January Weather In the PNW

stuffradio

Weird year.

Obviously when the sharpest mind on the forum busts this badly for the coldest month of the cold season you know something is SERIOUSLY f*cked up.

Which one?  :lol: There were only about 5 of us predicting a cold January.

Of course, only one went all in with a 3 week Arctic outbreak...

A forum for the end of the world.

Going to make a call, simply based on the strength of this MJO wave (which is looking like a top-10 event in W1 amplitude).

1) EP fluxes will respond and initiate a late season PV breakdown.

2) It will trigger a second downwelling OKW response, which will pull the Pacific/ONI out of La Niña conditions by April or May. The -QBO will prevent a transition into El Niño, so the end result is a stalemate.

This coming from the guy who has preached "PAY ATTENTION to the GEM when it's the first to show something!"

Yes... that is why I just left it open (who knows?)   It is possible.

Usually those GEM wins come with surprises in the mid range.   But never say never... it can happen.

You know its best to approach the GEM with caution.... particularly in the 8-10 day period.    

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

You're a big boy, you can determine what you want and don't want.

Thank you,.. I feel so much better now! I thought I was to agree with others who disagreed with me so I did not upset the balance of harmony within our tight nit community.

Yes... that is why I just left it open (who knows?)   It is possible.

Usually those GEM wins come with surprises in the mid range.   But never say never... it can happen.

You know its best to approach the GEM with caution.... particularly in the 8-10 day period.    

Well, in this case the GEM starts showing some big differences around day 6 that play out from there.

I believe the GEM is pretty close to the GFS for overall (in)accuracy scores?

Sounds like you're getting a little upset? I'm just looking out for you because I'm worried.

Not upset at all.  I love how you cherry picked one sentence of my post.   :lol:

No acknowledgement that I do indeed post cold maps and snowfall maps that show lowland snow.    That messes up your narrative of course.

In order for your BS narrative to work... you have to be very selective.    Again... you are the only member on this board launching personal attacks on a daily basis.   That is pretty much all you do on here.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I'd have to look closer again, but I don't think there have been hardly any winters with this much -EPO and so little meaningful cold in the PNW.

Obviously, the lack of -PNA has been the big killer, but it's still very unusual to have the amount of Alaskan blocking we've seen without that.

2000-01!

1960-61!

1980-81!

The 0-1 dream team!

Not upset at all. I love how you cherry picked one sentence of my post. :lol:

No acknowledgement that I do indeed post cold maps and snowfall maps that show lowland snow. That messes up your narrative of course.

In order for your BS narrative to work... you have to be very selective. Again... you are the only member on this board launching personal attacks on a daily basis. That is pretty much all you do on here.

Used to be a decent mind around here. Sad.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Well, in this case the GEM starts showing some big differences around day 6 that play out from there.

I believe the GEM is pretty close to the GFS for overall (in)accuracy scores?

True... once it goes off on that track then its going to continue in a totally different direction for the rest of the run.  

In order for your BS narrative to work... you have to be very selective. Again... you are the only member on this board launching personal attacks on a daily basis. That is pretty much all you do on here.

We've actually had a pretty good relationship lately. I worry about you though, I don't want you to go through any more break downs.

We've actually had a pretty good relationship lately. I worry about you though, I don't want you to go through any more break downs.

So weak.   You are not even trying.  

The GFS ensemble continues its slow improvement.  A good number of members go below -10 on this run.  If the cold solution wins it will probably be more than a glancing blow because most of the cold solutions are really cold and the mean is watered down by some really warm members.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

This is +3 sigma MJO now. And it’s activating the philosophical lobe of my brain tonight.

We’ve been in a +PNA background state all winter. This MJO will now trigger a second OKW that will slosh the Pacific out of La Niña this Spring. It’s like Mother Nature had a game plan this entire time, pre-programmed into the circulation. The deeper you look at it, the more fascinating it becomes.

The extratropics really do lead the tropics sometimes.

Sure, but if you haven't noticed, quality posts generally don't get any appreciation here

I agree. The fact there aren’t any meteorologists posting here is a testament to this.

They’d get trolled off the forum the minute they make a warm forecast.

• Like 2

This is +3 sigma MJO now. And it’s activating the philosophical lobe of my brain tonight.

We’ve been in a +PNA background state all winter. This MJO will now trigger a second OKW that will slosh the Pacific out of La Niña this Spring. It’s like Mother Nature had a game plan this entire time, pre-programmed into the circulation. The deeper you look at it, the more fascinating it becomes.

Yup.

##7isonitsway

#thanksfred

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

I agree. The fact there aren’t any meteorologists posting here is a testament to this.

They’d get trolled off the forum the minute they make a warm forecast.

:lol:

Someone here tried to troll Mark Nelsen off his own blog for being a warm-biased fool.   

For the record... your posts are the highlight of the forum for me.  Even if you are not always right.. you are always interesting and I try to learn from you.   And you don't have a horse in the PNW weather race so are not bogged down with our model riding drama.

Exactly. The PDO drives everything.

• Like 1