Super Bowl Weekend Major Snowstorm

Tom

Did I tell you how much I love this Blizzard during the Day & on a Weekend???  Just finished taking a stroll around the neighborhood walking from block to block soaking it all in.  The Joy a winter storm of this magnitude can give to a snow lover!  I gotta say, after speaking with my fellow neighbors and also random ppl snow blowing their driveways...all of them seem to be enjoying this storm.

Consistent visibility of 1/2 mile or less.  I tried taking some pictures of the whiteouts when they would rip on through.  Took a pick of yours truly.  The pictures don't show the reality of how bad the whiteouts get at times.

3.75" in the past 3.25 hours (prob a little less)....total snowfall close to 12.5" (probably close to 12" due to drifting).  Compacted snow depth 11.0".

• Like 1

Man this is nuts. Skilling's RPM at 2:20 showed another 8.8" for most areas lol! I don't think they will be that high but another 3-6" is a safe bet! I got to be pushing 13" now it would be crazy to hit 20"! Blowing snow has made it impossible to measure, visibility is dropping fast. 

Take a look at this radar and you could clearly see the Lehs hitting Lake/SE Kenosha county.  Notice the system snow going from west to east, while the band over the lake heading westward towards the shore.  What is even more intriguing, guess where that warmer water is????  Bingo!

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=LOT-N0Q-1-24

• Like 1

Going to attempt another measurement. Flakes should stay as dendrites now. Colder air is wrapping in.

21° and the lake is around 40°...

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Geo's, I think that is why in your photos you can pick out the bigger flake sizes unlike the pixie size flakes over here in N Cook.  At times I saw some medium sized flakes mixing in but until winds turn more NNE is when I think this Lehs will start to fill in over Cook.

Take a look at the current wind profiles:

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=-90.76,40.66,3000

I think it will be another hour or two before winds will veer a bit more northerly.  Once the SLP heads towards N IN I'm thinking.

Just getting to Cleveland. Warmer here, roads are very clean Passed about 20 spinouts and accidents so far, only 1 serious one thankfully. Northern Indiana was absolutely the worst.

Now hearing Rochester (where I'm headed) will end up with 15".

• Like 2

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

Picked up an additional 2" today pushing totals in the 9-10" range. What an awesome storm; I feel bad for those who didn't cash in on this storm but hopefully next time around on the LRC we all can get nailed. This storm wasn't quiet the blizzard of 2009 for my area but for sure was a nice surprise. My school has been called off for tomorrow, which actually kind of sucks because we have a b-ball game Tuesday, but it gives me time to watch film! Enjoy everybody and I plan on going around to the hot spots w/ drifts and get more pictures. These are from my neighborhood. NOTICE THE YARD STICK IN THE SNOWDRIFT!! 

2:1:15-6.jpg

2:1:15-5.jpg

2:1:15-4.jpg

2:1:15-3.jpg

2:1:15-2.jpg

2:1:15-1.jpg

• Like 2

Huge fat flakes rippin' right now....biggest flakes thus far.  Check out the image below:

http://climate.cod.edu/data/nexrad/LOT/N0Q/LOT.N0Q.20150201.2131.gif

Lake Michigan is pouring moisture back into Cook/Lake/DuPage/McHenry and even northern portions of Will county.  Another 6-8 hours of this boys!

The band over northern cook must be insane off the lake!

I"m sitting right underneath that band...about to go out and take some photos.  Will post them after I'm done shoveling.  It's a thing of beauty out there right now.  During the GHD 2011 storm there wasn't nearly as big of flakes as there is right now.  I really think that warm pool of water is working its magic right now.

We're actually still getting a nice snowfall right now. I thought it was all done with as the sun briefly made an attempt to come out this afternoon. Right now there are some big flakes coming down again. Definitely not a heavy snowfall, but it's down to 14 degrees and this will fluff up easily. I measured 9" in the driveway before I had to shovel it. Doubt we'll make 10" but we'll see!

Just looked at the radar for us and there is a small circular blob of heavy returns that moved in from the north and really developed right over me. Nice little surprise!

Nothing compared to the returns over Chicago right now, holy cow!

• Like 1