June 2019 Weather Discussion in the PNW

Side note... 12Z ECMWF also shows a weak marine push on Friday morning with low clouds for most of the lowlands through noon and high temps about 2-3 degrees cooler than the 4th.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Side note... 12Z ECMWF also shows a weak marine push on Friday morning with low clouds for most of the lowlands through noon and high temps about 2-3 degrees cooler than the 4th.

You’re hyper-focused on the 4th of July, my brother.

What are you doing on that day which requires an inferno heatwave?

They’ve emerged here too. It’s insanely loud especially when the sun is shining.

FWIW you’re probably hearing katydids as well during the overnight hours. For now it’s a chorus of five species during the day....“scissor grinder” cicada, dog day cicada, “swamp” cicada, Lynne’s cicada, and Robinson’s cicada. There are two more species that emerge later in July.

These are the “annual” cicadas, btw (they emerge every year). The periodical cicadas emerge every 13 or 17yrs depending on the brood. There are ~ 15 periodical broods scattered about.

Yep. There's frogs, crickets, cicadas, and god knows what else.
  • Like 1

You’re hyper-focused on the 4th of July, my brother.

What are you doing on that day which requires an inferno heatwave?

I always track holidays... might as well report what it shows so other people have the information as well.

Where did I say that I require an inferno?   That is strawman hyperbole right there.   75-80 and sunny would be ideal.   All day marine layer clouds would be "depressing" as you said yesterday.   There is no chance of an inferno at this point.    ;)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

SEA up to 73 now... BFI and RNT are at 74.   

I am guessing the high of 75 for all 3 stations that the 12Z ECMWF shows for today will be a little bit cool.

Today looked cool and cloudy and a little wet a few days ago in the models.   But now we are going to be on the lake later today.    That is "nice".   ;)

Just normal 850mb temps results in perfect summer weather...

ecmwf_T850a_us_1.png

Some convection firing already along the Cascade crest near Snoqualmie Pass.    It appears to be moving to the NNE and should not have any impact on the lowlands today.   Makes for a pretty sky to the east though. 

ATX-0-2.png

Wow... this is crazy.   Anchorage will be much warmer than Seattle.   And not for just one day... but consistently so.

anchoirage.png

Bad news about the heat in Alaska is that there are now fires and lots of smoke and it could end up close to the PNW.    It seems that no matter what our weather does... fires in CA or BC or AK can ruin our air quality anyways.

2019063012_V2019070212Z_gemmach_PM2.5_di

Bad news about the heat in Alaska is that there are now fires and lots of smoke and it could end up close to the PNW. It seems that no matter what our weather does... fires in CA or BC or AK can ruin our air quality anyways.

2019063012_V2019070212Z_gemmach_PM2.5_di

Just need to get a few weeks of GOA troughing to scour that s**t out. Might happen in late July. [crosses fingers]

70 degrees as of 1:30pm. Beautiful Sunday afternoon.

That is just about the coolest spot in the region.   

TEMP.png

SEA is at 75.

And right on the water... Bremerton is at 79 and Gig Harbor is at 80.   Even Vashon Island is at 77.

Is it going to snow this winter?

Well I hear the upcoming El Niño could be a El NoGo and the sun is still dead...so possibly?

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Low to mid 70s every day here in Mexico City, with brief rain showers on a couple evenings.

Other than that, a hellish shithole.

IMG_20190628_164202869_HDR.jpg

Probably still cleaner and safer than Seattle!
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

That is just about the coolest spot in the region.

TEMP.png

SEA is at 75.

And right on the water... Bremerton is at 79 and Gig Harbor is at 80. Even Vashon Island is at 77.

interesting I was looking at that earlier didn’t realize how much cooler it was earlier. It’s at 73 degrees now overall really pleasant nice day with some NE breezes pushing through.

A lot of times it’s cooler here during the summer when we had the heatwave a couple weeks back in the south sound area we were one of the coolest spots.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

74 degrees here as of 4pm. Warmest day we’ve had in about 2 weeks here. Feels like real summer weather today not so much on Monday and Tuesday it seems. Hoping for as much rain as possible here the next couple days.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

So every time my gf and I go to the valley she always says it’s so humid there in the summer lol. I know it’s not since it’s always dry in the summer. She says her hair gets frizzy and feels hotter when in all reality it’s usually hotter in Central Oregon. Any ideas guys or is she crazy lol?

Just anecdotal, but when I go east of the Cascades my lips tend to chap and dry out because of the lower humidity. As soon as I go back west, they rehydrate. This seems to happen even in summer. Could just be dust.

My lips also dry out when we get strong dry east wind events in winter, so there's that.

79F at EUG. Made it up to 83F. Beautiful out today, wish my kids weren't sick.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope