January 17-19 Plains-Midwest Snowfall

Hoosier

Worst thing I have ever seen! Wow, when that band moved thru visibility literally was zero. I left school at 415 and couldn’t see in front of my truck. There are reports of multiple car pile ups including one just outside of town. Worst one is north of Columbus that involved over 50 vehicles. 

• Like 6

It appears Des Moines got bulls-eyed yet again.  There is a report of 4.5" near the city.

• Like 3

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

KDSM comfortably in 2nd place for JAN with near 27" thus far. Right around 4" at the airport.

4 of the last 6 Jan's are in the top 10 snowiest. Crazy

image.png.1b049a13f5e94f78001a709df5e8bd8a.png

• Like 5

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

3 hours ago, gabel23 said:

Worst thing I have ever seen! Wow, when that band moved thru visibility literally was zero. I left school at 415 and couldn’t see in front of my truck. There are reports of multiple car pile ups including one just outside of town. Worst one is north of Columbus that involved over 50 vehicles. 

IMG_3159.mov

I helped one of my top customers/ distributors out with a booth at the Northeast Nebraska Ag Expo in Norfolk, NE yesterday and today. I made the decision to make the drive back to Omaha after the show ended, leaving Norfolk around 3:00pm when the heaviest snow was just ending there. The drive south down Highway 81 was terrifying at times, numerous white outs, and several vehicles stuck on the side of the road and a couple jack-knifed trucks (I even received a Public Emergency Alert for no travel advised on east to west Highway 91 due to that massive pileup, something I have never seen before). 

I don't know how I made it south to Columbus and ultimately east on Highway 30, and then to Highway 275 to get back to Omaha without any major issues, however it was one of the worst drives I have ever experienced (and I travel quite a bit across Nebraska and Iowa for work). A few co-workers of mine that were lagging behind a bit pulled off Highway 81 in Platte Center for 4-5 hours where they waited out the white out conditions for a bit. So glad we all made it home safely... even though a typical 2-hour drive turned out to be a 4+ hour white knuckle ride home.  

IMG_3337[610].jpg

• Like 7

I finished with 1.8", a bit disappointing.  We were toward the north edge of the snow, where the flake quality was poor, so the ratio was only 11 to 1 despite the very cold atmosphere.  The best snow definitely shifted south.  

• Like 3

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Lake banding over Lake Michigan is gradually getting better organized.  I think I see a bit of a spin/mesolow type feature well offshore.  Placement appears to be west of where the HRRR has it, so more western models may be the way to go at least in the next 6-12 hrs.

• bongocat-test 1

ORD ended up through midnight yesterday with 0.8" and that brings their JAN totals up to an "Even Steven" of 15"!  Yup, the heaviest stuff went south towards C IL where I'm sure they welcomed this lovely puffy snow.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bryan1117 said:

I helped one of my top customers/ distributors out with a booth at the Northeast Nebraska Ag Expo in Norfolk, NE yesterday and today. I made the decision to make the drive back to Omaha after the show ended, leaving Norfolk around 3:00pm when the heaviest snow was just ending there. The drive south down Highway 81 was terrifying at times, numerous white outs, and several vehicles stuck on the side of the road and a couple jack-knifed trucks (I even received a Public Emergency Alert for no travel advised on east to west Highway 91 due to that massive pileup, something I have never seen before). 

I don't know how I made it south to Columbus and ultimately east on Highway 30, and then to Highway 275 to get back to Omaha without any major issues, however it was one of the worst drives I have ever experienced (and I travel quite a bit across Nebraska and Iowa for work). A few co-workers of mine that were lagging behind a bit pulled off Highway 81 in Platte Center for 4-5 hours where they waited out the white out conditions for a bit. So glad we all made it home safely... even though a typical 2-hour drive turned out to be a 4+ hour white knuckle ride home.  

IMG_3337[610].jpg

Glad you made it home safe; coming down 81 can be a nightmare when you throw in the blowing snow and that can make it even worse! Of course highway 30 can be just has bad; the worst of it is that 3 mile stretch coming into North Bend. Throw in those curves with the snow that can be a bad situation. The last storm we had they had a big pile up on that highway.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Already about 18" from the lake effect band near Michigan City and La Porte.  Gonna be some wild totals out of that area.  Radar is a sight... so many kinks/mesolow type features all throughout the band.

The swirls on radar are mesmerizing!  That's some wicked stuff right there...it looks like the swirls an airplane produces when they land and create this swirl behind their wings.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tom said:

That is heavenly!  I've seen it snow like this for 10-15 min max...but this is a whole other level!  Has it been like this for 3-4 hours?

Been snowing hard since I got up around 7:30. Still coming down pretty good though doesn't show it on the radar.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Good stuff.  Band heading east now but should come back west later.  Assuming it comes back west for a while, I wonder if we could see a 3 foot total somewhere by the time it's over.

Difficult to tell with the blowing but I would estimate close to 24" and it is still coming down...

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

By WNDU.com
Published: Jan. 19, 2024 at 1:05 PM CST|Updated: 55 minutes ago

LAPORTE COUNTY, Ind. (WNDU) - Our First Alert Weather team is receiving several reports across northern LaPorte County of over two feet of lake-effect snow, and it’s not over yet!

One of our viewers, Nancy Laughlin, has confirmed over two feet of snow has fallen as of 12 p.m. CST on Friday in Pinebrook subdivision on Oakmeadow Drive, which is just north of the city of LaPorte.

According to our First Alert Weather team, a FEMA coordinator for this region also confirms over two feet of snow.

https://www.wndu.com/2024/01/19/areas-laporte-county-see-over-2-feet-snow-friday/

• Like 1

Ok, this is getting ridiculous. I measured the snow on top of my generator and it is 23" but I think the actual total is higher. Snow is up to and covering the generator and outdoor ac cooling unit. Had to clear the snow around my furnace intake/exhaust before it choked off the heat! It is still coming down I would say 1"/hr and if this plume shifts back west, snow will be up to my windows...

IMG_1049.JPG

IMG_1050.JPG

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, tbone8 said:

Ok, this is getting ridiculous. I measured the snow on top of my generator and it is 23" but I think the actual total is higher. Snow is up to and covering the generator and outdoor ac cooling unit. Had to clear the snow around my furnace intake/exhaust before it choked off the heat! It is still coming down I would say 1"/hr and if this plume shifts back west, snow will be up to my windows...

IMG_1049.JPG

IMG_1050.JPG

What's the biggest LES event you have seen there?

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

What's the biggest LES event you have seen there?

I believe this is it. We have had some doozys before but don't recall ever over 2 feet and counting. Blizzard of 1978 was the most snow, about 36" but if that fetch comes back west, it may eclipse 78. This snow is very light and fluffy, 78 snow was very dense grains which made it so much more difficult to plow.

24 minutes ago, tbone8 said:

I believe this is it. We have had some doozys before but don't recall ever over 2 feet and counting. Blizzard of 1978 was the most snow, about 36" but if that fetch comes back west, it may eclipse 78. This snow is very light and fluffy, 78 snow was very dense grains which made it so much more difficult to plow.

Yeah, I can remember some 24-30"+ events off of southern Lake Michigan, but haven't been able to think of one where somebody hit 40", particularly in what will essentially only be about a 24-36 hour window. 

Recent HRRR runs are taking the band all the way west into Lake county later tonight before swinging back east tomorrow.

2 hours ago, indianajohn said:

Wow Tbone!!! That is some insane numbers! with the expected rain/freezing rain next week all that will turn into concrete. 

Ya, got my buddy coming tomorrow with a big tractor to plow me out...

Preliminary Local Storm Report
National Weather Service Northern Indiana
959 PM EST Fri Jan 19 2024

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0950 PM     Snow             3 SSW Springville       41.64N 86.76W
01/19/2024  M30.5 inch       La Porte           IN   Public

Taken at the intersection of Johnson Rd and
            Country Club Rd.

• Like 2

Preliminary Local Storm Report
National Weather Service Northern Indiana
938 PM EST Fri Jan 19 2024

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0930 PM     Snow             2 NNE Pinola            41.63N 86.78W
01/19/2024  M32.0 inch       La Porte           IN   Public

Facebook photo near Crestview Estates in La
            Porte with 32 inches of snow!!.
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tom said:

Snap some more pics and vids when you can @tbone8...this has been a hellova lake effect event for NW IN...would have loved to been able to witness it firsthand.  I'm sure this will be a memory for the ages!

Cripes, we got another 6ish inches over nite! Snow is now halfway up a 6 foot fence, 36" I would guess for the storm total and the plume is coming back for one last pass looks like within the hour. Will take some more pics when my buddy gets here and plows me out so I can walk around.

2.JPG

1.JPG

• Like 1
  • Snow 1