November 2023 Weather in the PNW

Tyler Mode

Sorry I'm late. I just got back from Wallymart, after going to Bi Mart, then back to Bi Mart, and yeah. Fun stuff. Let's see how wet the next 5 to 7 days are. Do we get nailed by one AR(atmospheric river)? or two? Might we see a deep low spin up somewhat close to us for Sunday? No idea.

00z GFS Day 1 (4-run trend)

trend-gfs-2023113000-f024.500h_anom.na.gif

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Poulsbo Snowman said:

I think I like the look of that ridge if the Kona low doesn't muck it up.

I think that’s too far west. -WPO and IPWP MJO in a strong niño typically doesn’t work because tropical forcing has usually propagated into the Pacific by the time the pieces come together over the NPAC. End result is usually a major +EPO followed by +PNA a few weeks later.

• Like 4

Also if Scandinavia ridge develops in a couple weeks as suggested by guidance, we don’t want the -WPO/AR present because it neuters WAFz thru NPAC, reducing the effectiveness of the Scandinavia ridge in dropping the NAM.

-WPO is a very promising sign for PNW/W-Canada in Niña/+QBO years. But this year is Niño/-QBO, in which case +WPO/-EPO dipole is the most favorable loading pattern.

• Like 4

Waste of a scandi ridge on the 00z GFS. -WPO effectively torpedoes vertical wave activity fluxes from NW-Pacific. Zzzzzz.

00z Canadian is much more promising.

• Like 3

There should be some kind of law that a restaurant closing has to be publicly reported 30 days in advance. Why am I hearing about the old Triple XXX Root Beer Drive-In in Issaquah closing tonight because they sold the property 30 minutes after they closed? Would have liked to have gotten one more frosty root beer even if it is frosty outside. My kids are very sad. Used to go there to celebrate the last day of school. 

• Sad 3

7 minutes ago, NorthBend RainEnthusiast said:

Lightly snowing! 

There’s some echoes returning on radar. I wonder if other places are getting snow. Not snowing here.

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

1 minute ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

EVERYONE, RUN OUTSIDE AND LOOK AT YOUR STREET LAMPS!!

Nothing. I’m always getting skunked. 😞

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • scream 1
  • Sick 1
  • Troll 1
  • Weenie 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

3 minutes ago, CliffMassYelledAtMe said:

Radar shows light snow, mix, or plain rain all over the place but I can't tell from any traffic cams if anything is reaching the ground. 

Still, first visit to traffic cam snow watch of the season! And unexpected too!!

Your right! Need to take this moment in as I did the first death stare into the Streetlamp!   

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, SnowWillarrive said:

My weather app claims it’s light snow. I don’t see anything 😔

It's very light but can confirm here.  Not readily apparent but when I looked really closely I did see a couple tiny flakes.

• Like 3
  • Excited 1
  • Snow 4
  • scream 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

It's very light but can confirm here.  Not readily apparent but when I looked really closely I did see a couple tiny flakes.

Go build a Flurry Man, Tim!

00z ECMWF in 7 minutes

This run can't possibly be as crazy wet as the 12z deluge this morning, right? 8"+ of rain. No way. I mean maybe. Let's find out...

• Like 1
  • Excited 1