June Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Geos

I totally understand the first sentence.   

The second part seems strange to me.   You would rather suffer through intense heat and humidity every summer rather than our guaranteed cool summers in comparison (even when they are really warm)?   

Yuma had a cooler summer last year than Silverton. Climo.

Yuma had a cooler summer last year than Silverton. Climo.

Silverton was infinitely more pleasant than Yuma last summer though.   And more scenic.  This is true every summer.

Comparison to some climate data in the record books does not change that fact.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Would you rather live in a hellish summer climate that has been running below normal but still hellish... or in a cool summer climate that has been running above normal but still very pleasant?

Probably not even a question for most people... all things being equal.    Of course the place where your children live might win out over any weather concerns.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

No real sign of a troughiness on the 12Z EPS through day 15. The peak of the heat is in the middle of next week, but it generally stays warm and the 500mb height and 850mb temp means are above normal through the end of the run.

Sounds like your drier location is paying off.

Been just as wet at my old place so not much difference so far.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Another heavy rain and sunshine type of day... similar to this past weekend.

I was wondering over the weekend why I was not seeing any rainbows.   Then it occurred to me that the sun angle is wrong for rainbows during the day in June... coming down rather than across.  

EPS looks pretty flat with everything days 7-10. Probably indicative of a lot of ensemble spread, like the GFS.

I can't run a 3-day mean... so here is day 8.5 which is in the middle of the period you referenced.

eps_z500a_noram_35.png

eps_t850a_noram_35.png

Here is the 500mb mean for days 10-15... still above normal heights.   Muted as usual.   

eps_z500a_5d_noram_61.png

I was wondering over the weekend why I was not seeing any rainbows. Then it occurred to me that the sun angle is wrong for rainbows during the day in June... coming down rather than across.

That’s an interesting observation.

Looks about like it did for the ongoing troughy period.

And what it looked like for the actual warm periods as well.    

There were many EPS runs that showed troughiness in the day 10-15 period leading up to and during this 3-week troughy period.  

Its not always warm in the the day 10-15 period... I am just less likely to post about it.   ;)

Should be interesting to see how it compares in the cold season.

Yeah that will be quite interesting to see how much of a difference there will be not only with rainfall but with temps and snowfall as well.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I was wondering over the weekend why I was not seeing any rainbows.   Then it occurred to me that the sun angle is wrong for rainbows during the day in June... coming down rather than across.  

For the vast majority of the year most places, you won't see rainbows from about 10 am - 2 pm.

A forum for the end of the world.

Looks about like it did for the ongoing troughy period.

I just went through some old posts here... at the start of this month Phil was posting about the EPS looking like your wildest dreams at 9 or 10 days out.    That was the trough that rolled through here last weekend with cold air and rain and low snow levels.      :)

For the vast majority of the year most places, you won't see rainbows from about 10 am - 3 pm.

Never thought about that.   Although with the right weather pattern we can see rainbows here in the middle of the day in December and January... with our pathetic 19-degree sun angle!  

So far this month an average of 47.2 for the lows. 

Had a pretty good downpour at work at 1pm about, went south about 10 blocks to get food and everything was dry there. Very localized showers today. 

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

So far this month an average of 47.2 for the lows. 

Had a pretty good downpour at work at 1pm about, went south about 10 blocks to get food and everything was dry there. Very localized showers today. 

Looks like an ugly January day in Kirkland right now...

405vc01987.jpg

Looks like an ugly January day in Kirkland right now...

405vc01987.jpg

Yeah it has been at times.

Pouring down buckets in Bothell now.

Got nailed good.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Yeah it has been at times.

Pouring down buckets in Bothell now.

Got nailed good.

http://climate.cod.edu/data/nexrad/ATX/N0Q/ATX.N0Q.20180613.2135.gif

This is the time when I cheer for rain the most... right before a solid warm to hot spell.   

GFS backed off the triple digit temps next week.

gfs_T2m_nwus_30.png

gfs_T2m_nwus_34.png

Boooo!! Well at least Matt’s B-Day ice cream cake won’t melt quite as quickly now during his Birthday Party!

18z looks downright pleasant/unpleasant in the long range.

Looks like long term pleasant to me... the way summer was meant to be.

I know a Will Ferrell gif that will be mighty disappointed.

I think Will Ferrell is really just happy to see anything but cloudy, chilly weather during the summer.    ;)