February 2014 in the PNW

stuffradio

18Z is meh for down here. Bulk of the cold digs into SW Canada. The westerlies bursting through the minute the PV approaches just keeps it from digging as far south as previously shown. Climo probably also plays a factor. Most events at this point in the season have a fairly stark North/South gradient. This one looks like it will be no exception.

Could be another great event for Whatcom County. Hopefully the Seattle area can get in on the action as well this time.

GFS is beginning to follow the Euro in keeping the PV held back in W Canada. Not good but these developments could easily be a hiccup.

GFS is beginning to follow the Euro in keeping the PV held back in W Canada. Not good but these developments could easily be a hiccup.

This is starting to feel less interesting.    I suppose there will be surprises... but it seems less explosive and seems to transition to wet and mild rather quickly.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

It's amazing how much more pleasant watching snow melting slowly in the sunshine is than the depressing slushfest we usually go through (though we had that Monday.)

Still solid snowcover here except South facing slopes in the sun and there's still 4-6" of snow in the shade despite temperatures in the 40's yesterday and near 50 today.

And there's not even that many puddles because they are drying up in the sun since DP's have been in the mid 20's all day.

so jealous...

It's amazing how much more pleasant watching snow melting slowly in the sunshine is than the depressing slushfest we usually go through (though we had that Monday.)

Still solid snowcover here except South facing slopes in the sun and there's still 4-6" of snow in the shade despite temperatures in the 40's yesterday and near 50 today.

And there's not even that many puddles because they are drying up in the sun since DP's have been in the mid 20's all day.

It is amazing... very much like what happens in the Midwest.   Reminds me of home when that happens here.   

Also the reason I personally hate transition events that end up in pouring rain immediately when the snow stops.    I would rather just not have the snow.   It is easier.   

I have heard all the reasons why any and all snow is awesome... I guess I am snow snob then.    The event in Bellingham seems like it was awesome overall... although Monday was a little wet the dewpoint never went above freezing.    That is the key.   The worst events are when the dewpoint shoots up into the 40s when the snow stops.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

It is amazing... very much like what happens in the Midwest.   Reminds me of home when that happens here.   

Also the reason I personally hate transition events that end up in pouring rain immediately when the snow stops.    I would rather just not have the snow.   It is easier.   

People will disagree with you about that!  That'll be fun and provide you with much-needed, attention-based nourishment!

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

People will disagree with you about that!  That'll be fun and provide you with much-needed, attention-based nourishment!

Yep... people need to raise their standards a little.   Our climate is capable of producing enjoyable snow!

What a spectacular day here.    Could not have picked a better day for the transition home.     

Looks like next week might be a repeat of the last week in terms of persistent precip and clouds.     We will have a little time to adjust though.    Hopefully we can get into a better pattern after next week.   

The latest ECMWF weeklies indicate that might happen... 

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/anderson/forecast-clues-through-march/23708435

I have heard all the reasons why any and all snow is awesome... I guess I am snow snob then.    The event in Bellingham seems like it was awesome overall... although Monday was a little wet the dewpoint never went above freezing.    That is the key.   The worst events are when the dewpoint shoots up into the 40s when the snow stops.   

Which never happens out here :P

This is starting to feel less interesting. I suppose there will be surprises... but it seems less explosive and seems to transition to wet and mild rather quickly.

Brennan will probably see more snow in NYC than the rest of us combined.

/troll

Brennan will probably see more snow in NYC than the rest of us combined.

/troll

And he got to see an epic event at home before he left.

He should be in heaven.    

I can't view the above images, Brody. Just saying

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 22
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 5/6, 5/7
5/8, 5/15, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Weird, were you able to see the ones I posted yesterday?

I posted 4 images, can you not see all of them?

I saw those from yesterday, just not these.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 22
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 5/6, 5/7
5/8, 5/15, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

I'd say the 18z Operational was a bit of an outlier.

Getting to the range where the ensembles don't mean too much though

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MT8_Vancouver_Kanada_ens.png

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MT8_Vancouver_Kanada_ens.png

Sure looks wet after the next couple days... that is a screaming message there.

I'm pretty heartened by the fact the ECMWF ensemble looks about the best of any mode for lowland snow prospects and it is considered the best model. It and the GFS ensemble really like the idea of sending the cold air out over a short water trajectory and then swinging the jet into SW WA. Just about as good as it gets for trajectory in a case like this. I am very puzzled why about 90% of the GFS ensemble members are much better for us at the 500mb level than the operational GFS. You could argue that terrain may cause problems for 850mb ensemble projections, but the 500mb level isn't effected by terrain to any great extent.

At this point let's hope the GFS is running too warm to make up for running too cold on the last event. Right now it does seem to be the warm outlier.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It is pretty odd when it's by far the warmest member of all though. When looking at the ECMWF ensemble it seems almost certain the GFS will trend colder in the home stretch. The GFS seems to have really fallen on hard times over the past week.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Another very noteworthy thing about the ECMWF ensemble is it indicates -16C 850mb temps along the east slopes of the Cascades. The outflow winds are sure to be very cold if that verifies. With that cold of air I am bit concerned we may get freezing rain when the layer of cold air gets shallower early next week. Pretty weird to see that kind of situation in March.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It is pretty odd when it's by far the warmest member of all though. When looking at the ECMWF ensemble it seems almost certain the GFS will trend colder in the home stretch. The GFS seems to have really fallen on hard times over the past week.

Again, it could be the lack of resolution on the GEFS, hence poor handling of the Cascades' influence.

The ECMWF doesn't take 850s below -4 in SEA before flow turns onshore and temps/dewpoints rise in the low levels.

Today was the first day since February 5th with 0.00 in the rain gauge at SEA.

SEA is at 6.11 inches for the month.   Over 11 inches of rain at my location.   Mountains are in great shape now as well.

We are entering spring without any drought worries.    Meteorological spring starts Saturday... but the first week of spring might be very winter-like.