March Weather in the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

Seems like we have just worked our way into a 2011 analog in the last couple months. 

2011 was the coldest spring in history in Seattle.     And it rained all the way through June.   So... only 4 months to go until some consistent nice weather.     

Hah. But yeah, 2011 has worked out pretty well starting with that mild surge in mid-January. 

2014 also had the wettest March in SEA history, with more than an inch more than the closest competitor. So yeah...wettest March, wettest October, second wettest December, and second wettest February, all in a 4 year period. That will get you some wet years!

A record wet May, June, July, August, or September would not make as much difference for yearly precip, but it would probably rate even higher on the TMI (Tim Misery Index), since the normals expect and want those months to be nicer.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

2014 also had the wettest March in SEA history, with more than an inch more than the closest competitor. So yeah...wettest March, wettest October, second wettest December, and second wettest February, all in a 4 year period. That will get you some wet years!

A record wet May, June, July, August, or September would not make as much difference for yearly precip, but it would probably rate even higher on the TMI (Tim Misery Index), since the normals expect and want those months to be nicer.

Be careful not to belabor the obvious. Long-period records (monthly, seasonal, annual) are built on a handful of shorter-duration extreme episodes. The law of large numbers states that most observations will fall closer to the mean. That's just how it works. 

• Like 1

Gotcha digging into the numbers! Its been really wet. ;)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The tree stood out amongst the rest in regards to its size and height. Appears to have been there for much longer

Looks burnt?

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Bryant, Mattias and I went hiking today in southwestern Whatcom County. We started at around 400 feet and reached around 2300 feet . The forest we trekked through on the way up was very dense but it was entirely snow covered above around 1500 feet. By the time we got above 2,000 feet there was well over a foot of snow on the ground. We didn’t bring a yard stick but there was probably just shy of 2 feet of snow in places.

Words cannot describe how delicious those hot dogs were after that hike . . .  or how cold my feet were coming down!

• Like 2

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

What causes the twisting? I'm definitely not knowledgeable at all in regards to trees

I actually don't know. I remember one of my professors telling me that once. Pretty much guaranteed old growth if you see twisting like that. Apparently it takes a long time to form.

• Like 1

Bryant, Mattias and I went hiking today in southwestern Whatcom County. We started at around 400 feet and reached around 2300 feet . The forest we trekked through on the way up was very dense but it was entirely snow covered above around 1500 feet. By the time we got above 2,000 feet there was well over a foot of snow on the ground. We didn’t bring a yard stick but there was probably just shy of 2 feet of snow in places.

Oyster Dome?

36 and drizzle here this morning.

39 in the valley... and at SEA.   It was 40 most of the night at SEA.

That clearing in the evening was just temporary behind the main band of precip.   The temp went up from 33 to 36 here overnight.

Morning update from Snoqualmie Summit.    :)

Snow Reporter's Comments

March 5, 2018: Good morning, skiers and snowboarders! I'm pretty pumped for the opening bell this morning at Summit Central (only base area open today 9AM-10PM), as we have received 10 inches of cold, blower powder and half of that falling overnight. The weather experts are calling for snow showers this morning, then picking back up again this evening. See on the slopes at nine and always remember to check with the WSDOT for travel conditions!

ss2.png

I lol’ed.

The tree stood out amongst the rest in regards to its size and height. Appears to have been there for much longer

When I visited last summer, it definitely struck me how different the trees’ growing habits are over there compared to here, even amongst the same species. Much more slender and upright overall.

I especially don’t know how those tall skinny evergreen trees survive high winds. They look like they want to keel over and break in the slightest breeze, lol.

When I visited last summer, it definitely struck me how different the trees’ growing habits are over there compared to here, even amongst the same species. Much more slender and upright overall.

I especially don’t know how those tall skinny evergreen trees survive high winds. They look like they want to keel over and break in the slightest breeze, lol.

We have tall hemlocks here that look completely flimsy... but that works to their advantage in the wind. The hemlocks behind our house will bend way over in the wind and then pop right back up when it calms down.

They are sort of like a ski slalom pole.

We have tall hemlocks here that look completely flimsy... but that works to their advantage in the wind. The hemlocks behind our house will bend way over in the wind and then pop right back up when it calms down.

That’s interesting. Must be how individual species adapt to that climate. Around here it’s always those stall spindly evergreens that drop first in high winds.

Speaking of Hemlocks, this is a pretty sad story out of Mt. Vernon. I remember that tree. One of most beautiful ones on the property. :(

LmI38bx.jpg

Wow, mid 20s at Eugene this morning!

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

12Z GFS brings back a warm Sunday... agrees with the ECMWF again.   Still not sure it will hold though.    Rain is moving in fast that evening.

gfs_T2ma_us_27.png

A lot of the firs out here are tall but very sturdy, and there is strength in their flexibility.

• Like 1

Today was the 15th straight sub-52 maximum at PDX. This is only the 2nd time since 1971 that we've seen such a cool streak of maximums this late into the winter season. The other was in 2011. Both 2011 and 2018 inched past 1993 on the calendar, which had an 18 day streak end on March 3rd.

Looks like today could beat 2011, since it rose to 54 on the 5th that year.

There are records of early explorers/pioneers encountering Douglas Firs over 300 feet tall, but only like 3 feet in diameter at the base. Seems weird but these trees pulled it off somehow. And then you read about other Douglas firs that are 6-8 feet in diameter. So it's not even consistent across the species. 

• Like 1

Looks like today could beat 2011, since it rose to 54 on the 5th that year.

Yep. And if it happens, it will be the latest 16-day streak of sub 52's in half a century.

1951, 1955, 1956, and 1960 (#coldphase) all had streaks longer than 16 days later into the spring. Not once since.

• Like 1

There are records of early explorers/pioneers encountering Douglas Firs over 300 feet tall, but only like 3 feet in diameter at the base. Seems weird but these trees pulled it off somehow. And then you read about other Douglas firs that are 6-8 feet in diameter. So it's not even consistent across the species.

That’s an epic display of aerodynamics right there. If only my 20ft anemometer pole could pull that off, all would be right with my world right now. :lol:

• Like 1

Be careful not to belabor the obvious. Long-period records (monthly, seasonal, annual) are built on a handful of shorter-duration extreme episodes. The law of large numbers states that most observations will fall closer to the mean. That's just how it works. 

Not sure what the point of this post was, other than to belabor the obvious?

I never stated otherwise, just identified the specific months that contributed greatly to the wetness of the last 4 years.

A forum for the end of the world.

Not sure what the point of this post was, other than to belabor the obvious? I never stated otherwise, just identified the specific months that contributed greatly to the wetness of the last 4 years.

I imagine that is almost always the case during extended wet periods.

A lot of the firs out here are tall but very sturdy, and there is strength in their flexibility.

So is it the hardwood species that have more problems with high winds out there? I might be a Mid-Atlantic tree wonk, but I don’t know much about the ecosystems west of the Apps, to be honest.

I do know that ~ 75% of our jobs dealing with toppled trees involve exposed/solitary evergreens lacking protection from other evergreens. They seem to grow much better in large packs.