1/24 - 1/26 Clipper Train, and Arctic Frontal Passage

Tom

Updated 06z dicussion from LOT (this is for Sunday)....

When any weather office mentions one-inch-per-hour rates, it's sweet to read. When they also mention that it could be like that for 3-5 hours, that's exciting.

...The Artist Formerly Known as RJSnowLover...

anyone else around here getting any rain/sleet mix? i have to go out and check but it seems like it from my windows.

I noticed water droplets on my windows, but I think it is just from the snow melting on the glass. Haven't seen that in awhile! 

Pushing 29° here.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Northern IN:

SHORT DURATION WILL CERTAINLY LIMIT
ACCUMULATIONS BUT MODERATE FORCING AND SUFFICIENT MOISTURE SHOULD
STILL RESULT IN A WIDESPREAD AREA OF 2-4 INCHES. LOCALIZED AMOUNTS
OF 3-6 INCHES WILL BE POSSIBLE IF POTENTIAL INSTABILITY IS REALIZED
AND MORE INTENSE MESOBANDS DEVELOP BUT EXACT LOCATION OF THESE BANDS
IS IMPOSSIBLE TO NAIL DOWN THIS FAR OUT...ESPECIALLY CONSIDERING
PARENT WAVE IS STILL IN THE DATA SPARSE POLAR REGION.

It is hard to tell how much I got in NW Rockford because of intense drifting moving everything. However averaging 10 wide spaced measuments in a relatively quiet area gives me a smidge over 3/4 of an inch. Kinda a bust here. Looking forward to the next one tonight.

Signature here.

SREF mean 4.5 at ORD with amounts ranging from 3-7 inches. Looking at the 06Z and 12Z NAM we could be looking at an inch per hour for many hours. It should be a fun event regardless of  how much snow we get. East Dubzz and gosaints you guys look to be sitting good with this one as well.

SREF mean 4.5 at ORD with amounts ranging from 3-7 inches. Looking at the 06Z and 12Z NAM we could be looking at an inch per hour for many hours. It should be a fun event regardless of how much snow we get. East Dubzz and gosaints you guys look to be sitting good with this one as well.

Ya best qpf just south of here but should be good ratios and the wind should be fun

SREF mean 4.5 at ORD with amounts ranging from 3-7 inches. Looking at the 06Z and 12Z NAM we could be looking at an inch per hour for many hours. It should be a fun event regardless of how much snow we get. East Dubzz and gosaints you guys look to be sitting good with this one as well.

Does look good right now, but you can never be for sure with these clippers..

Picked up 1.3" last night. Then a little freezing drizzle fell, which creating a cap on the snow. Blowing and drifting isn't really occurring because of it.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

18Z NAM looks good for 4-5 inches for most of the Chicago area with isolated 6 inch amounts favoring the southern CWA. Should be a fun event and rates will be very impressive. Definitely going to be something that is worth waking up early tomorrow to see.