June 2019 Weather Discussion in the PNW

I thought today was supposed to be wet? Dry all day here!

I should have mowed.

It was really wet here this morning... thick fog and heavy drizzle.   But it has been dry since late morning so I took advantage of the break.   But without the sun, the grass was still sopping wet and messy.   I did not really break a sweat while mowing so I guess that is the definition of success for some people on here.   It should always be cold enough so you never, ever sweat.  The horror!    :rolleyes:

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Have not watered the lawn once this year yet... sort of wish it would dry out a little so it stops growing so fast.

20190623-145845.jpg

Try mulching around your landscape trees. Helps them avoid damage from trimmers you must use w/ the grass right up next to them, and dampens the diurnal temperature cycle in their root zone which boosts immune responses to many fungal pathogens.

Also, have you checked your soil pH levels? Hard to tell from that pic, but I wonder if yours is on the low (acidic) side? Do you use a lot of nitrogen fertilizers?

Living on the edge!

41%. Don’t start sweating until I get below 10%. However I never let my truck get below a quarter tank of gas!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Try mulching around your landscape trees. Helps them avoid damage from trimmers you must use w/ the grass right up next to them, and dampens the diurnal temperature cycle in their root zone which boosts immune responses to many fungal pathogens.

Also, have you checked your soil pH levels? Hard to tell from that pic, but I wonder if yours is on the low (acidic) side? Do you use a lot of nitrogen fertilizers?

We did mulch there... and then the bushes got too big.

I did not use any fertilizer at all this year.   That is the first time ever.  I figured that fertilizer just forces you to mow more and its not good for the environment.   Its grown slower this year but still going strong due to well-timed rain events.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Off to Bend again tonight for an overnighter with my GF as she work tomorrow over there. Can't wait to scout places for potential freeway lanes to go. ;)

taking the family down there later this week to see family. Staying at Sunriver this time. Looking like it will be getting warm down there by the time we get there.
  • Like 1

I did not use any fertilizer at all this year. That is the first time ever. I figured that fertilizer just forces you to mow more and its not good for the environment. Its grown slower this year but still going strong due to well-timed rain events.

I never fertilized at our old place that was 2 acres of grass and it would stay healthy green for the majority if the summer...I am finding the same thing here at our new place. I don’t like to fertilize due to the increased growth (even with the slow release) and I don’t like my dogs walking on it. And partially due to PTSD from my years at the golf course and senior community. Especially the golf course where I personally applied thousands and thousands of pounds of fertilizer each year. Not to mentions the hundreds and hundreds of gallons of roundup and other chemicals.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I did not use any fertilizer at all this year. That is the first time ever. I figured that fertilizer just forces you to mow more and its not good for the environment. Its grown slower this year but still going strong due to well-timed rain events.

I was referring to that tree on the right, which looks like a Japanese Maple (though I can’t tell w/ the resolution).

It’s the trees that need mulching more than the bushes, due to their more expansive root systems. The constant compaction of the soil by mowers, sucking of nutrients by grass, wounding by string trimmers, and the aforementioned thermal effects, can have an immense impact on their overall health (both short term and long term).

We haven’t lost a tree in over a decade. They’re mostly maintenance free if you protect their roots, keep the soil at a balanced pH + nutrient-rich, and seal their wounds whenever they lose a branch or a limb.

41%. Don’t start sweating until I get below 10%. However I never let my truck get below a quarter tank of gas!

Yeah most people don’t realize just how bad it is for your fuel system to run low on gas.

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Meh, I’ve driven a ton with supposedly 0-miles-to-empty.

It’s just a buffer zone for morons who don’t understand their vehicles.

Yeah most people don’t realize just how bad it is for your fuel system to run low on gas.

Yeah, if you’re driving a 2002 Nissan Quest.

I was referring to that tree on the right, which looks like a Japanese Maple (though I can’t tell w/ the resolution).

It’s the trees that need mulching more than the bushes, due to their more expansive root systems. The constant compaction of the soil by mowers, sucking of nutrients by grass, wounding by string trimmers, and the aforementioned thermal effects, can have an immense impact on their overall health (both short term and long term).

We haven’t lost a tree in over a decade. They’re mostly maintenance free if you protect their roots, keep the soil at a balanced pH + nutrient-rich, and seal their wounds whenever they lose a branch or a limb.

Yes... that a red leaf japanese maple.

And there is actually mulch around the base of the tree but the grass was too long in that pic to see it.   Probably need more... but that tree is thriving.    It has doubled in size in the last 3 or 4 years.   Its probably 8 year old now and was waist high when planted.   Now it towers over me.  

Bend trip called off at the last minute so staying home tonight. As much as I love going over there, it’s a lot more fun going when I have more time to appreciate everything.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Yes... that a red leaf japanese maple.

And there is actually mulch around the base of the tree but the grass was too long in that pic to see it. Probably need more... but that tree is thriving. It has doubled in size in the last 3 or 4 years. Its probably 8 year old now and was waist high when planted. Now it towers over me.

So there’s grass growing in the mulchbed?

And yeah, those guys tend to be rapid growers in youth. Let’s hope his roots are as happy as his face lets on.

So there’s grass growing in the mulchbed?

And yeah, those guys tend to be rapid growers in youth. Let’s hope his roots are as happy as his face lets on.

No... its a small circle of mulch but the grass between me and the tree was so long that it was not visible from that angle.

BTW, is anyone noticing an unusually large number of lightning bugs this year? I’m about to go on an evening jog down by the Potomac and it’s just a sea of them out there. Been like this for the last week.

Still dusk with plenty of ambient light remaining but it’s pretty clear I won’t need my LED headlamp when running the (typically dark) trails tonight.

BTW, is anyone noticing an unusually large number of lightning bugs this year? I’m about to go on an evening jog down by the Potomac and it’s just a sea of them out there. Been like this for the last week.

Still dusk with plenty of ambient light remaining but it’s pretty clear I won’t need my LED headlamp when running the (typically dark) trails tonight.

They don't have them in the West. Never noticed the complete lack of them on your many trips out here? ;)

A forum for the end of the world.

They don't have them in the West. Never noticed the complete lack of them on your many trips out here? ;)

How should I know? They’re done by late July here and I assumed the same was true there.

I hear westerners using the term “firefly” all the time.

How should I know? They’re done by late July here and I assumed the same was true there.

Correct. We don’t have them west of the Rockies I don’t think.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

I have not seen a single out here... or in San Diego when we lived there.   Remember them well growing up in MN though.

Here is a better pic that I just took now...

20190623-175509.jpg

We have one similar in our front yard. Complete with grass growing right up to the trunk with no mulch. I’m careful with the trimmer when trimming up against the bark. Tree seems to be thriving.

I remember you posting pics of trees with colourful bark before. Was it called a “coral bark maple?”

We have one similar in our front yard. Complete with grass growing right up to the trunk with no mulch. I’m careful with the trimmer when trimming up against the bark. Tree seems to be thriving.

I remember you posting pics of trees with colourful bark before. Was it called a “coral bark maple?”

Yes... coral bark japanese maple. Awesome tree. Looks great all year long.

Since the big snowstorm in mid February, Shawnigan Lake has recorded just 5.27” of precip. Comox just 3.39”.

4.35” total here during that time frame here. However we’re one of the drier spots in western WA most places have done a bit better.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

4.35” total here during that time frame here. However we’re one of the drier spots in western WA most places have done a bit better.

21.35 inches since March 1st at the Cedar Lake station.   That is just over 70% of normal.  

2.77 inches for June so far... should end up close to 4 inches.

Its been drier than normal and still lush green and wet.   Side note... its been drizzling all evening here with nothing on the radar.   Nobody out here ever worries about a lack of rain.  And you could be here in about 30 minutes.     ;)

It feels like forever since there has been a sunrise here.   I think the last time there was sun in the early morning was on 6/13.    Tuesday has a possibility to break the streak.   But a new streak will probably start the next day.   So much for enjoying the longest days of the year.   Every day we wake up to dark and gloomy.     Even a couple totally sunny days mixed in would be greatly appreciated.   Seems like a small wish for summer. 

21.35 inches since March 1st at the Cedar Lake station. That is just over 70% of normal.

2.77 inches for June so far... should end up close to 4 inches.

Its been drier than normal and still lush green and wet. Side note... its been drizzling all evening here with nothing on the radar. Nobody out here ever worries about a lack of rain. And you could be here in about 30 minutes. ;)

amazing how a few miles makes that much of a difference. I have been hoping for rain more than almost anyone because of how dry it’s been locally but some places are doing quite a bit better. 12.05” on the year so far here the driest year I have is 27.77” total in 2013. this year could be close to that if we don’t get a wet second half of the year. Atleast the resivoirs in the cascades are doing well.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

amazing how a few miles makes that much of a difference. I have been hoping for rain more than almost anyone because of how dry it’s been locally but some places are doing quite a bit better. 12.05” on the year so far here the driest year I have is 27.77” total in 2013. this year could be close to that if we don’t get a wet second half of the year. Atleast the resivoirs in the cascades are doing well.

38.67 inches for the year so far at the Cedar Lake station... 71% of normal.