Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

2017 California/Southwest Weather Thread

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply

happ

Posted 28 April 2017 - 11:22 AM

happ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2905 posts
  • LocationRancho San Rafael [ele: 910'] °

"100 Million Dead Trees: A Danger That Persists Long After the Drought" https://www.newsdeep...ter-the-drought

• Dan the Weatherman likes this

happ

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:10 PM

happ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2905 posts

Still windy today but not nearly as strong/ damaging as yesterday. Could get hot tomorrow.

84/ 65

Dan the Weatherman

Posted Yesterday, 01:07 AM

Dan the Weatherman

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1267 posts
  • LocationOrange, CA

LAX (and along the coast through Venice and SM) just went from 64 degrees at 7:25pm to 75 by 8:20pm. I was outside during the wind shift and the temperature change was quite noticeable. Santa Monica Airport (just over a mile inland) hit the daily high of 83 degrees at 4:51pm and remained near 80 until 7:15pm. The sea breeze was really fighting the northerly wind right near the beach, but was finally pushed back.

Interestingly, the forecast is nearly always off for these Northerly winds for my area. On Tuesday we had gusts topping 40mph in the evening here in Santa Monica. They issued a wind advisory for the following night (Wednesday), but there were no winds to speak. Tonight they are again gusting to 30mph+.

Welcome to the Forum, Alxz310!

It is amazing how quickly the temperature warms up when the wind shifts from onshore to offshore. I live in a wind-prone location in Orange, in northeastern Orange County not too far from the Santa Ana Canyon, and experience these wind shifts quite often during our Santa Ana season in the fall and early winter. The temperature can rise 8 or even 10 degrees in a half-hour period.

Dan the Weatherman

Posted Yesterday, 01:12 AM

Dan the Weatherman

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1267 posts
  • LocationOrange, CA

It has been very warm and extremely windy all afternoon/ evening w/ gusts pushing 50mph

83/ 60

The Santa Ana winds have come up here in Orange tonight and are blowing quite strongly right now. They began around 10 p.m. give or take a few minutes. The winds of the past few days have been of the NW variety, which rarely blow strongly here, usually amounting just to the usual daily breezes. However, the wind shift occurred tonight to the NE (Santa Ana) direction, which is why I am now feeling the winds.

I was smelling smoke a while ago (smells like a brush fire) and became quite strong for a time. Fortunately, the smell has diminished over the last half hour or so, even as the wind is still blowing strongly. Hopefully wherever the fire is located, it is being contained. I haven't heard any sirens in the area, so it may be further away than I think it is.

EDIT: I am not smelling any smoke at this moment (2:15 a.m.).

richard mann

Posted Yesterday, 08:30 AM

richard mann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3395 posts
  • LocationParadise, CA
(.. cross-reference.)

---twitter_logo-t12.png

happ

Posted Yesterday, 09:16 AM

happ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2905 posts

The Santa Ana winds have come up here in Orange tonight and are blowing quite strongly right now. They began around 10 p.m. give or take a few minutes. The winds of the past few days have been of the NW variety, which rarely blow strongly here, usually amounting just to the usual daily breezes. However, the wind shift occurred tonight to the NE (Santa Ana) direction, which is why I am now feeling the winds.

I was smelling smoke a while ago (smells like a brush fire) and became quite strong for a time. Fortunately, the smell has diminished over the last half hour or so, even as the wind is still blowing strongly. Hopefully wherever the fire is located, it is being contained. I haven't heard any sirens in the area, so it may be further away than I think it is.

EDIT: I am not smelling any smoke at this moment (2:15 a.m.).

Normally santa ana winds are much lighter here due to the close proximity of the east-west San Gabriel Mts. unlike the San Fernando/ Santa Clarita valleys and, of-course, Orange county. NNW winds, on the other hand can blast us as they have this week. Last night, I was surprised how strong the NE winds were w/ gusts reported over 35mph and am glad this morning is calm here. 

My concern is the pattern of warm dry winds after months of virtually no rainfall; fire season is not far off as you noticed last night. 

Front Ranger

Posted Yesterday, 09:36 AM

Front Ranger

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8526 posts
  • LocationWestminster, CO

The 0z Euro shows a rare large May rainstorm for pretty much all of CA.

• Dan the Weatherman likes this

Cool anomalies soothe the soul.

happ

Posted Yesterday, 10:10 AM

happ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2905 posts

The 0z Euro shows a rare large May rainstorm for pretty much all of CA.

Yes, I have been following the discussion of this cut off low w/ real interest and hope.

Mr Marine Layer

Posted Yesterday, 04:14 PM

Mr Marine Layer

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • LocationLake Forest, CA
Santa Ana Winds have shifted and now there is a very strong west wind.

happ

Posted Yesterday, 08:04 PM

happ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2905 posts

It appears the airmass over the Great Basin was cool enough to keep temps below 90F west of transverse range except in a few locations [Pomona]; it was downright cool in Las Vegas [78F] Phoenix [80F], Palm Springs/ Death Valley [89F].  Winds are down; evening is getting cool.

84/ 63