Mountain West Discussion

Black Hole

Looks like Faribanks is ahead too...

Wow, is that what trees are supposed to look like?!? It's been a while... Surprised to see that we're still so far behind Fairbanks even. At quick check it looks like we're running colder than them this month on average so I guess it shouldn't be too surprising.

Feb/March was just brutal here and we're obviously still trying to come out of that. Daffodils and Tulips are finally in bloom though!

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

That is just depressing.,..

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

With additional rain overnight SLC has moved into #2 all-time for March-May rainfall, about 10.5". Record is from 2011 and should be safe.  

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Almost June... eagerly watching to see if these trees in Bozeman decide to leaf out or just call it quits for fall and try again next year.    :) 

At least the weather has warmed up there!

bzm.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

SLC picked up another 1/2" of rain, so 11" for March-May now. 

• Like 3

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Almost June... eagerly watching to see if these trees in Bozeman decide to leaf out or just call it quits for fall and try again next year.    :)

At least the weather has warmed up there!

Can't really tell from that camera but things are really leafing out and greening up now. Did our first real mow of the year today in fact!

Finally some beautiful, sunny weather here with temps in the low to mid 70's and daily afternoon thunderstorms through the end of the week. Only 4 days above 70 degrees so far this year so we're definitely due for a nice stretch.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Been getting daily afternoon thunderstorms here with temps topping out in the low to mid 70's. Still looking for the first 80 of year, might come close to that on Wednesday.

Big pattern change coming by the end of the week with increasing moisture and cool temps. The ECMWF shows around 1.5" of precip on Friday and Saturday. Models are also hinting at dropping snow levels with accumulating snow possible Friday night into Saturday.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Been getting daily afternoon thunderstorms here with temps topping out in the low to mid 70's. Still looking for the first 80 of year, might come close to that on Wednesday.

Big pattern change coming by the end of the week with increasing moisture and cool temps. The ECMWF shows around 1.5" of precip on Friday and Saturday. Models are also hinting at dropping snow levels with accumulating snow possible Friday night into Saturday.

Good Lord.   

You have fully me educated me on the reality of Montana weather.    It would be on the bottom of my list now.  I might pick Fairbanks over Bozeman if I had to make a choice!  Have you even had a warm, sunny day that stayed warm and dry all the way through the evening?     A day that starts nice and ends up being wet in the afternoon really puts a damper on things.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Good Lord.   

You have fully me educated me on the reality of Montana weather.    It would be on the bottom of my list now.  I might pick Fairbanks over Bozeman if I had to make a choice!  Have you even had a warm, sunny day that stayed warm and dry all the way through the evening?     A day that starts nice and ends up being wet in the afternoon really puts a damper on things.   

Can't recall one recently, no. You grew up in the Midwest though so you know how it goes. I think afternoon storms are quite refreshing. Mornings through early afternoon have been beautiful here and even late evening after the storms weaken/dissipate. 

Cold Season 2023/24:

June 3rd... and the trees on the Bozeman cam are just starting to leaf out now.    Looks like late March here.

Took this last night. We're pretty much fully greened up here now. Trees still leafing out but they are starting to bloom as well. Beautiful time of year not too different than your area, just in June rather than April.

http://i65.tinypic.com/291nznq.jpg

Cold Season 2023/24:

Can't recall one recently, no. You grew up in the Midwest though so you know how it goes. I think afternoon storms are quite refreshing. Mornings through early afternoon have been beautiful here and even late evening after the storms weaken/dissipate. 

There are many days in Minnesota in the warm season that are warm and dry from start to finish.   It certainly does not rain or threaten to rain every day.   During our family reunions on the lake over the last 15 years... there have been numerous times when it was sunny and warm almost the entire time.

I don't mind a few days with afternoon thunderstorms... but we have many days here when its warm and sunny all afternoon and stays warm through evening.  In fact... both days just this past weekend were like that.   Much more enjoyable for summer activities.    :)

Took this last night. We're pretty much fully greened up here now. Trees still leafing out but they are starting to bloom as well. Beautiful time of year not too different than your area, just in June rather than April.

If its not fully greened up by early June... its never going to happen!   

It just completely messes with my sense of seasons for summer to look like early April.   

There are many days in Minnesota in the warm season that are warm and dry from start to finish.   It certainly does not rain or threaten to rain every day.   During our family reunions on the lake over the last 15 years... there have been numerous times when it was sunny and warm almost the entire time.

I don't mind a few days with afternoon thunderstorms... but we have many days here when its warm and sunny all afternoon and stays warm through evening.  In fact... both days just this past weekend were like that.   Much more enjoyable for summer activities.    :)

This is just the start of the warm season here but May and June are the two wettest months of the year. We'll have plenty of wall to wall sunshine days as well come July and August with some storm days mixed in occasionally but not nearly as consistent as this time of year. 

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

This is just the start of the warm season here but May and June are the two wettest months of the year. We'll have plenty of wall to wall sunshine days as well come July and August with some storm days mixed in occasionally but not nearly as consistent as this time of year.

I will say that following Bozeman weather through you for the last 2 years has given me a greater appreciation of our weather and seasons here. :)

Warming up for a few days in SLC and drying out too. Looks like some additional rain for Saturday though. 

83 is still the warmest DEN has gotten so far this year (82 in my backyard). Every single other year I've lived here has seen at least a couple 90+ days by this point - even the very cool summer of 2009 had two or three by now.

And it looks unlikely we'll be making a run at 90 any time soon...a couple of days in the mid 80s towards the end of the week, but then it looks to cool down again. Pretty remarkable.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

I will say that following Bozeman weather through you for the last 2 years has given me a greater appreciation of our weather and seasons here. :)

Bozeman has been far from normal recently, though. Pretty crazy anomaly for a 12 month period!

Last12mTDeptWRCC-NW.png

They just had their coldest Feb/Mar on record.

• Like 2

A forum for the end of the world.

Bozeman has been far from normal recently, though. Pretty crazy anomaly for a 12 month period!

attachicon.gifLast12mTDeptWRCC-NW.png

They just had their coldest Feb/Mar on record.

Yeah nothing even remotely this cool since the 70's. Seems like no matter the pattern it ends up cooler than normal here lately. It will end at some point, probably this winter.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Well, I thought we were done with the snow but the Euro continues to insist that a major late season snowstorm is on the way Friday night into Saturday morning. It's showing 10-12" in my area and 8-10" of snowfall in town.

For historical perspective; the last time Bozeman saw accumulating snow in June was 2008 when they saw 0.9" The June snowfall record is 16.9". Next closest is 2.5" set in 1973. I don't think we'll get anywhere close to that 2001 total but the historical significance is definitely there.

http://i64.tinypic.com/208i33d.png

Cold Season 2023/24:

That is utter insanity.

Snow in June is wrong on every level.

Yeah...not really sure what to think about it. Part of me is excited for the historic significance, the other part of me does not want to see any snow in June and the tree damage that it would bring with it. :(

I'm still not convinced that it's actually going to happen so we'll see.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Well, I thought we were done with the snow but the Euro continues to insist that a major late season snowstorm is on the way Friday night into Saturday morning. It's showing 10-12" in my area and 8-10" of snowfall in town.

For historical perspective; the last time Bozeman saw accumulating snow in June was 2008 when they saw 0.9" The June snowfall record is 16.9". Next closest is 2.5" set in 1973. I don't think we'll get anywhere close to that 2001 total but the historical significance is definitely there.

http://i64.tinypic.com/208i33d.png

That would be awesome!!

SPC has us listed for a slight risk of severe storms here this afternoon. Wind gusts over 60mph and hail to the size of ping pong balls are the big risks. Downslope winds were whipping to about 35mph all night and continue this morning. Should be an interesting afternoon.

Still a chance for some accumulating snow tomorrow night but the amounts have dropped way off thankfully. Maybe looking at just an inch or two now.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Severe thunderstorm watch for my area. Lots of severe warned storms in the area but nothing for me yet. We will see.

Nothing too exciting here yesterday. Severe Thunderstorm Watch was issued but no storms tracked over Bozeman itself. Crazy downslope winds gusting to 40+ mph all day. The Chinook winds brought the hottest day of the year, 81F IMBY and 86F in town.

Looks like things are trending wetter and colder for today into tomorrow in the final stretch. Euro is back up to showing 8-10" of snowfall here while the GFS is on the low end showing 3-5". I'll go with 3-6" here and 1-3" in town. Either way, I can't believe I'm talking about accumulating snowfall on June 7th-8th. I'll post pics of whatever does fall!

Currently light rain and 41F after a midnight high of 60F.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Nothing too exciting here yesterday. Severe Thunderstorm Watch was issued but no storms tracked over Bozeman itself. Crazy downslope winds gusting to 40+ mph all day. The Chinook winds brought the hottest day of the year, 81F IMBY and 86F in town.

Looks like things are trending wetter and colder for today into tomorrow in the final stretch. Euro is back up to showing 8-10" of snowfall here while the GFS is on the low end showing 3-5". I'll go with 3-6" here and 1-3" in town. Either way, I can't believe I'm talking about accumulating snowfall on June 7th-8th. I'll post pics of whatever does fall!

Currently light rain and 41F after a midnight high of 60F.

You finally get a really warm day and it comes with a raging 40 mph wind all day?   :rolleyes:

You finally get a really warm day and it comes with a raging 40 mph wind all day?   :rolleyes:

Yeah... it blew like that for nearly 30 hours straight. Not fun.

I'll take today's 40's and rain over the wind like we had yesterday.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Already starting to get a rain/snow mix here. Was a very chilly raw day with a daytime high of 49F and 0.5" of rain and counting.

Currently 37F and dropping.

• Like 2

Cold Season 2023/24:

Already starting to get a rain/snow mix here. Was a very chilly raw day with a daytime high of 49F and 0.5" of rain and counting.

Currently 37F and dropping.

It’s really important to me that you know my opinion about this. Stay tuned.

• Like 1

Snow started sticking about an hour half ago. Trees are already not happy. Love seeing the snow but really hope that we can avoid major tree damage tonight.

Currently 33F.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Snow started sticking about an hour half ago. Trees are already not happy. Love seeing the snow but really hope that we can avoid major tree damage tonight.

Currently 33F.

Final snow total?