Season's First Potential Wintry Storm and Arctic Outbreak

Tom

Regarding the GFS parallel, I am pretty sure it's just an error on the map. If you look at the 540 thickness it's plenty of cold enough for snow where it show it raining. The accumulation map looks pretty right on though from where the rain/snow should be.

that and no other model is showing precip issues, that i know of.

Regarding the GFS parallel, I am pretty sure it's just an error on the map. If you look at the 540 thickness it's plenty of cold enough for snow where it show it raining. The accumulation map looks pretty right on though from where the rain/snow should be.

Yup, the 540 thickness line is well south of the heaviest precipitation. There is clearly something wrong with the algorithm.

• Like 1

The baroclinic zone with this system is going to be pretty sharp. Kind of surprised at the NAM.

One thing about this system, I don't think it's going to hook really. Track should be fairly west to east.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Hey Guys, doesn't it seem like we are missing something here at the forum???  It's been about 4 months since Dominic Rocco passed away and its def going to feel a little different this year without him.  That guy used to stay up till 4:00 or 5:00am watching the GFS/NAM come in.  He sure was dedicated and loved tracking snow storms.   I'm sure he'll be watching down on us and hoping everyone gets their fair share of snow this season.  Miss you Dominic!

• Like 5

Hey Guys, doesn't it seem like we are missing something here at the forum???  It's been about 4 months since Dominic Rocco passed away and its def going to feel a little different this year without him.  That guy used to stay up till 4:00 or 5:00am watching the GFS/NAM come in.  He sure was dedicated and loved tracking snow storms.   I'm sure he'll be watching down on us and hoping everyone gets their fair share of snow this season.  Miss you Dominic!

I was completely unaware that he passed away!  I did notice his absence though.  That is so sad :(  What happened to him and when?

Yes it is a bit different around here without Dominic! Whenever there was significant snow system approaching he would catch every model run it seemed! He'd post in the middle of the night and then be up in time for the 12z runs! I don't know where he mustered that energy - especially doing that several days in a row.

• Like 3

Mercer Island, 350 ft

Dominick passed away on July 31st.  I don't know exactly what the reason was for his death but I suspect it was health related.  I chatted with him on FB often and towards the end of Winter/early Spring he was rarely online.  He had mentioned briefly to me around April or so that he was at the hospital often and was real sick but never told me what was happening.  Dominic was a great poster, always excited and pumped when winter season hit.  Last year he raved about how he would never forget that epic 2013-14 season.  At least he enjoyed one of the most memorable winters in Chicago's history before he left us.  Now, I hope he shines down on us and can deliver a repeat!  RIP Dominic!

• Like 1

We are in really good shape imo. The arctic air should keep it so it doesn't cut too much. 

Yup, S/C WI is in a sweet spot for this one, so is N IA....looks like the snow comes in early afternoon and lasts through the night.  Rush hour is going to be a mess esp with the first snowstorm of the season.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfsp/2014110700/gfsp_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_13.png

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfsp/2014110700/gfsp_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_14.png

This run is looking different for sure, check out the placement of the ULL near Ontario, its farther west and now the system digs farther south....hmmm, starting to see the corrections....we'll see how the rest of the 00z runs go.

It doesn't look great for us down in the Iowa city/Cedar Rapids area. But I'm very used to being just a bit too far south. It's amazing how consistently storms track just a bit north of here. Gfs gives me an inch or two, which for November is actually not bad

• Like 1

This run is looking different for sure, check out the placement of the ULL near Ontario, its farther west and now the system digs farther south....hmmm, starting to see the corrections....we'll see how the rest of the 00z runs go.

Good points brought up here. GFS has a bias to be too progressive at times, in addition to being too slow with Arctic fronts. Will it happen and correct south? Who knows, but something to ponder for now.

• Like 2

I could live with the last few OP GFS run. Looks like about 2" here on this run.

ULL is a bit west for sure on this run. Looking at the track itself, it resembles a Clipper on steroids! lol

Mercer Island, 350 ft