December 2014 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Check out what the CFSv2 is showing down the road.  It has the cold centered in the central CONUS with pronounced ridging along the east coast.  This would create an active storm track from the Plains to the Lakes.  Doesn't this look familiar???  Sure does...just look back what happened in November.  The LRC is def cycling through the pattern.

It wasn't an active November Tom. It was cold but not active.

Last1mPNormUS.png

November was more active than this month has! By a long shot too. The pattern was never stagnant in November, although it was drier than normal. The LES belts had the best of both worlds, cold and snowy.

• Like 2

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

What I'm noticing is that the ULL is a lot more displaced on the GFS than the Euro. So even a track through far southern Illinois into Northern Kentucky brings the heaviest precip in the cold sector well North. I would probably favor the Euro solution right now, but it's not like the ensemble support was fantastic or anything either. There is a lot to sort out and we will get a better picture once this current system is out of the way.

Well let's see what the GGEM says. I think if the baroclinic zone was stronger, you'd see a stronger system with at least some phasing present.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

It wasn't an active November Tom. It was cold but not active.

Your neck of the woods was just cold, but parts of the Plains to the Lakes had their share of storminess.  Those CFSv2 maps look very similar to how the cold outbreaks hit back in November.  That's primarily the point I wanted to make anyway.

What I'm noticing is that the ULL is a lot more displaced on the GFS than the Euro. So even a track through far southern Illinois into Northern Kentucky brings the heaviest precip in the cold sector well North. I would probably favor the Euro solution right now, but it's not like the ensemble support was fantastic or anything either. There is a lot to sort out and we will get a better picture once this current system is out of the way.

The GFS is also farther north this run with the SLP cutting through New Mexico and NOT Mexico like the Euro is showing.  Euro has a tendency to dig systems to far south like this.  It's hard not to discount the Euro during this time frame because it usually does pretty good.  If this shifts the energy farther north in the 4 corners from previous runs, then it'll change the game.

• Like 1

Well let's see what the GGEM says. I think if the baroclinic zone was stronger, you'd see a stronger system with at least some phasing present.

Yup, I don't think models have a good handle of that either. Look at the current storm that is the traversing the region as we speak. It looked like that storm system would track well to the south, but the models had more of a phase as we got closer. I'm not saying it's going to happen with this storm, but I don't see why it's not possible.

The GFS continues to have runs here and there where it really tries to get this system going on the 19th/20th but can't fully do it. The wave most of the time is an open wave and it's moving quicker. A few runs for a few frames try to close it off at 500mb but it just gets too strung out and can't intensify like we want it to. 

The strong WAA via the LLJ in the WCB early on over the plains will be plenty enough to generate a good slug of precip up and over the front to get some snow it looks like in KS/MO as the GFS shows but maintaining any sort of organization as it moves ENE might be tough as the wave just looks to flat with no intensification signals right now. 

Several Euro ensemble members were amped up and NW of the op and the ensemble mean so we'll see. 

The GFS continues to have runs here and there where it really tries to get this system going on the 19th/20th but can't fully do it. The wave most of the time is an open wave and it's moving quicker. A few runs for a few frames try to close it off at 500mb but it just gets too strung out and can't intensify like we want it to. 

The strong WAA via the LLJ in the WCB early on over the plains will be plenty enough to generate a good slug of precip up and over the front to get some snow it looks like in KS/MO as the GFS shows but maintaining any sort of organization as it moves ENE might be tough as the wave just looks to flat with no intensification signals right now. 

Several Euro ensemble members were amped up and NW of the op and the ensemble mean so we'll see.

Yeah, unfortunate that this thing can't develop as much as we all want it to. Just glancing at 500mb vort maps, watching it essentially glide along the country's midsection... Probably won't see too much more than the 3-5" swath that's been showing up.

Whether or not it will actually matter remains to be seen, but perhaps the GFS is being too progressive with the pattern here. NCEP has highlighted this as a bias, among other issues. I'm not holding my breath, but maybe we see a bit more from this system in coming runs.

Looks like Lot is keeping the Friday and Saturday system as an option

THE GFS CONTINUES TO BRING A SWATH OF LIGHT PRECIP
ACROSS THE REGION FRIDAY NIGHT INTO EARLY SATURDAY AND NOW THE
ECMWF HAS TRENDED A BIT FURTHER NORTH...BUT NOT UNTIL SATURDAY AND
SATURDAY NIGHT AND MAINTAINED LOW CHANCE POPS DURING THIS TIME.

12z runs not showing much to get excited about

12z Euro looking much different for the Christmas Eve storm now.  Instead of holidng back the energy in the 4 corners and diving it into N Mexico, it comes out quicker and tries to phase something along the Appalachians.  Baby steps I guess.

I've also noticed the GFS(from time to time) and EURO trying to develop a big system on Christmas Day or just thereafter coming out of the Rockies when there will be plenty cold air around from the Plains and points East.  This system also has some potential to be noteworthy.  Fun times ahead.

• Like 1