March 2015 PNW Discussion

stuffradio

Richard, if all you're going to is harangue me, please stop replying to my posts, or PM me. It really detracts from any potential discussion.

Thank you.

Well isn't this immature.

I have never seen insult you, I however do see him encouraging you to explain yourself better and to encourage you to stop talking about your weather in a PNW thread repeatedly.

I don't know why you're infatuated with Richard, or why you think I talk about my wx here (I rarely do, only once in the last 23 days), but if you can't see the rudeness in his replies to me, whether intentional or not, I don't know what else to say.

I'm going to take my own advice here and try not to derail the thread. I'm just a bit peeved.

• Like 2

I don't know why you're infatuated with Richard, or why you think I talk about my wx here (I rarely do), but if you can't see the rudeness in his replies to me, whether intentional or not, I don't know what else to say.

I'm going to take my own advice here and try not to derail the thread. I'm just a bit peeved.

It is a forum, on the internet, no reason to let things on here piss you off, ever.  It is not like it will make your day worse, at least it shouldn't

Beautiful day here today, high of 63.  Perfect night for a fire setting up.

On that note..let's talk about tropical forcing.

If this can't amplify the RWT enough to force a wave-2 PV response, nothing will, at least this year. Obviously enhanced by upcoming tropical cyclone activity near Australia, but same effect nonetheless, for all intents and purposes:

http://catchmypicture.com/R6UKGD.jpg

http://catchmypicture.com/VhNP0h.jpg

• Like 1

..... harangue me ...... It really detracts from any potential discussion. [international House of Pancakes].

Sorry Charlie. (I'm ?) not interested in buying into your characterization (broadcast) here above. And as far as whatever discussion (potential or otherwise.) goes, .. All, of my input to this sub-forum, even broader forum more in general, is posted with the intent of enhancing it.

This, if with certainly in many cases where responding to or commenting with respect to "your posts", this has been a fairly difficult, even dubious, prospect.

---

On that note..let's talk about tropical forcing.

If this can't amplify the RWT enough to force a wave-2 PV response, nothing will, at least this year. Obviously enhanced by upcoming tropical cyclone activity near Australia, but same effect nonetheless, for all intents and purposes:

http://catchmypicture.com/R6UKGD.jpg

http://catchmypicture.com/VhNP0h.jpg

Is there a chance the Hudson Bay polar vortex pattern can be broken up during the summer months with the longer days and warmer airmasses? Maybe then we can have a different pattern for next fall and winter, or does it not work that way?

I don't know why ...

... you can't see the rudeness in his replies to me ..... I don't know what else to say.

..... why you think I talk about .... my wx ... here (I rarely do, only once in the last 23 days),

You hadn't specified whatsoever, as to location or scope within the post that I'd focused on above in line with this idea. ... "Everything's, everything, everywhere." .. obviously, doesn't really constitute input to a potential discussion. Asking for clarity hasn't worked. Pointing to this kind of input (unclear.) in the past hasn't worked to have elicited more clarity. I decided to try to illustrate my impression more, of what you'd posted (unclear.) in another way. (The "size" of it.)

Much of what you post is vague. I like a certain amount of specificity in whatever "discussion" I find myself a part of potentially. (A nod's, not .. being as good as a wink, so to speak.  ;) .. Perhaps more clear, to you.)

.. With what "you've" done with time, with the idea of "location", even "scope" definitioni.e. from where you are and with considering how, "you've" elected to deal with posting different ideas involving location and scopehas put you we you are, with and where considering them. (Not me.) .. For lack of a better characterization, you appear to prefer the "causal", where working to point to different ideas, thinking of yours. Quite often, where considering the more specific form of "casual" that you've chosen to express your thinking, much of what you post ends ups being fairly obscured. (Oh Well.) .. Nothing that I've done. But more the path that you've chosen.

---

Is there a chance the Hudson Bay polar vortex pattern can be broken up during the summer months with the longer days and warmer airmasses? Maybe then we can have a different pattern for next fall and winter, or does it not work that way?

Yes, but not due to the warmer airmasses..rather the absence of the PV as a coupling mechanism (there is no stratospheric PV in the boreal summer) and shorter wavelengths may allow for a new circulation to take hold. It's never certain though, especially given the fact that solar will still want to pull us into a +AO circulation. Not to mention that the tropical forcings may throw a wrench in it..

• Like 1

On second thought..

http://www.proxigee.com/point.png

And, .. You really do, take quite a bit for "Granted" .. Don't you. (?)

Is your posting here of a listing of the "subject-headings" to PMs that I've sent you with time, supposed to be "telling" in your view, of a more extensive "haranging". .. ?

.. In none of these PMs, have I said anything that hadn't been pertinent, or conformed with the ideals that I've suggested above that I've subscribed to here more in-form. But contain only, and merely, comments, inquiries, observations, more personally directed to you, connected to discussion more in-forum.  (As you know. Or should be able to appreciate.) Again, not my problem. And if for others reading this, .. Some, certainly do, and in no uncertain terms, express opinions of mine, that I had held at whatever time more specific, of what you'd posted more online and in forum. All much more intended to present you with a perspective from which to review your input, than you've apparently been able note more. And frankly, the idea of, together with reasoning connected to, your having posted this listing, is a .. bit much, to work to "evaluate". (Poor "Phil". ?)

.. Here have another. "Poor Sense of Form XIII".

"Keep it causal". (?)  @ .... $

• Like 1
---

Another morning below freezing here.  Already warming nicely though!

Here are a couple of pictures from the other day with a lot of optics going on:)

http://weathercrazy.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Spring-2015/i-v9jzVSc/0/M/10.%20G%20Barn%20Halo%2C%20Upper%20Tangent%20Arc%2C%20Parhelion%20and%20Parhelic%20Circle%20Wide%20Circle-M.jpg

http://weathercrazy.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Spring-2015/i-DB5m63d/0/M/40.%20G%20Circumzenithal%20Arc%20and%20Superlateral%20Contrail-M.jpg

• Like 2

Planting 5 new Coral Bark Japanese Maples today... courtesy of Costco.   Such a great tree.  Looks awesome in summer and then puts on an awesome fall display and then the bark is red all winter long.  

We have several others and they do great at our location... so why not add some more?  

11046613_777656948969182_632630322989046

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Hard to believe it is March 7th, looks and feels like it could be May 7th. What an unbelievable stretch of nice weather we are having!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

... 5 new Coral Bark Japanese Maples 

An interesting fact about Japanese Maples. 

Or maybe better put, something that isn't more commonly known. 

.. With most of these trees that you'll see, with their being comparatively young (even if more up to 20 or 30 years.) you might think they are a generally fairly small. But in fact they can and do continue to grow quite tall (As tall as other Maples, other more deciduous trees.) with time. (More like 70 or 80 years.)

• Like 2
---

What a gorgeous sunny day today!

Highs so far.

BLI: 59

BFI: 63

SEA: 62

OLM: 63

PDX: 68

SLE: 68

There will probably be quite a few 70+ degree readings in Western Oregon tomorrow.

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

00Z Canadian says the pattern will be very different in 10 days!

http://img.meteocentre.com/models/gemglb_amer_00/GZ_D5_PN_240_0000.gif

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

..... the pattern will be very different in 10 days!

.. Maybe you should say just how Tim. 

This if what you've suggested here's not having just been sarcasm.  (In either case, the down-side, of your employing sarcasm to express your thinking at times of course having been illustrated fairly plainly with this post's vagueness looked at more in particularly. ?)

.. With this forecast depiction leaving much to be desired with no way to assess the more basic propensity of things where looking at them at 10 days out more alone, where looking at cold air mass's both movement and distribution more generally at the time, more general projection wise, I've got cold in regress, and moving fairly strongly east at the time. 

---

Rainier. Much bigger than Baker, although Baker is impressive in its own right.

Rainier. Much bigger than Baker, although Baker is impressive in its own right.

Yup, it looks like you were flying near or above the Emmons Glacier, on the mountain's northeast flank. The Emmons is actually the largest glacier in the lower 48, by area. Just a vast expanse of ice.

I absolutely love that side of Rainier. The Sunrise Lodge and White River area is gorgeous.

For perspective of Mount Rainier's hugeness, Little Tahoma Peak, the point on the left side of Rainier in the top photo and just left of center in the bottom one, is close to the height of Mt. Hood.

Many places in NW Oregon and SW Washington should have a shot at their first 70 of the season today.

Today is running cooler than yesterday at 1pm!  What gives?????  

It's like we've turned back the clock on global warming by turning the clocks forward!

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.