October 2017 PNW Discussion Thread

stuffradio

Yeah, anecdotally I can't remember too many events where that area was a sweet spot. It seems like they always miss out a bit in one setup or another, and they're obviously pretty moderated by water being on the edge of a little peninsula.

That makes sense that they would more often miss out rather than be in the best of all worlds situation. Being surrounded by water is never a good thing in our climate zone.

That makes sense that they would more often miss out rather than be in the best of all worlds situation. Being surrounded by water is never a good thing in our climate zone.

I was thinking the same thing. They are way out at the end of a narrow peninsula, with open water on three sides.

I'm curious how often they even see a hard freeze.

I was thinking the same thing. They are way out at the end of a narrow peninsula, with open water on three sides.

They do have some gems, although they seem to be few and far between. I like the 17.5" on January 5, 1982. Similar NW'erly blast to November 2010, where PDX experienced CAA from the N/NW without any gorge influence. 

They do have some gems, although they seem to be few and far between. I like the 17.5" on January 5, 1982. Similar NW'erly blast to November 2010, where PDX experienced CAA from the N/NW without any gorge influence. 

I think that one is pretty dubious, looks to me like it got entered on WRCC wrong.

https://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/orders/IPS/IPS-9869909D-F644-459D-A7BE-0E921F214D09.pdf

That was a significant event for NW WA, but I'm not aware of any daily totals that high.

Just like last winter the GFS is struggling with a possible cutoff low to our SW or WSW interfering with a trough trying to dig down from the north. The 6z had no cutoff low so the trough solidly dug in while the 12z has the cutoff low there again causing the trough to deflect. The 0z GEM and 0z ECMWF agreed with the 6z GFS so for now going with a sharp trough scenario seems reasonable.

No offense but I consider the GFS to be a total joke after what I witnessed last winter and the majority of this year so far. It doesn't know if it's coming or going 99.9% of the time. Even veteran mets around the country agree that the Euro is far more accurate than the GFS. Considering how accurate the Euro was with this recent string of Atlantic hurricanes.... I'd wager that it's the one to place bets on.

The northern Olympic Peninsula as a whole does very well with snowfall during strong Fraser River outflow thanks to overwater trajectory and orographic lifting against the mountains. Port Townsend is kind of on the edge of that, though, and seems like they tend to rely a little more on convergence zone action whereas Port Angeles and Sequim rely more on the upslope flow with an arctic frontal passage.

They get a whole variety of weather there. You're right though. Port Townsend was on the very edge of the Fraser River outflow snow event last winter. Sequim and Port Angeles got nailed though.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

They get a whole variety of weather there. You're right though. Port Townsend was on the very edge of the Fraser River outflow snow event last winter. Sequim and Port Angeles got nailed though.

Yeah, it seems like the COOP stations around town measured just a few inches or less last February. Pretty wimpy.

I'm curious how often they even see a hard freeze.

Maybe similar to Victoria Gonzales (southern tip of Vancouver island). They don't see many hard freezes without some Fraser River outflow assistance.

http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climate_data/daily_data_e.html?timeframe=2&hlyRange=1994-02-01%7C2017-09-30&dlyRange=1973-01-01%7C2017-09-30&mlyRange=1972-01-01%7C2007-02-01&StationID=114&Prov=BC&urlExtension=_e.html&searchType=stnName&optLimit=yearRange&StartYear=1840&EndYear=2017&selRowPerPage=25&Line=0&searchMethod=contains&txtStationName=Gonzales&Day=1&Year=2017&Month=9#

• Like 1

12z Euro looks pretty east with the next clipper. Warm days and coolish nights.

Luckily its the ECMWF... total garbage.  

It sure does look sharp and cold with the big trough early next week.   Brrrrrrr!

ecmwf_T850a_namer_9.png

ecmwf_T850a_namer_10.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

It does happen reasonably often.  More often in seasons that give way to colder winters.

I kind of suspected that.  Sometimes I'm not here in October, but I remember as a kid hearing the weather guy talking about hail and ice pellets off the coast near Ocean Shores, less than a week later we were hit with an arctic outbreak and snow...

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

Luckily its the ECMWF... total garbage.

It sure does look sharp and cold with the big trough early next week. Brrrrrrr!

If you could rape, torture and murder a cold enthusiast every few years and get off scott free, would you?

Whatever he says, it will actually work out opposite. Because of timing. Never fails.

But his forecasts are still valuable.   He does well predicting the general progression... just always too slow.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Euro shows a solidly warm first ten days of October. Pretty crazy. You can never trust the models when they say we are finally entering an extended cool pattern these days. Even if there is stellar support, a wrinkle will form and the whole thing will fall apart after a couple days of decent runs.

Euro shows a solidly warm first ten days of October. Pretty crazy. You can never trust the models when they say we are finally entering an extended cool pattern these days. Even if there is stellar support, a wrinkle will form and the whole thing will fall apart after a couple days of decent runs.

bridge1.jpg

• Like 4

A forum for the end of the world.

Science!

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.