Mountain West Discussion

Black Hole

I think I've seen a total of 3-4 blizzard warnings in the 12 years I've lived here, prior to the past month. So pretty crazy to see 2 in such a short span.

I’ve seen 0 :/

Maybe some day.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Still snowing and 31F. There has been some sort of precipitation falling for about 84 hours straight now with the last 20 hours or so being snowfall.

Ready for a break and to give these daffodils some sunshine!

http://i66.tinypic.com/13zv6kz.jpg

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

About 1/3" of precip this morning, also about .3" of snow. Some spots had a few inches.

Looks like my best chance of some additional snow will be Friday morning. Generally unsettled through that time.

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Still finding ways to snow here, mostly upslope at this point I guess. About 6" in the last couple of days but we're getting a lot of daytime melting so kind of tough to measure.

Looks like the snow showers should continue through tomorrow with finally a break and some sunshine on Saturday. Unsettled pattern returns on Sunday-Wednesday of next week. Currently 32F.

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Off and on showers of snow/graupel/rain the last 2 days. Should dry out tomorrow but more rain for Monday.

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Got a lake effect band overnight for a few hours. 3" of wet snow fell. Fun to see!

• Like 1

Picked up another 3" of snow here this morning with the NW flow continuing. Today marks my 8th straight day of measurable precip so definitely looking forward to a dry day tomorrow before the wet weather returns Sunday through Wednesday.

Good chance we hit the 60's for the first time this year by late next week. The warmest day this year has only been 52F so 60's sound downright tropical at this point!

Cold Season 2023/24:

Most of the snow melted yesterday as the sun came out for a bit in the afternoon and temp got up to 41. 

Cloudy and cold today with a temp of just 32 currently. Some snow showers are likely this evening, and tomorrow will be cold again before we warm way up for Sunday and Monday.

A forum for the end of the world.

I received a good bit of rain the last few days. My April total is 3.21", this coming after 5.27" in March. In other words, 8.48" at my place since March 1st, which is amazingly wet for this part of the world. 

I received a good bit of rain the last few days. My April total is 3.21", this coming after 5.27" in March. In other words, 8.48" at my place since March 1st, which is amazingly wet for this part of the world. 

That's impressive. What's the March record for precip there? That would beat DEN's, which is 4.81".

The last time I had anywhere close to that much in less than 2 months was April-May 2015, when I saw about 8" in six weeks.

But nothing will ever (I doubt) beat the ridiculousness of Sep 2013 here.

That's impressive. What's the March record for precip there? That would beat DEN's, which is 4.81".

The last time I had anywhere close to that much in less than 2 months was April-May 2015, when I saw about 8" in six weeks.

But nothing will ever (I doubt) beat the ridiculousness of Sep 2013 here.

Going back to the 1870s the record is 4.66" (1890) but the number two record is 4.00". SLC ended up with 3.96". So not quite the March record. 

My total was higher as my area is generally wetter, and that was my wettest month in my 10 or so years in Utah. 

I remember Sep 2013. That sure was an amazing storm!

Quiet weather the last couple days, but Sunday I had a pretty good thunderstorm with hail and frequent lightning. 

Been a wet'ish month so far in Bozeman with 3.29" in the precip gauge. About average temps though which has been great after the ice box March we had.

Looking like a rainy, raw day out there today with highs in the mid 40's.

Tomorrow night into Sunday a very cold system moves in here dropping highs to around freezing and lows even down to the low teens. Could possibly see some record lows fall Monday morning.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Blizzard Warning posted just north of here. Here in Bozeman it looks like we'll stay just below blizzard warning criteria but still some strong north winds of 30-45mph and a burst of heavy snow tonight through tomorrow morning. Expecting 2-4" here.

Tomorrow night is still looking extremely cold with the winds backing off and clearing skies. Lows should drop into the very low 10's and threatening several record lows.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Blizzard Warning posted just north of here. Here in Bozeman it looks like we'll stay just below blizzard warning criteria but still some strong north winds of 30-45mph and a burst of heavy snow tonight through tomorrow morning. Expecting 2-4" here.

Tomorrow night is still looking extremely cold with the winds backing off and clearing skies. Lows should drop into the very low 10's and threatening several record lows.

Looks like this same storm could be significant here. 12z GFS showed about 8" Monday into Tuesday morning.

• Like 1

Picked up 4" here overnight. The front came blowing through here around 6am with windchills in the single digits. This doesn't feel like a spring storm, feels like winter is back.

Currently 23F with windchills hovering in the low 10's.

http://www.simpleimageresizer.com/_uploads/photos/6017a3e4/Screen_Shot_2019-04-28_at_8.33.52_AM.jpg

Cold Season 2023/24:

Picked up 4" here overnight. The front came blowing through here around 6am with windchills in the single digits. This doesn't feel like a spring storm, feels like winter is back.

Currently 23F with windchills hovering in the low 10's.

http://www.simpleimageresizer.com/_uploads/photos/6017a3e4/Screen_Shot_2019-04-28_at_8.33.52_AM.jpg

Looks like May is just about there. :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The only thing we got from the storm was high winds with wind chills in the high teens/low 20's from about 1 am to noon or so today. It was a very bitter wind. Fields with water going still had ice in area's at noon. It suppose to freeze for the next three nights. Frost blankets are covering newly sprouted Kale, Swiss Chard, lettuce etc.

Dropped down to 8F here this morning after a high of 31F yesterday. By far my coldest reading on record for this late in the year but with only 3 years of record isn't saying all too much. The Airport only dropped down to 15F so my single digit low was obviously aided a lot by more snow on the ground than down in the low valley's. 

Expecting another 1-3" of snow tonight into tomorrow morning.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Dropped down to 8F here this morning after a high of 31F yesterday. By far my coldest reading on record for this late in the year but with only 3 years of record isn't saying all too much. The Airport only dropped down to 15F so my single digit low was obviously aided a lot by more snow on the ground than down in the low valley's. 

Expecting another 1-3" of snow tonight into tomorrow morning.

Unbelievable.   That just seems hard to comprehend. 

Just a reminder... here is what late April should look like (in my opinion):

58635795_2185778091490387_58131199259668

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Unbelievable.   That just seems hard to comprehend. 

Just a reminder... here is what late April should look like (in my opinion):

Beautiful! Yeah, we'll get there eventually but we're about 6-8 weeks behind you guys. The good news about the late green up out this way is that it lasts all the way through August whereas the PNW starts drying out pretty quickly in June. We'll have wildflowers blooming through July this year!

Just hope my daffodils made it through the night...luckily they haven't bloomed yet.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Beautiful! Yeah, we'll get there eventually but we're about 6-8 weeks behind you guys. The good news about the late green up out this way is that it lasts all the way through August whereas the PNW starts drying out pretty quickly in June. We'll have wildflowers blooming through July this year!

Just hope my daffodils made it through the night...luckily they haven't bloomed yet.

It usually does not start to turn a little brown along the roads here until mid July and the rain usually returns in late August... so its a short window in this area.

And we have wildflowers most of the summer too. My favorite is foxglove which are everywhere and usually blooming well into July.

This was late June in 2017...

19222824_1359720800762791_12998271762336

It usually does not start to turn a little brown along the roads here until mid July and the rain usually returns in late August... so its a short window in this area.

I know you live in a wacky microclimate, but the "rains" don't usually return in August for the PNW lowlands. Not in any regular fashion, more like mid to late September on average.

And in recent years, I know many people have had plenty of brown from June - September. Even started in May for some areas last year.

• Like 1

I know you live in a wacky microclimate, but the "rains" don't usually return in August for the PNW lowlands. Not in any regular fashion, more like mid to late September on average.

And in recent years, I know many people have had plenty of brown from June - September. Even started in May for some areas last year.

I don't live in some wacky microclimate... its just the Cascade foothills.  

And I was comparing the scenery here with Kayla.   And even though we are way ahead of them now... it will not turn terribly brown and dry here in the summer (unless we have another 2015).   And it will stay greener much longer into the fall here as well.  

In most years... we get a good soaking rain in this area by the end of August and the fall green up begins.    The fall green up is beautiful as well.    

Should get a little rain here tomorrow and maybe even a touch of snow for Wednesday morning. Much more rain to my south though. 

Finally warming up here today after three consecutive days of highs in the 30's. Still dropped down to 19F this morning though.

Looks like Bozeman ended up with 3.93" of precip which is good enough for 3rd wettest April on record. 5 of the top 6 wettest Aprils have all come in this century. Spring is getting wetter around here it would seem...

Cold Season 2023/24:

I had a few flakes, with some spots nearby getting 1-2" from lake effect. Should be a big warm up this week.

Winter still likes to show its ugly face sometimes in May, despite that "My Girl" song saying "I've got sunshine like a day in May"

Down here we call it May Gray.

I've got sunshine on a cloudy day

When it's cold outside I've got the month of May

Well I guess you'd say

What can make me feel this way?

My girl (my girl, my girl)

Talkin' 'bout my girl (my girl)

Creepy post....

Correcting his lyrics... thought it did not sound right.   Copied and pasted it in 2 seconds.