December 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Tyler Mode

Guest Dome Buster

I thought long range predictions were pointless?

Thats just a gut feeling because I want it to happen. I have nothing to back it up, just wishcasting. Definitely not a forecast. Try again Phil.

Warm nov/dec anomolies. Congruent analogs. Frigid Ak/yukon temps. Lack of any real blocking yet. This nino isnt acting like a typical nino. 41 years in the area and this nino is not acting like a typical. Throw the model data out and lets use our experience.

So ENSO/long range predictability is a fools errand...unless your name is Dome Buster.

Oh, the irony.

Guest Dome Buster

Consistency. I like it.

At that point the "trends", the "trends" were there Phil. The "trends". Throw in my yearning for it to happen and you get statements like that. Im not on here referencing mid to long range maps as if they were gospel. When I peruse the maps I rarely will watch past 120 hrs because I know it is an act of futility in most cases.

Frigid Ak/yukon temps. Lack of any real blocking yet. This nino isnt acting like a typical nino.

Still not in the sweet spot. But blocky.

More consistency!

Guest Dome Buster

So ENSO/long range predictability is a fools errand...unless your name is Dome Buster.

Oh, the irony.

Has it or has it not proven to be? You change your forecast as often as most people change their underwear. Because it is always changing.

I explained earlier. And Front Ranger just confirmed my thoughts based on analogs.

Impossible.

All garbage IMO. But its 8 days. May as well throw a dart.

But analogs confirm a January 2017 redux since this isn’t a typical niño.

Lets just hold off and see how the next month unfolds. Even in this boring and el nino influenced december we still have a chance of some low elevation snowflakes in the air the next few days, without any real cold air to draw from. Stay optimistic. The guys in here for the most part are a glass half empty group.

I thought it wasn’t a typical niño?

Not after 5-7 days. It really means nothing. And you know it. Predicting accurately is what I care about. All the Phil posts are cryptic and dont mean anything. Outside of that 5-7 timeframe is a waste of breath.

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE ANALOGS?!?!

I dont because you cannot with any reasonable accuracy. It is why the smart meteorologists dont make long range forecasts.

But the analogs confirm a January 2017 redux, right?

Guest Dome Buster

But the analogs confirm a January 2017 redux, right?

Never said that. Quit manipulating sentences to fit your narrative. I said I was feeling it. Much different than confirming something. Keep trying....

Billions of dollars are wasted every year on worthless endeavors. How much money have we spent trying to domesticate barbarians in other countries, most who hide in caves, in our history? Sometimes money is spent with good intentions but that doesnt mean it was spent wisely. War on drugs is another example. Sure I can come up with more.

I agree with you to some extent re: war on drugs.

Everything else in this post is just bigoted nonsense.

Is this a recurring thing with you two? Live and let live, I say. Predictions harm no one as long as you're wary that they are just that- predictions.

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Guest Dome Buster

I agree with you to some extent re: war on drugs.

Everything else in this post is just bigoted nonsense.

Bigoted? Nope. Facts are facts. I will leave it at that. Thought you were smarter than that.

Yikes these last 2 pages are a long-range forecasting debate bloat.

Thinking good things for folks up north so we can put the kibosh on a regional repeat of 91-92 (still on the table for some places tho).

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Guest Dome Buster

Ya I know. Considering you could just say rain every day from 8 days out and on and be more accurate than someone looking at the maps.

Guest Dome Buster

Is this a recurring thing with you two? Live and let live, I say. Predictions harm no one as long as you're wary that they are just that- predictions.

I am trying to but its hard with the guy. All that knowledge and time invested in forecasting and he is still highly inaccurate. I would be moody as well.

Thinking good things for folks up north so we can put the kibosh on a regional repeat of 91-92 (still on the table for some places tho).

At least this winter has already featured a big windstorm for the region (not the WHOLE region - that's super rare). Including BC especially, it was pretty major. Don't think 1991-92 had managed that.

Doesn't do anything for snow lovers, but at least from an interesting weather perspective it has that so far.

A forum for the end of the world.

At least this winter has already featured a big windstorm for the region (not the WHOLE region - that's super rare). Including BC especially, it was pretty major. Don't think 1991-92 had managed that.

Doesn't do anything for snow lovers, but at least from an interesting weather perspective it has that so far.

Not for wind lovers in Portland, unless you count the 40-50 gusts we had in an hour's time period on the 14th. I'll still take that though- better than any wind event we had last year.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"