October 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

TT-SEA

The newest edition of the 00z EURO shows a 966 mb low making landfall at the Northern Tip of the Washington coastline. I tried to hold out hope but the trend is not our friend if you want a major windstorm for PDX. I can't lie any longer and deny what's going to happen. Today PDX peak gust was 33 mph. PDX will be lucky to get a 40+ wind gust on Saturday IMO. The low if too offshore for PDX. You guys up North have a better chance. I got all worked up for nothing. Too much hype for basically nothing. Good night!

PDX has reached 53 mph peak gust so far.

• Like 1

The Pacific Northwest: Where storms go to die.

Pretty underwhelming at the coast so far.  These are a pretty tough call out there sometimes when you don't have the benefit of a barrier jet.  

No gusts above 85 mph so far, even at the exposed locations w/elevation. The wind burst two nights ago was more impressive out there. 

Best picture I've seen so far. Luckily no injuries.

Forest Grove Fire ‏@ForestGroveFire

Oak tree into house on Cedar St between 15th/16th AVEs. No injuries. MJ

http://i.imgur.com/MYbwXOq.jpg

https://twitter.com/ForestGroveFire/status/787415840475918336

Yikes, look at the rotted heartwood in that thing. I'm surprised darwinism didn't do its dirty work sooner.

• Like 1

Destruction Island reprting sustained winds of 64 gusting to 78.  Pretty impressive!

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The rain has stopped for the moment, the dogs (well more like me) are happy about that!

5 dogs?  That must be a handful!

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Had been dead calm here now breezy with about 5mph sustained.. Panic has ensued in our neighborhood with pandemonium with looting. I'm scared!! ..... This might be my last post... wish me well!! Peace out.

Good luck to you my friend...soon all communications will be lost...you were one of the good guys.
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

No wind here at all, but heavy rain is not lacking, just under an inch in the last hour.

Amazing.  Hoquiam had a gust to 51.  You must be blocked there.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The storm looks to be ahead of schedule for how far north it is right now.  The forward motion could add to wind potential.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Amazing. Hoquiam had a gust to 51. You must be blocked there.

Its weird, normally we will see 40 mph gusts when Hoquiam is 50 or higher, and with Olympia gusting near 40, but we are just getting a light breeze at times with the heavy rain.

Yesterday was definitely more impressive, by far

Low pressure looks to be heading right up into central to north Vancouver island. I doubt I will see anything over 30mph at the very highest... LAME AND COMICAL... oh the looters have all been dealt with... peace has returned to our village.

I am just worried that the people making runs on grocery stores and gas stations around here will have time to finish up before the storm is completely gone.

People think they are beating the storm when it fact its not coming at all for this area. As it races into Canada now

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I am just worried that the people making runs on grocery stores and gas stations around here will have time to finish up before the storm is completely gone.

People are thinking they are beating the storm when it fact its not coming at all for this area.

Funny you say that because I was at the store today buying stuff for tomorrow's Hawks game and overheard people in front of me talking how bad the storm was going to be. I kindly and gently let them know that this will most likely be a non-event to an average fall storm. The media is overplaying this and said do not be surprised if it never comes.

Funny you say that because I was at the store today buying stuff for tomorrow's Hawks game and overheard people in front of me talking how bad the storm was going to be. I kindly and gently let them know that this will most likely be a non-event to an average fall storm. The media is overplaying this and said do not be surprised if it never comes.

Sun is shining here. Looks better than yesterday.