sense, given it'll lag the interdecadal swings in forcing/circulation.

In other words, if we have a La Niña/+PDO in September, it is in no way predictive of the nature of the forthcoming winter.

This is due to the fact that it takes time to reorganize the thermal structure of the upper ocean, which will respond to/lag the circulatory changes occurring at the surface.

Talk about a change of heart for the CFS.  Wow!

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Talk about a change of heart for the CFS. Wow!

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/CFSv2/imagesInd3/nino34Mon.gif

You spent the last 6 months saying how embarrassing and horrific and shockingly bad that model is... so now it's good? :)

You spent the last 6 months saying how embarrassing and horrific and shockingly bad that model is... so now it's good? :)

It was the last major model not showing us dipping into a strong Niña, and now it's on board. It finally caught up to the others. Let the good times roll! :)

It was the last major model not showing us dipping into a strong Niña, and now it's on board. It finally caught up to the others. Let the good times roll! :)

Yippee! 1998-99 winter? The CFS is crap so it's always crap.

Too early for any of the models to be accurate yet. Have to get through spring. You know that. I am sure it won't be a Nino... the rest is just noise right now.