October 2017 PNW Discussion Thread

stuffradio

For Octüber, or future months several months down the road?

Dec-Feb looks below normal

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

How did they do in Dec 1996/Nov 2006/Feb 2011? Those were pretty big events on the other side of the Strait.

They got slammed in Dec 1996, but then again so did everyone from the central part of the Puget Sound moving northward. Port Townsend wasn't reporting snowfall that month, but 25" fell in Sequim and 24" in Coupeville. Given that Port Townsend is between those two locations I would say 2 feet is a good bet. 

Tough to say for November 2006 since a bunch of stations weren't reporting, but Forks did record 8". 

In Feb 2011, Coupeville recorded 5" and Sequim recorded a 4" depth on the 25th (without reporting the total snowfall that actually fell). 

• Like 2

I think that one is pretty dubious, looks to me like it got entered on WRCC wrong.

https://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/orders/IPS/IPS-9869909D-F644-459D-A7BE-0E921F214D09.pdf

That was a significant event for NW WA, but I'm not aware of any daily totals that high.

Yup, I should have known better than to trust that number. 

They got slammed in Dec 1996, but then again so did everyone from the central part of the Puget Sound moving northward. Port Townsend wasn't reporting snowfall that month, but 25" fell in Sequim and 24" in Coupeville. Given that Port Townsend is between those two locations I would say 2 feet is a good bet.

Tough to say for November 2006 since a bunch of stations weren't reporting, but Forks did record 8".

In Feb 2011, Coupeville recorded 5" and Sequim recorded a 4" depth on the 25th (without reporting the total snowfall that actually fell).

This is great information. I appreciate that my query earlier lead to all of this.

• Like 1

It depends. People locked outside on a winter night would definitely consider the offer, especially if you were to walk up to them and state your preferences.

I think most people would be more inclined to rape and murder a vegan with impunity before a cold enthusiast.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Was up by Darrington and Rockport today. Drove through some really heavy showers up there. It was pretty cool at times it was raining, but yet you look up and you can see the surrounding snowy peaks.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Some very beautiful CFS monthlies.

Nice to hear!

No doubt the deep troughs we are seeing are a really good sign.  The one this weekend is looking really good now.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Nice to hear!

No doubt the deep troughs we are seeing are a really good sign.  The one this weekend is looking really good now.

On what?   The 18Z GFS?    :lol:

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Clearing / drying from the north is clearly showing up on the sat pic now.  Should be some chilly nights this week!

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The system doesn't seem intent on entering a "healthy" La Niña state right now. Ironically, this might be a blessing in disguise if you're afraid of a relentless +EPO/lack of blocking.

A weaker low frequency Niña circulation would promote more intraseasonal/MJO forcing, which could amplify the wavetrain and allow for more pattern variability.

• Like 1

The system doesn't seem intent on entering a "healthy" La Niña state right now. Ironically, this might be a blessing in disguise if you're afraid of a relentless +EPO/lack of blocking.

A weaker low frequency Niña circulation would promote more intraseasonal/MJO forcing, which could amplify the wavetrain and allow for more pattern variability.

That is what I have been thinking... cheering on the Nina might be fools gold.    I am hoping for a weak Nina to boost the odds of blocking.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

That probably would be fine.  It's obvious we don't have to worry about a Nino this winter.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The trough coming late this week looks to drop 850s to the 0 to 2C range now.  Another solid shot of chilly air.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It appears that the GFS output is just stated as fact now.   12Z ECMWF has 850mb temps around +8C again by next Sunday afternoon FWIW.       -_-

You've already got enough on your plate after last month. Might want to sit out a few plays.

Ooooooh sh*t.

• Like 1

Canadian is solidly on the trough next weekend train.

attachicon.gifgem_z500a_us_24.png

If the 00Z ECMWF still looks the same... then the other models will eventually catch up.   The 12Z EPS and control run agreed with the operational ECMWF.  

But you already know and that and are trying to troll me.  :)

If the 00Z ECMWF still looks the same... then the other models will eventually catch up. The 12Z EPS and control run agreed with the operational ECMWF.

But you already know and that and are trying to troll me. :)

I think a wise man once said...not everything's about you. And Jim.