May 2024 Pacific Northwest Weather

23 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

That Honestly feels like a pretty reasonable forecast.  With the heat focussed to our east we would likely see a little more marine influence than some of our recent summers.  

Yeah, a slightly warmer version of the summers seen 2010-12 doesn't seem out of the question.

• lol 1

A forum for the end of the world.

19 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Great question... I need a PNW climate guru like @BLI snowman to answer that.

In terms of sensible weather analogs in the region, 1988 is about as good of a match as you could get since mid March.

Even with a couple of big spikes, 1988 would be an extremely tolerable summer by today's standards. Although I could do without the gross October.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, BLI snowman said:

In terms of sensible weather analogs in the region, 1988 is about as good of a match as you could get since mid March.

Even with a couple of big spikes, 1988 would be an extremely tolerable summer by today's standards. Although I could do without the gross October.

Also a summer that was brutal in the middle of the country.   That was the hottest summer I can remember growing up in Minnesota... lawns were burnt brown by early June and lake levels were really low by the middle of summer.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Also a summer that was brutal in the middle of the country.   That was the hottest summer I can remember growing up in Minnesota... lawns were burnt brown by early June and lake levels were really low by the middle of summer.

Yeah, that was the year that AGW really took off in the news media and that summer and the big drought was a big reason why. The Yellowstone fires also happened that year.

I do think a similar setup is likely this year, with the heat dome centered to our east and occasionally nudging into our backyard. Probably going to be some pretty nasty numbers in places back east that were mostly spared the last few years.

Edited by BLI snowman
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Is 1988 the 4th of July I spent under a blue tarp with a coat on at the family lake house? 

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

1 hour ago, Meatyorologist said:

When was the last year we had a troughing pattern ensue so late? It started in late April this year. Even as recently as last year I never would have guessed.

2022? It was a very slow start to summer. I think we waited until mid July.

• Confused 1
  • Facepalm 2

3 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Is 1988 the 4th of July I spent under a blue tarp with a coat on at the family lake house? 

Possibly... 67/51 day at SEA on 7/4/88.     The best part of that summer started on 7/6 which is basically the running joke about summer in Seattle.  😀

• Excited 1
  • scream 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, westcoastexpat said:

The warm/dry season started on 6/20 in 2022.  

@Meatyorologist was referring to the last spring when troughing waited until late April to start.  

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Yeah, a slightly warmer version of the summers seen 2010-12 doesn't seem out of the question.

I think next summer will be the one.  Could be pretty cool.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

4 minutes ago, westcoastexpat said:

And then it got with the program.  That seems to be the story recently.  Whenever summer gets going it digs in hard.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Mexico - Gulf Coast death ridge preparing to make its move. It will take no prisoners.

• Death Ridge 4
foto26446a4f1f801ef3b3d1564dea31df66.png
"Western troughing literally kills people at this time of year. And in the most gruesome of ways."

Looks like we got all of our rain in about a 10 minute burst here today.  Nice when it does it like that.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, Phil said:

Mexico - Gulf Coast death ridge preparing to make its move.

That Central America heatwave does seem a bit ominous.  Could be a harbinger of things to come for much of the CONUS.  Pretty impressive how we have the big South America cold wave, then the big Central America heatwave, and then a big cool period north of that in the Western US right now.  Very compartmentalized.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Looks like we got all of our rain in about a 10 minute burst here today.  Nice when it does it like that.

Tomorrow will likely be wetter for us with a southward migrating c-zone.

Getting very dark here. Could see some T-Storms later. So far much cooler than yesterday. 70F outside compared to our high of 77F. My wife is getting her pressure headaches that seem to happen when the pressure changes or if the air is unstable, so I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some flashes.

• Storm 1

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2024-2025 Snowfall totals:

HIghest snow total (per event): 

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 

First Freeze: TBD

Last Sub freezing Day: 

Coldest low:

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

3 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

12Z ECMWF backed down a little on rainfall totals early next week but still wet on Sunday and Monday.   

Also builds the ridge in faster than the its 00Z run... always a good sign when timing moves up.    And its significantly stronger with the ridge later next week.    Nice run.  

Heat looking more likely 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Death Ridge 2

10 minutes ago, westcoastexpat said:

One of my favorites though. Reduced fire risk in my area big time.

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2024-2025 Snowfall totals:

HIghest snow total (per event): 

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 

First Freeze: TBD

Last Sub freezing Day: 

Coldest low:

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

18 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Yeah, that was the year that AGW really took off in the news media and that summer and the big drought was a big reason why. The Yellowstone fires also happened that year.

I do think a similar setup is likely this year, with the heat dome centered to our east and occasionally nudging into our backyard. Probably going to be some pretty nasty numbers in places back east that were mostly spared the last few years.

Interesting that 1988 also had 4 dry preceding years in the July-August period, albeit less extreme than our current streak. image.thumb.png.69fa5de9858ebfdec66814e82bbd02e8.png

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

That Central America heatwave does seem a bit ominous.  Could be a harbinger of things to come for much of the CONUS.  Pretty impressive how we have the big South America cold wave, then the big Central America heatwave, and then a big cool period north of that in the Western US right now.  Very compartmentalized.

https://www.businessinsider.com/mexico-city-water-crisis-day-zero-drought-rain-2024-5?amp

Ouch. Let’s hope Mexico’s tropical wet season / “monsoon” delivers this year.

• Excited 1

4 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I haven’t heard anything about the South American cold wave 

• Weenie 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

5 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Probably, that was a pretty beastly trough at the beginning of July. 

Uggghhh.

compday.UF7ckXHtg4.gif

• Like 2
  • scream 1
  • Weenie 1
  • Shivering 1
  • Death Ridge 1

5 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Tomorrow will likely be wetter for us with a southward migrating c-zone.

Yup.  Things finally look decent later in the week.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

5 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I haven’t heard anything about the South American cold wave 

The south half of the continent has been very cold.  They say the coldest May since 1950 in Chile and Argentina.

• Excited 1
  • scream 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The weather has been absolutely brutal at Denali since I left, been very cold windy and snowy, I've read that a few people have gotten severe frostbite. Sill no good summit weather on the forecast, very glad we decided to summit on the 20th because otherwise we would've never had another chance to summit.

• Like 2

I live on the snowiest populated hill in oregon! My name Is sunriver snow zone because I always have the most snow out of anywhere in the town, favorable location.

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated April 29th) 93"!!

When you convert this to degrees F it's almost equal to how cold the NW was in November 1985.  It can still happen!

Composite Plot

• Like 6
  • scream 1
  • Death Ridge 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

The weather has been absolutely brutal at Denali since I left, been very cold windy and snowy, I've read that a few people have gotten severe frostbite. Sill no good summit weather on the forecast, very glad we decided to summit on the 20th because otherwise we would've never had another chance to summit.

Sounds like you had an amazing adventure!

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

36 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

And we've never heard the end of it since.  I'm still not totally buying it.  Why did we have a period of global cooling in the 1960s and early 70s?  We had tons of CO2 being pumped into the air then as well, and well before that also.  There's more to all of this than people realize.  

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Weenie 1
  • Facepalm 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, RentonHill said:

At Seatac, 1988 still holds record high max temps for days in June, July, August, and September.

June: 6/14 (88)

July: 7/25 (94)

August: 8/23 (91)

September: 9/2 (98!), 9/3 (92) chart(11).thumb.jpeg.db0c043710843d5182bf6b25d6da6e70.jpegots of heat spikes...but it always reverted back to 

This year has shown some signs of that to this point at least.  I'll never forget the mega blast that winter.  Besides that we had the big March snow event, and a good C-Zone snow in January, and other snows in Jan as well.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

44 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Yeah, the last summer where the East really torched across the board was 2016. They're due. Last brutal one for the middle 2/3 of the country was 2012. 

Something along those veins, perhaps with some 1988 thrown in, seems like a good guess.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RentonHill said:

At Seatac, 1988 still holds record high max temps for days in June, July, August, and September.

June: 6/14 (88)

July: 7/25 (94)

August: 8/23 (91)

September: 9/2 (98!), 9/3 (92) chart(11).thumb.jpeg.db0c043710843d5182bf6b25d6da6e70.jpeg

I'm seeing a record of only 86 on 6/14. Talk about low hanging fruit. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Slushy Inch said:

Cascades are going to get some snow in June! I know not that rare.image.thumb.png.5a708520fd5093c9d704a09f9e941801.png

Ehhhh... maybe the highest peaks.

Here is the ECMWF 2-day snowfall for the trough early next week.   Not much! 

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-snow_48hr-7524000.png

7 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I guess I would have known if I had weatherbell year round. I will say 18z gfs has a cooler/deeper trough this run, maybe   Euro will follow.

8 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Stehekin is almost in the 1st shade of grey! 

• Excited 1
  • Snow 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth!