January Weather In The PNW 2024 (Part III) - The Warming Shot

iFred

So took the dog out for a walk and stuck to the grass, which is still quite frozen. Water is just pooling up on the surface as it slooooowly thaws out. The sidewalk was slick as heck, and there is visible slush in the parking lot as well as patches of ice on the margins. It’s raining solidly.

Holding steady at 34 degrees, and we dropped right to freezing at 4am for an hour. I’m a block from Lake Washington, so I’m genuinely surprised how long this cold has stuck around for me.

What weather stations do folks use? I have a basic La Crosse station but am wanting to get something that gives me more than temps and humidity.

IMG_3448.jpeg

IMG_3445.jpeg

• Like 6

Just now, MossMan said:

Ouch. Let kids have a little fun since it’s so rare to have a snow day. So dumb. 

IMG_1991.jpeg

Schools have gone off the deep end with that crap. My kids school is 2hrs late today and releasing 1hr early. What is even the point? Don't even get me started on their new rules for illness. Then, of course, they have the nerve to chastise parents when your kid misses school due to their illness rules, after they just made them miss 2 freakin years due to covid. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 2

5 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

wow it sure dont like the idea of snow here with that. I feel confident for a few here. Upper levels will start out cold enough here and the offshore flow will be deeper.

Raging east wind with that warm front tomorrow... but the cold air source is being scoured out today so the Seattle area ends up with temps in the mid to upper 30s.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-wnd10m_stream_mph-5604400.png

Edited by TT-SEA

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, SnowWillarrive said:

I for sure thought Mossman would wake up with 4-6 inches of snow today. 

I could hear the gutters running when I went to bed around midnight, woke up at 4am and didn’t hear any gutter action so I got very excited and got up to do a deck check…The letdown was indescribable. 

• Sad 4
  • Sick 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Up to 1.5" out there now with continued heavy snow and a temperature of 32.8F. Definitely quite wet with probably a 7:1 or 5:1 ratio instead of the normal 10:1. Roughly 2 hours left of snowfall and HRRR gives me 2" more Kuchera. That's a good bet based on these rates. I've already surpassed the Euro forecast, but not quite at the 12" the GEM predicted.

• Like 7

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

5 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Ouch. Let kids have a little fun since it’s so rare to have a snow day. So dumb. 

IMG_1991.jpeg

If I had kids they'd have the choice.  We lived for snow days growing up.  Having online learning on a day you can go out is super lame.  I can guarantee a lot of parents are thinking the same thing.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

Eh, climo response to phase-7 (WPAC) MJO deteriorates substantially by that point. In tandem with recovering PV, smart odds are against any arctic air into the CONUS (IMO).

Climo response to phase-7 MJO Jan 21 & Jan 30, respectively:

IMG_9709.png

IMG_9710.png

We'll see.  It just seems like a strong wave in 7 almost always delivers here.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, Skagit Weather said:

Up to 1.5" out there now with continued heavy snow and a temperature of 32.8F. Definitely quite wet with probably a 7:1 or 5:1 ratio instead of the normal 10:1. Roughly 2 hours left of snowfall and HRRR gives me 2" more Kuchera. That's a good bet based on these rates. I've already surpassed the Euro forecast, but not quite at the 12" the GEM predicted.

How does the Hrrrrrrrr look for my area? Similar? 

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Raging east wind with that warm front tomorrow... but the cold air source is being scoured out today so the Seattle area ends up with temps in the mid to upper 30s.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-wnd10m_stream_mph-5604400.png

Some of the meso models are showing 850 and 925 beow zero during heavy precip and that is a for sure snow profile here even with onshore flow sometimes.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

At a very warm 43* here in Yelm with a nice rain.  Snow is almost all gone. Kids said "Eff that" to 20min classes today and stayed home. lol (Jr and Sr in HS) Love seeing the snow pics from those that are scoring today!! Keep em comin! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Some of the meso models are showing 850 and 925 beow zero during heavy precip and that is a for sure snow profile here even with onshore flow sometimes.

FWIW... here is the ECMWF 925mb temps for early tomorrow afternoon as the precip is starting.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t925-5611600.png

• Like 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

11 minutes ago, SnowWillarrive said:

I for sure thought Mossman would wake up with 4-6 inches of snow today. 

I have to admit seeing Whatcom County get hit like this today hurts a bit.  They are on such a roll up there.  No doubt it's Seattle's turn now.  However, when you consider we just got hit really good in Dec 2021, and did ok last winter it goes to show how great this decade has been so far.

• Like 4

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, FrozenBites said:

Jan 30th - Feb 5th We will be back in action with cold. Let's see if I'm onto something or how much crow I can eat in 5 minutes.

Models are hinting at it.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 minutes ago, Lynnwoodweather said:

Convergence zone signature! 

King County has some potential when the wind shifts to NW a bit later on.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

We'll see.  It just seems like a strong wave in 7 almost always delivers here.

First half of winter and/or pre-SSW (absorptive vs reflective state) and I’d be with you.

But given we have neither of the above, and given the upcoming cycle of momentum deposition in tandem with strong niño…I mean it’s not *impossible*, but there’s no reason to explicitly forecast a cold outcome. No support for it, either statistically or dynamically.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I have to admit seeing Whatcom County get hit like this today hurts a bit.  They are on such a roll up there.  No doubt it's Seattle's turn now.  However, when you consider we just got hit really good in Dec 2021, and did ok last winter it goes to show how great this decade has been so far.

If things would of lined up better we could of had better wide spread snow, so close!

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

5 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

As a teacher, I promise you, so are we. I've had many conversations with my coworkers about how dumb that is and how largely worthless a suddenly thrown together singular online day would be.

I totally agree.  Trying to teach a kid when they are excited about snow just adds to how dumb it is.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

First half of winter and/or pre-SSW (absorptive vs reflective state) and I’d be with you.

But given we have neither of the above, and given the upcoming cycle of momentum deposition in tandem with strong niño…I mean it’s not *impossible*, but there’s no reason to explicitly forecast a cold outcome. No support for it, either statistically or dynamically.

Very interesting points.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

8 minutes ago, MossMan said:

How does the Hrrrrrrrr look for my area? Similar? 

Looks like you get 2-3" more.

Right now I'm seeing of the heaviest snow I've ever seen here. Probably 1.5-2" an hour. I can't even see across the street.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

9 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

As a teacher, I promise you, so are we. I've had many conversations with my coworkers about how dumb that is and how largely worthless a suddenly thrown together singular online day would be.

Yeah completely absurd. If I were a parent I’d pull my kids out of school so they can enjoy it. It’s one fucking day, it won’t alter your life course (save silly chaos theory stuff that is impossible to predict, lol).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

I left education this last June, and yeah, it's ridiculous. I don't know what your district is like as far as pacing freedom, but for us we couldn't pause for a day and teach about snow, or weather, or something that would relate to what was going on. Nope, we'd have to stick to the guide. Half my class would be missing and the other half physically present but mentally absent. It would not be hard to have some really excellent snow day curriculum on tap that would be great enrichment for those who can/want to take part virtually.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MikeInEverett said:

In Shoreline for work today but based off cams looks like still rain at home and around Paine Field.

But somehow we have very wet snow falling here in Shoreline. That doesn’t make sense 😂

• Like 2

(Previous name: MillCreekMike)

Everett, WA (elev. 180’)

2023-2024 Snowfall:

1/11: Tr.

1/18: Tr.

Go M’s

Still 33 here.  Holding onto this low level cold could end up paying dividends when the mid levels plunge a bit later.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, FrozenBites said:

As most winters in W Washington. One day we all are going to be clobbered. February sounds like a start.  

February has been the big month since 2016. I suspect that’ll reverse, though given how long the January curse lasted, who knows? 😂 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skagit Weather said:

Looks like you get 2-3" more.

Right now I'm seeing of the heaviest snow I've ever seen here. Probably 1.5-2" an hour. I can't even see across the street.

Yeah I can barely see across I-5 now at work. 

• scream 1