March 2015 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Snow??? How bout no, scott?? Gah. I'll most definitely take it though. Was laying out with my roommate (she's hot, needed an excuse to see her in a bikini  ;) ) and our yard is cracking already, and it's only March. The grass seems like a wick, if I were to light it it'd go up in flames. We REALLY need some moisture around here, but man these temperatures are amazing. It was 70 degrees by noon and we're already approaching 80.

I remember discussing with Tom last year about how effective snow actually is with drought relief in the spring, as it kind of just sits on top of the ground and provides moisture by slowly absorbing into the turf. I hate to say it, but give me a snowstorm. We cannot go into another drought. I'd freak. Droughts are horrid and we've had way too many of them recently, so that's the last thing on my want list. Hopefully we can get moisture, I hope these maps pan out. 

Last thing, Tom, I went up 12 lbs since doing your leg workout, and also increased my squat by 100 lbs since the summer. Thanks again for the workout plan bro!

Nice man!  Glad that routine was able to produce some GAINS!  I tacked on about 10lbs since last year and changed up a few things.  In about a month, it's going to be shredding season with boating/beaches/babes around the corner!

Speaking of Spring Snow, it certainly helps saturate the ground but also provides nutrients for the grass and soil.  It would be nice to see a classic Spring storm develop next week.

Gotta run now, its round #2 for legs this week and I have a sweet quad routine that I need to pound away.  Adios! 

• Like 1

I sure hope the long-range forecast for cold and snowy after the 20th is spot on.  I've delayed a trip up to the UP of MI to get in some late season cross-country skiing.  Would rather see temps in the 20's and 30's and a fresh couple of inches of snow than 50 degrees and slop.  Wouldn't even be surprised to see some lake effect snows fire up again.  Seems like the ice on the lakes has broken up a bit since late February/early March.  Winter's reprise - I say, bring it on!

Nice man!  Glad that routine was able to produce some GAINS!  I tacked on about 10lbs since last year and changed up a few things.  In about a month, it's going to be shredding season with boating/beach/babes around the corner!

Speaking of Spring Snow, it certainly helps saturate the ground but also provides nutrients for the grass and soil.  It would be nice to see a classic Spring storm develop next week.

Gotta run now, its round #2 for legs this week and I have a sweet quad routine that I need to pound away.  Adios! 

In class right now, but right when I'm out I'll be there doing legs! :) Dead Lifts/Squats FTW!

• Like 1

We're fine here in eastern Nebraska. We had over 15" of rain in a lot of areas in Aug-October. Sure we haven't had jack for snowfall for the most part this winter, but we did have over an 1" of rainfall in December and the average precip in the winter here is very low, plus you of course have the colder temps and low sun angle and that moisture isn't going anywhere too fast. Too me a red flag warning isn't a sure sign of drought either, all it takes is some drier grassland plants, low humidity, and some wind and the danger is there. You could still have plenty of deeper soil moisture. If you read the spring flood outlook they make mention of the deeper soil moisture.

I know areas further west of here have been drier than us though.

Statement from 3/5 outlook:

Soil Moisture: Across the area soil moistures remain elevated due
to the heavy rains from last summer and early fall. This is
especially true along the south of the Platte River in Nebraska and
along and south of Interstate 80 in Iowa. These areas will be the
most susceptible to flooding this spring if persistent rains occur.

Not so warm today. Only 44° so far today I believe. Sunny though.

I'm sure it will snow again for a lot of us. Winter usually doesn't give up this early!

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Niko you dont have to worry about that this year Euro closing today around 1.08.....so on 1000 dollars you get back around 990.!!!

Awesome!!! Now, that's more like it. Too bad it wont last. I heard that Draxmi might come back to Greece. Lets hope so. Greece needs to get out of the Eurozone.

BTW...My snowcover has taken a serious beating. Patchy snow on corners and on grassy surfaces have remained.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

We're fine here in eastern Nebraska. We had over 15" of rain in a lot of areas in Aug-October. Sure we haven't had jack for snowfall for the most part this winter, but we did have over an 1" of rainfall in December and the average precip in the winter here is very low, plus you of course have the colder temps and low sun angle and that moisture isn't going anywhere too fast. Too me a red flag warning isn't a sure sign of drought either, all it takes is some drier grassland plants, low humidity, and some wind and the danger is there. You could still have plenty of deeper soil moisture. If you read the spring flood outlook they make mention of the deeper soil moisture.

I know areas further west of here have been drier than us though.

Statement from 3/5 outlook:

Soil Moisture: Across the area soil moistures remain elevated due

to the heavy rains from last summer and early fall. This is

especially true along the south of the Platte River in Nebraska and

along and south of Interstate 80 in Iowa. These areas will be the

most susceptible to flooding this spring if persistent rains occur.

Yep this is very true.  Soil moisture is plenty high.  People seem to forget just how wet the past 10 months have been in most of Central/Eastern Nebraska.  If you go outside and put your finger down in the soil you can feel just how moist it is.  As long as the summer isn't hot and dry we should be fine.

Snow??? How bout no, scott?? Gah. I'll most definitely take it though. Was laying out with my roommate (she's hot, needed an excuse to see her in a bikini  ;) ) and our yard is cracking already, and it's only March. The grass seems like a wick, if I were to light it it'd go up in flames. We REALLY need some moisture around here, but man these temperatures are amazing. It was 70 degrees by noon and we're already approaching 80.

I remember discussing with Tom last year about how effective snow actually is with drought relief in the spring, as it kind of just sits on top of the ground and provides moisture by slowly absorbing into the turf. I hate to say it, but give me a snowstorm. We cannot go into another drought. I'd freak. Droughts are horrid and we've had way too many of them recently, so that's the last thing on my want list. Hopefully we can get moisture, I hope these maps pan out. 

Also, Tom, I went up 12 lbs since doing your leg workout, and also increased my squat by 100 lbs since the summer. Thanks again for the workout plan bro!

Lastly, check out the destruction the drought from 2012-2014 resulted in. Can't imagine what the farmers are thinking with red flag warnings issued already. This is a National problem guys, not just for us in Nebraska. Something to keep an eye on as prices of beef, corn, wheat, will skyrocket if we don't get some precipitation around here soon:

Financial assistance provided to livestock producers under LFP in Nebraska has been substantial due to the retroactive authority of the programs. As of January 6, 2015 payments made for qualifying LFP losses from October 1, 2011 to December 31, 2014 have totaled over $532.5 million (Table 1 http://go.unl.edu/pgrp). The largest payments made to Nebraska livestock producers occurred in 2012 with an accumulated total of almost $269.0 million for the year. Assistance provided during periods of the drought under the LFP make payments equal to 60 percent of the monthly feed cost for up to five months.

Here is the link to the full article if anyone is interested -  http://www.cattlenetwork.com/news/industry/livestock-forage-disaster-program-and-estimated-drought-losses-nebraska-2012-2014 

That's great, haha. I'll actually be in Lincoln March 20th! 

Models are sweeping the front through earlier on Monday(morning).  If that's right, 70s would be out, but with a mild start it'll still be a pleasant day.  The 00z GFS has one day in the 40s post-fropa, but then more 50s through at least day ten.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Was looking like the warmest day of the year so far, but clouds and now a lake breeze are threatening that forecast.

In the upper 30s currently along the lake vs. low 50s inland.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

The 12z GFS has gone a little colder next week and solidly colder next weekend.  It's nothing terrible, but it's definitely pulling a couple pockets of cold air down farther west compared to the previous couple days of runs.

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Was looking like the warmest day of the year so far, but clouds and now a lake breeze are threatening that forecast.

In the upper 30s currently along the lake vs. low 50s inland.

What clouds and lake breeze? Completely sunny here with no lake breeze in sight. Today is a lock for all areas to be well into the 60s except for the immediate shoreline and southern counties maybe.

What clouds and lake breeze? Completely sunny here with no lake breeze in sight. Today is a lock for all areas to be well into the 60s except for the immediate shoreline and southern counties maybe.

I'm in Racine now. Should have mentioned that. It was mostly cloudy until like 11am. Lot cooler here right now.

22° spread in temperatures across the city right now.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

Sounds like DMX is buying into the EURO---

A STRONGER SYSTEM WILL IMPACT THE UPPER MIDWEST
TOWARDS NEXT FRIDAY. THIS SYSTEM WILL BRING A QUICK PUSH OF MUCH
COLDER AIR BUT ALSO MAY HAVE ENOUGH INSTABILITY FOR CONVECTIVE
ELEMENTS TO DEVELOP FOLLOWED BY STRONG WINDS WITH FROPA.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

68 today amazing Spring has arrived. What's this chatter about Snow. Next weekend? Hard to believe after this lovely weather the last week.

I'd believe anything.  Last week, on Friday morning, we had temps below zero.  And now today, it was in the the low 60's in SE WI.  That's nearly a 70 degree swing in one week.  Wow!

The highest hourly report from Cedar Rapids this afternoon was 68, but apparently intra hour it briefly hit 70 for the first time.

Cold in the extended looking like its becoming more and more muted

The Euro did a major reversal late week, switching from 30s and snow on Friday to 50s.  It would be nice if the Euro's big, wet day 9-10 storm would pan out.  The upper midwest needs a nice soaker.

The Euro also slowed down the Monday front til evening, so it should be very warm.

The Euro did a major reversal late week, switching from 30s and snow on Friday to 50s.  It would be nice if the Euro's big, wet day 9-10 storm would pan out.  The upper midwest needs a nice soaker.

The Euro also slowed down the Monday front til evening, so it should be very warm.

This.  It doesn't even matter to me whether it's snow, stratiform rain or thunderstorms, we just need precip in many areas of the Midwest.

Isn't the big Superbowl storm part of the LRC supposed to be cycling through in the next couple of days? Doesn't look like this time through is going to amount to anything....

I believe I read somewhere the the current LRC is around 47 days.  That would put us out to next weekend.  Hopefully it amounts to something.  We could use the moisture here in the upper Midwest.

Made it all the way to 63° at home yesterday and today is about as nice - 56° currently with no clouds that I can see.

Still some patches of dense snow and ice in shady areas, but pretty much snow free now.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

wow bring on the heat!! highs possibly mid to upper 80s tomorrow and 80 today.

MODEL OUTPUT SHOWS HIGHS SOME 5 TO 10
DEGREES WARMER MONDAY THAN SUNDAY...WHICH WOULD SUGGEST HIGHS COULD
REACH THE MID 80S OR HIGHER ACROSS A GOOD PART OF THE CWA. AND
MIXING DOWN TEMPERATURES FROM 850-900MB LAYER SUGGESTS HIGHS COULD
REACH THE MID AND UPPER 80S IN SOME AREAS.