March 2024 Weather in the PNW

So far March has been absolutely perfect! 4” of snow at the beginning of the month that stuck around for almost a week, and then this stretch of sun and warmth…Wish every March could be like this! Makes what’s coming next much more bearable. 

• Like 2
  • scream 1
  • Weenie 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Saturday is very chilly on the 6z GFS with a perfectly timed deformation band all afternoon keeps 2 PM temps in the low 40's North of Seattle. Also has several feet of mountain snow next week with persistent cold onshore flow through Thursday.sfct-imp.us_state_wa(4).thumb.png.964dbdb0aed372c7ade786dd206d0149.png

• Like 2
  • Shivering 1

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

1 minute ago, bainbridgekid said:

Saturday is very chilly on the 6z GFS with a perfectly timed deformation band all afternoon keeps 2 PM temps in the low 40's North of Seattle.sfct-imp.us_state_wa(4).thumb.png.964dbdb0aed372c7ade786dd206d0149.png

Jealous. Hope that shifts south a bit.

• Downvote 1
  • Weenie 6

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

1 hour ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Living here and hating 35-45 degree drizzle is kind of like living in Florida and hating thunderstorms ;)

Living here and complaining about sunny warm weather is like Living in alaska and complaining about snow.

• Confused 1
  • Popcorn 1

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated April 29th) 88"

Snow depth at my home (updated April 29th) late season 1"!

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated April 29th) 92"!!

34 currently, surprisingly got down to 27 last night, figured the wind would keep it warmer than that. 

41 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

Saturday is very chilly on the 6z GFS with a perfectly timed deformation band all afternoon keeps 2 PM temps in the low 40's North of Seattle. Also has several feet of mountain snow next week with persistent cold onshore flow through Thursday.sfct-imp.us_state_wa(4).thumb.png.964dbdb0aed372c7ade786dd206d0149.png

ECMWF was a little farther north... but GFS could be right.  

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m_f_max6-1238400.png

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-precip_3hr_inch-1216800.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

57 minutes ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

Living here and complaining about sunny warm weather is like Living in alaska and complaining about snow.

You’re not the brightest bulb are you?

• Downvote 2
  • Weenie 3
  • Shivering 1

Phantom snow is back! Next Wednsday morning on the 12z GFS.

In non Phantom news, it also shows about 3 feet of mountain snow for the Cascades of Washington between this weekend and middle of next week. Would be excellent news.

prateptype_cat-imp.us_state_wa (2).png

• lol 1
  • Snow 2

5 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

Phantom snow is back!

Here is WB map for that event.  

gfs-deterministic-washington-snow_24hr_kuchera-1605600.png

• Sick 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

23 hours ago, bainbridgekid said:

Not only that, but it was 2 full degrees F warmer than the previous record in 09-10. Crazy to break a full country seasonal record by that much.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/climate/canada-winter-wmo-climate-1.7147699#:~:text=On average%2C the temperature over,4.1 C above the norm.

Can’t imagine how silly those anomalies would have looked without the January cold wave in western Canada.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

Phantom snow is back! Next Wednsday morning on the 12z GFS.

In non Phantom news, it also shows about 3 feet of mountain snow for the Cascades of Washington between this weekend and middle of next week. Would be excellent news.

But I thought everything was going to be on fire after the 4 days of sunshine...

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

2 hours ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

I see after all these years the weather preference cleansing continues.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

But I thought everything was going to be on fire after the 4 days of sunshine...

Over 100 wildfires in Canada have continued to burn though the winter.  Which is kind of crazy but also pretty common on these large fires once they start burning into the organic material underground.  

I also saw a report that for the first time in history, Canada had worse air quality than the US in 2023. Almost entirely smoke related.  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

ECMWF was a little farther north... but GFS could be right.  

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m_f_max6-1238400.png

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-precip_3hr_inch-1216800.png

12Z ECMWF is even farther north with that deformation band on Saturday.    Saturday is actually looking like a pretty decent day for the Seattle area with quite a bit of sunshine before some showers move up from the south late in the day.  

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m_f_max6-1238400 (1).png

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

Over 100 wildfires in Canada have continued to burn though the winter.  Which is kind of crazy but also pretty common on these large fires once they start burning into the organic material underground.  

I also saw a report that for the first time in history, Canada had worse air quality than the US in 2023. Almost entirely smoke related.  

Loving I Love You GIF

• Weenie 5

3 hours ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

You’re not the brightest bulb are you?

What did I say that was wrong exactly? Are you only capable of insulting people and not actually having a productive conversation?

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

What did I say that was wrong exactly? Are you only capable of insulting people and not actually having a productive conversation?

I don’t really think we’ll get anywhere if I have to explain to you why that’s a bad analogy.

• Downvote 3

44 minutes ago, the_convergence_zone said:

Too early to worry about wildfire smoke IMO. The smoke from last year's Canadian fires didn't bother us much. The sources were too far NE of us. 

Not much point in worrying about it, can’t do much at this point.  Current indicators show BC is in a bad place heading into fire season, but a wet june could always swing things in a more positive direction.  Last years drought compounded by the March 1st snowpack being the 2nd lowest in BC in the past 50 years, are obviously bad signs.  And if we use the 2010 season analog that has been brought up, 2010 was an active fire season in BC, worst in 12 years I believe.  

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Anti Marine Layer said:

Sounds nearly perfect for your preferences

I’d take this all next week at the coast. Still thinking Wed-Fri might produce some decently dry patches 

• Like 1

Portland | Raleigh Hills/West Sylvan | 350’

”All models are wrong, some are useful.”

-G. Box

25 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I don’t really think we’ll get anywhere if I have to explain to you why that’s a bad analogy.

So why exactly does that give you the right to insult me? I guess you proved my point about you not being able to have a level headed discussion.

But yet I'm the dumb one......

• Weenie 1

19 minutes ago, the_convergence_zone said:

Too early to worry about wildfire smoke IMO. The smoke from last year's Canadian fires didn't bother us much. The sources were too far NE of us. 

How neighbourly of you to be so dismissive.  Folks who have family and/or property in the area of concern are probably worried, and rightly so.  I think @ShawniganLake checks both of those boxes, but f*ck him, he's just a Canadian right?   He's too far north to count.

The situation he is describing is still not good for the region as a whole, where we usually count on winter snow/moisture to snuff out summer wildfires.  This year, that did not happen up there.  What does that say about the vegetation up in that area that has not yet burned? 

Unfortunately the Border Patrol failed to stop the crappy snow pack conditions at the border.  It's pretty bad up here in the North Cascades of Washington too, and while I haven't look at data lately, my telltale on the snowpack conditions (parking/carpool area for the ski area is about 200 yds from my house) shows that it is an absolute dumpster fire up there, especially after this past weekend.  I can count on 1 hand the number of days the parking area was absolutely packed. 

Where I live, which is on the edge of the urban expansion for my little corner of Bellingham, I've never been concerned about fire.  This year, I'm starting to get a little concerned especially with how dry it has been. 

• Like 2
  • Popcorn 1

13 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

What part of the coast are you heading to?

North - staying in Manzanita but day tripping around too. Looking forward to beach runs with the pup 👏🏻 Cool little microclimate too 

North Coast “Banana Belt”

• Excited 2

Portland | Raleigh Hills/West Sylvan | 350’

”All models are wrong, some are useful.”

-G. Box

39 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

How neighbourly of you to be so dismissive.  Folks who have family and/or property in the area of concern are probably worried, and rightly so.  I think @ShawniganLake checks both of those boxes, but f*ck him, he's just a Canadian right?   He's too far north to count.

The situation he is describing is still not good for the region as a whole, where we usually count on winter snow/moisture to snuff out summer wildfires.  This year, that did not happen up there.  What does that say about the vegetation up in that area that has not yet burned? 

Unfortunately the Border Patrol failed to stop the crappy snow pack conditions at the border.  It's pretty bad up here in the North Cascades of Washington too, and while I haven't look at data lately, my telltale on the snowpack conditions (parking/carpool area for the ski area is about 200 yds from my house) shows that it is an absolute dumpster fire up there, especially after this past weekend.  I can count on 1 hand the number of days the parking area was absolutely packed. 

Where I live, which is on the edge of the urban expansion for my little corner of Bellingham, I've never been concerned about fire.  This year, I'm starting to get a little concerned especially with how dry it has been. 

I don't want to rehash an earlier conversation but I agree that the dice are loaded against us right now, but there is plenty that can happen between now and July that could reduce wildfire danger or set the stage for a below average wildfire year. 

If you have property in a wildfire danger area, you should probably be concerned about every single year going forward.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

Huge increase in mountain snowfall this weekend on the 18z GFS. Shows over 2 feet for Snoqualmie and Stevens just through Sunday night.

trend-gfs-2024032018-f108.sn10_acc-imp.us_state_wa.gif

• Like 6