February 2014 in the PNW

stuffradio

WRF is still basically totally dry for all of Western Washington through hour 60 (4AM Sunday.)

GFS looked like this at that point:

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/gfs/20140228/00/gfs_namer_060_1000_500_thick_s.gif

Weird.

Honestly, WRF has been pathetically awful most of the winter with these events. I'd ignore it.

MM5 NAM of course shows plenty of precip on Sunday.

WRF is still basically totally dry for all of Western Washington through hour 60 (4AM Sunday.)

GFS looked like this at that point:

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/gfs/20140228/00/gfs_namer_060_1000_500_thick_s.gif

Weird.

It has been doing that the last few runs. What gives?

You are a ****.  How did you get married.

Although, it shows nothing here so I could care less what happened either. :D

What's gotten into you? You've been attacking people all night.

foto26446a4f1f801ef3b3d1564dea31df66.png
"Western troughing literally kills people at this time of year. And in the most gruesome of ways."

WRF might technically be dry on Saturday... but has copious clouds which usually means its closer to precip than you would think.    

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/mm5rt/data/current_gfs/images_d3/intcld.39.0000.gif

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

WRF might technically be dry on Saturday... but has copious clouds which usually means its closer to precip than you would think.    

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/mm5rt/data/current_gfs/images_d3/intcld.39.0000.gif

Sunny where I'll be working on the coast! :)

How did the MM5 NAM handle last weekends event? I forget.

Both the MM5 NAM and WRF did poorly, showing most of the precip missing Bellingham to the south on Sunday. Both of them really underestimated how slow moving the storm system would be, and thus badly underforecasted snow for the places that actually got it and overforecasted everywhere else.

WRF has precip arriving around noon on Sunday in Seattle:

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/mm5rt/data/current_gfs/images_d2/pcp1.66.0000.gif

And is very close to scouring out the cold air at that time:

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/mm5rt/data/current_gfs/images_d2/slp.66.0000.gif

This looks so much like last weekend.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Both the MM5 NAM and WRF did poorly, showing most of the precip missing Bellingham to the south on Sunday. Both of them really underestimated how slow moving the storm system would be, and thus badly underforecasted snow for the places that actually got it and overforecasted everywhere else.

I remember the WRF showed almost non-stop precip for the Seattle area from Saturday - Monday about this time last week.

It was WAY wetter last week than what its showing for this Saturday into Sunday morning.

Looked at the last 2 pages it looks like Vancouver is looking good :) models hopefully keep up the trend! Thanks for giving news for us in BC on the south coast ! Appericate it :)

2013/2014 Winter season

Coldest Low: 14 F December 7th

Coldest High: 27.3 F December 7th

Coldest Wind chill: 5 F December 7th

Lowest Dew Point: -2.2 F December 6th

Days below freezing: 5

Total Snowfall: 11 inches

Most snowfall in a Day: 8 inches

Days With Snow: 3

WRF shows a quick snow event on Sunday afternoon and then rain by evening for Seattle.

This is going to end fast in the Seattle area.   Use last weekend as a reference point.   The cold air and snow is not going to magically get entrenched down here.  

WRF shows a quick snow event on Sunday afternoon and then rain by evening for Seattle.

This is going to end fast in the Seattle area. Use last weekend as a reference point. The cold air and snow is not going to magically get entrenched down here.

Should we see enhancement up here with outflow winds ?

2013/2014 Winter season

Still hoping after this next week we are heading into a fairly spring-like pattern.    The models keep hinting at it... maybe when this intense cold stops dumping down into the middle of the country?

Honestly, WRF has been pathetically awful most of the winter with these events. I'd ignore it.

MM5 NAM of course shows plenty of precip on Sunday.

WRF May be overdoing the downslope drying.  Remember a couple weeks ago when it said no snow for Seattle due to the strong offshore flow?  May be a model issue.

Should we see enhancement up here with outflow winds ?

WRF shows a low offshore Sunday night... southerly flow able to reach past Bellingham.     This is not as favorable up there.    It will definitely snow though.

Ok, should I use thumb nail or hotlink for forums link to upload the images?

I resize for message boards... upload it... then click on the small image which makes it full size... then right click on that image and copy the URL... then paste into the picture link here.

This is 1 a.m. Monday (Sunday night)

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/mm5rt/data/current_gfs/images_d2/slp.81.0000.gif

This went from being an amazing event... to an event that lasts a couple hours and its 45 degrees and raining by the end of the day.

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/mm5rt/data/current_gfs/images_d2/slp.81.0000.gif

This went from being an amazing event... to an event that lasts a couple hours and its 45 degrees and raining by the end of the day.

It would be a home run if that low came into Astoria.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Ok let's try this againhttp://s8.postimg.org/o11ascao5/GFS_snow.pngCan you see it now?

IF not then f*** it

You got it.

foto26446a4f1f801ef3b3d1564dea31df66.png
"Western troughing literally kills people at this time of year. And in the most gruesome of ways."

Ok let's try this againhttp://s8.postimg.org/o11ascao5/GFS_snow.pngCan you see it now?

IF not then f*** it 

That works... did you follow my method?

The GEM has a ton of moisture this weekend but is barely to warm for any snow South of Bellingham. Really slams SW BC though,

When does the snow start and end here?

2013/2014 Winter season

When does the snow start and end here?

The Canadian shows snow starting in Vancouver Saturday afternoon and continuing till it turns to rain Sunday evening.

Almost identical timing as last weekend.

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

A low sitting in that spot would produce a lot of snow along the east side of Vancouver Island. Another 15-20" snowstorm in the Nanaimo area only a week later would be pretty impressive. Looks a better up in the Parksville region this time around. Going to be a lot less down here in Victoria, but the outflow looks a little better this time around and the air should be a bit drier going into it. Maybe we'll finally see that 1"+ snowfall that has eluded us for over 2 years.

You should really try being more proactive in your search for exactly what will happen in Vancouver.

No

2013/2014 Winter season

Ok, I still feel bad for talking crap about Seattle NWS discussions earlier today, but tonight's discussion was about as short as I have ever seen. I remember the days where that was my only resource back in the mid 90's. Well that and Harry Wapplers 5 day forecast :)

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Ok, I still feel bad for talking crap about Seattle NWS discussions earlier today, but tonight's discussion was about as short as I have ever seen. I remember the days where that was my only resource back in the mid 90's. Well that and Harry Wapplers 5 day forecast :)

. Don't you wish you could cut and paste for your job every day?