January Weather In the PNW

stuffradio

The EPS control shows one cold shot at day 10 and then a strong reinforcing shot at day 12.

Regional event!!

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Spin!

Consistent with a very amplified pattern... very strong anomaly centers.     Not sure what else to say.   

I was selling what the EPS was showing.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

You predicted a three week mega blast, trumpeting it in every way possible for weeks. People actually handled that almost inevitable bust with surprising composure and perspective. Don't always assume the worst of us meteorological morons.

This was a good post. Shouldn’t be overlooked.

• Like 1

Day 15 of the EPS actually shows the ridge axis pushing back slightly towards western Alaska

Unbelievably strong signal for an ensemble mean at day 15.      I have never seen anything like this in the 10-15 day range of ensemble mean.    And this is at day 15.     The mean is always smoothed out to the point of being meaningless by day 15.  

eps_z500a_noram_61.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Day 15 of the EPS actually shows the ridge axis pushing back slightly towards western Alaska

Sometimes we see what we want to believe.

Brett Anderson is a genius.

Did he say he expected a shift toward a cold west?

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

This was a good post. Shouldn’t be overlooked.

Keep this up and you’re gonna have two Tims on your hands real quick. We should also put in place a rule that only those who make long range forecasts should be allowed to critique them. I’m tired of explaining myself to dumbasses.

Dewey couldn’t forecast his way out of a paper bag, so forgive me for rolling my eyes at whatever he thinks about my forecast. I’m not addressing it again.

Meanwhile I've actually managed to come up with 7 consecutive lows in the 30s with this mess we have been in!

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I was selling what the EPS was showing.  

True, but it wasn't selling this in this time frame.

In all fairness, you did mention that the ridge might retrograde, but that would have been after it sat over us for many days as per the EPS of a couple of days ago. Things have changed (for now at least.... *grabs closest rabbit*).

It's all good, though. I'm obviously happy with the latest trends....

Strong negative EPO and moderate negative PNA on the ECMWF 00z translating to below average heights over the NW CONUS and anomalously colder weather in the long-range. Should be fun to track.

But our PNA sexpert just said it's a +PNA pattern?

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

He gave us the dark blue crayon treatment a couple weeks back for early February.

Crayon treatments are fun!

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Keep this up and you’re gonna have two Tims on your hands real quick. We should also put in place a rule that only those who make long range forecasts should be allowed to critique them. I’m tired of explaining myself to dumbasses.

Dewey couldn’t forecast his way out of a paper bag, so forgive me for rolling my eyes at whatever he thinks about my forecast. I’m not addressing it again.

Man, you are punchy tonight. His point was we all handled the big January bust pretty well all things considered. You certainly had no need to go into the witness protection program. :lol: Have a little faith in us west coast plebs.

The CFS has finally started to pick up on this too.  About half of the runs showing cold at least making into the northern half of WA.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

True, but it wasn't selling this in this time frame.

In all fairness, you did mention that the ridge might retrograde, but that would have been after it sat over us for many days as per the EPS of a couple of days ago. Things have changed (for now at least.... *grabs closest rabbit*).

It's all good, though. I'm obviously happy with the latest trends....

Westward shift... still showing the same crazy amplified pattern though.    We just happen to benefit greatly from that westward shift.  

Westward shift... still showing the same crazy amplified pattern though. We just happen to benefit greatly from that westward shift.

We haven’t benefitted from anything yet.

And you were trumpeting strong ridging in the 10-15 day period for days leading up to this.

Man, you are punchy tonight. His point was we all handled the big January bust pretty well all things considered. You certainly had no need to go into the witness protection program. :lol: Have a little faith in us west coast plebs.

So, I’m laying in bed watching model runs for the west coast, getting trolled for busted forecasts, while my girlfriend is puking in the bathroom (as I write this post) and I’m sick with the flu, have two exams on Friday, a funeral to attend on Monday, and two tree jobs scheduled for later next week. I swear I’m not making any of this up.

I’m not a happy dude right now.

• Like 2

Followed by a Pacific breakthrough and 1880 repeat at the spring equinox. ☃️

In all seriousness if this thing pans out some kind of an early March event could be on the table also.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

So, I’m laying in bed watching model runs for the west coast, getting trolled for busted forecasts, while my girlfriend is puking in the bathroom (as I write this post) and I’m sick with the flu, have two exams on Friday, a funeral to attend on Monday, and two tree jobs scheduled for later next week. Not making any of this up..

You're not holding her hair for her?

#clearfluidsandbedrest

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

The height anomalies and temperature anomalies do not reflect a positive PNA pattern.

The PNA isn’t calculated using temperature anomalies.

The 00z EPS, verbatim, would verify as a +PNA. It’s actually a solid match to the EOF for the PNA loading pattern used by the CPC.

So, I’m laying in bed watching model runs for the west coast, getting trolled for busted forecasts, while my girlfriend is puking in the bathroom (as I write this post) and I’m sick with the flu, have two exams on Friday, a funeral to attend on Monday, and two tree jobs scheduled for later next week. I swear I’m not making any of this up.

You should get to sleep or at least get off your phone then. What is it 3:30 over there? Hope the rest of your week goes better.

• Like 1