June 2017 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Sun angle makes a huge difference in the UV index, dude. Your UV index rarely gets above 6 or 7. Ours sits at 10+ through most of June and July. When I head down to FL I can feel the difference. I can burn very easily in Miami. I rarely burn when I'm up in New England.

Plus I work outside often. Right now, when I step into the sun I can feel it cooking my skin. Wouldn't be the case up north.

UV forecast today is 8 here.

12Z ECMWF shows next Wednesday and Thursday as being fairly solid marine layer days before the warmth begins to build again.

Monday and Tuesday are much cooler than the weekend but it shows mostly sunny conditions those days.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

UV forecast today is 8 here.

A sunny day under a big ridge right at the summer solstice and you max out at around 8. So yeah, I think a general maximum seasonal UV index centered around 6-7 makes sense.

How Phil envisions our summers here...

sitka.png

Add about 10-15 degrees, and that's pretty much your summer.

Heavenly. It's not like your highs are in the 80s. :lol:

55-60 with dps in the 40s or lower is great for hiking.

It really is. I enjoy biking the rougher terrain and hills along the Potomac, and mid/upper 50s temperatures are ideal for that.

Right now, outdoor activities simply aren't an option . And I don't own a boat so..lol.

Its in the 80s frequently in the summer here... WAY more often than highs in the 50s.   

And its not raining every day either like in Sitka.    :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Its in the 80s frequently in the summer here.

And its not raining every day either like in Sitka. :)

Your average high maxes out at 73. That's room temperature perfection, cooler and less humid than 95% of the US. If anything you're probably cooler given your elevation.

http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/seattle/washington/united-states/uswa0395

I don't hate sun as much as you like to think I do.

I only think you hate sun because you seem to cherish clouds no matter how long they last... at least on this forum.   So the perception is on you.   :)

Your average high maxes out at 73. That's room temperature perfection, cooler than 95% of the US.

http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/seattle/washington/united-states/uswa0395

That is not accurate.   SEA maxes out at 78.    And inland areas of King County are a little warmer.

We have highs in the 80s frequently.      

Your lack of knowledge about our climate always surprises me.  

I only think you hate sun because you seem to cherish clouds no matter how long they last... at least on this forum. So the perception is one you. :)

I don't think I would be the only one to say your perception is a little warped sometimes ;)

I don't think I would be the only one to say your perception is a little warped sometimes ;)

OK Jesse.   You must troll me with your love of clouds then?   ;)

That is not accurate. SEA maxes out at 78. And inland areas of King County are a little warmer.

We have highs in the 80s frequently.

Your lack of knowledge about our climate always surprises me.

I was half trolling there, but since you're at 1100ft it's probably close-ish to accurate at your location, no? If I wanted to be 100% precise I would have gone to NCDC or your NWS page, but that's secondary the point. ;)

I was half trolling there, but since you're at 1100ft it's probably close to accurate at your location, no? If I wanted to be 100% precise I would have gone to NCDC or your NWS page, but that's beside the point.

I am not sure... its usually as warm as SEA out here in the summer.   Sometimes much warmer when there is a shallow marine layer.     There have been several days this month when SEA was in the marine layer and running quite a bit cooler than out here.  

I am not sure... its usually as warm as SEA out here in the summer. Sometimes much warmer when there is a shallow marine layer. There have been several days this month when SEA was in the marine layer and running quite a bit cooler than out here.

But when SEA is in the low 80s (clear of the inversion) you're probably in the 70s, given your 1100ft elevation, right?

How often does SEA get into the mid/upper 80s? I think it's safe to say that your highs are usually in the 70s. Or you could install a weather station on your property and stream the data to wunderground. ;)

But when SEA is in the low 80s (clear of the inversion) you're probably in the 70s, given your 1100ft elevation, right?

How often does SEA get into the mid/upper 80s? I think it's safe to say that your highs are usually in the 70s.

Mid to upper 70s are probably most common here... but many days are in the 80s and 90s are not uncommon either.   It was 105 here in July 2009.  

We can also have highs in the 60s occasionally.   But highs in the 50s are very rare during summer (6/20-9/20).

OK Jesse. You must troll me with your love of clouds then? ;)

Not completely loathing an overwhelming aspect of our climate isn't the same as trolling you. It also doesn't mean that I autmatically hate it when they go away.

In other words, a cool and comfortable summer by almost everyone's standards.

Yes.  Summer is awesome here.

How many times do I have say we have some of the best summer weather in the country?

It is nothing like Sitka in the summer.   We actually have a well-defined warm, dry summer season.    Burnt lawns and A/C are part of summer here.    

Normally its about 10 degrees cooler than your backyard and less humid.   :)

His relatives from Minnesota would become inconsolably enraged if mid-upper 70s were in the forecast during reuinion week.

Troll!  

They would think that was OK but all of them cheer for heat.  

Yes. Summer is awesome here.

How many times do I have say we have some of the best summer weather in the country?

It is nothing like Sitka in the summer. We actually have a well-defined warm, dry summer season. Burnt lawns and A/C are part of summer here.

Normally its about 10 degrees cooler than your backyard and less humid. :)

None of my relatives in Everett WA have A/C (which is where I'll be in late July). Do you really need AC at 1100ft?

None of my relatives in Everett WA have A/C. Do you really need AC at 1100ft?

Yes.

Without A/C... our main floor is usually between 80-84 degrees and the upstairs is warmer than that.    Our daylight basement would be the only refuge on many nights in the summer without A/C.

None of my relatives in Everett WA have A/C (which is where I'll be in late July). Do you really need AC at 1100ft?

Everett is way cooler than SEA and way cooler than out here in central King County in the summer.

You really do not understand the microclimates here.   

Right now its 77 at SEA, 78 here, and 70 at Everett.   

Oh, and if we were 10 degrees cooler than you, it would mean average highs in the low/mid 80s all summer, which would be beautiful and very cool by our standards.

What I'm saying is I (still) don't think you appreciate your climate enough. Find anywhere in the US with such amazing scenery and amazing summer weather. I don't think such a place exists.

Everett is way cooler than SEA and way cooler than out here in central King County in the summer.

You really do not understand the microclimates here.

Right now its 77 at SEA, 78 here, and 70 at Everett.

Then why does this station in Everett WA run just two degrees cooler than KSEA? It's also 500ft lower in elevation than you and it's currently 74*F there.

http://www.intellicast.com/local/history.aspx?location=USWA0140

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/History.aspx?location=USWA0395

Oh, and if we were 10 degrees cooler than you, it would mean average highs in the low/mid 80s all summer, which would be beautiful and very cool by our standards.

What I'm saying is I (still) don't think you appreciate your climate enough. Find anywhere in the US with such amazing scenery and amazing summer weather. I don't think such a place exists.

I appreciate our summer weather to the full extent.   I have said so many times.   

And I appreciate the scenery in every season.   I have said that its hard to find such incredible beauty so close to a major city anywhere in the country.   I have thought of other places to live but none would be this beautiful.    And this area specifically from Issaquah to Snoqualmie Pass has stunning scenery that never gets old.

Then why does this station in Everett WA run just two degrees cooler than KSEA? It's also 500ft lower in elevation than you.

http://www.intellicast.com/local/history.aspx?location=USWA0140

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/History.aspx?location=USWA0395

Dude... I have no idea where these stations are or if they are accurate.    If you lived here you would understand the details.   Its not about elevation at all in this case.   

I know Everett is WAY cooler all the time in the summer than my area... and cooler than the Seattle area in general.      

Most of the region sees average highs peak in the 80s in the mid July to mid August period. Our summers are very Mediterranean. 

I think you have the PNW interior lowlands confused with the coastline.

Most of the region sees average highs peak in the 80s in the mid July to mid August period. Our summers are very Mediterranean.

I think you have the PNW interior lowlands confused with the coastline.

In the Puget Sound area, though? That's the only area I follow somewhat closely, since I have family there and will be visiting next month.

Today is an absolutely perfect day to illustrate the microclimates.   This is exactly how it normally plays out on summer days:

SEA - 79 degrees

Everett - 71 degrees

And its 79 here as well.   

Very typical.   

In the Puget Sound area, though? That's the only area I follow somewhat closely, since I have family there and will be visiting next month.

Puget Sound region is very different than the coast.

Although from Everett northward at sea level its way cooler than the Seattle area.   And areas east of Everett and higher in elevation are warmer than Everett.   

Puget Sound region is very different than the coast.

Although from Everett northward at sea level its way cooler than the Seattle area. And areas east of Everett and higher in elevation are warmer than Everett.

Where are you relative to Echo Lake/TSR18? I'm trying to peg the difference between your point & click forecast/averages and those of Seattle.

Where are you relative to Echo Lake/TSR18? I'm trying to peg the difference between your point & click forecast/averages and those of Seattle.

You are spinning your wheels.  Those point forecasts are hopelessly bad in areas with all of our varied topography.   You really have to live here to understand it.

I never look at the point forecasts.   I am sure they work WAY better in the eastern part of the country.  

Are you trying to convince me that the climate in Everett is the same as here?   You can spend the rest of your life doing that from your computer in DC and never convince me of anything.    Come visit and you will understand.    

I know where its warm and where its cool in the Puget Sound region.   :)

Everett is a very cool spot.   The Seattle area eastward to the foothills is much warmer in the summer.    Tacoma and Olympia are warmer than Everett as well.  

You are spinning your wheels. Those point forecasts are hopelessly bad in areas with all of our varied topography. You really have to live here to understand it.

I never look at the point forecasts. I am sure they work WAY better in the eastern part of the country.

Are you trying to convince me that the climate in Everett is the same as here? You can spend the rest of your life doing that from your computer in DC and never convince me of anything. Come visit and you will understand.

I know where its warm and where its cool in the Puget Sound region. :)

Everett is a very cool spot. The Seattle area eastward to the foothills is much warmer in the summer. Tacoma and Olympia are warmer than Everett as well.

The point and click forecasts employ a high resolution model for topography. That's what they're designed for..they even capture the windy microclimate on Mt. Washington, NH.

They also seem to capture both Seattle's and Everett's temperatures fairly well, so what makes your location so special?

The South Sound sees fairly warm summers.

Then as soon as you get a little east of the water, you're looking at a few degrees of warming. Tim's area has a much more continental profile than somewhere right near the water. In a warm offshore flow pattern he can easily be 4-8 degrees hotter in the afternoon than somewhere like SEA.

• Like 1

The point and click forecasts employ a high resolution model for topography. That's what they're designed for..they even capture the windy microclimate on Mt. Washington, NH.

They also seem to capture both Seattle's and Everett's temperatures fairly well, so what makes your location so special?

You just have no idea.    Those point forecasts are terrible out here.   100 feet away can be 2,000 feet higher.   And that is only part of the issue.

The 12z ECMWF is crazy looking by d4. I cannot recall seeing a pattern like this in late June before.

Maximum geopotential height anomaly is only 138dm, while the lowest anomaly is a whopping -434dm (over the Arctic).

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/09D07B96-7EF4-4FE2-8150-CCABAB5F44DA_zpsgfksubpm.png