Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

2018 Severe weather pics/discussion

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Niko

Posted 14 June 2018 - 04:33 PM

Niko

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5345 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

T'stm activity here in SEMI looks zilch. Very isolated.

LNK_Weather

Posted 16 June 2018 - 05:46 AM

LNK_Weather

Apparently my posts are garbage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3602 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE (The Shaft City)
Took these about 30 minutes ago here in Fargo. If I wasn't there I'd think these pictures are fake. Truly remarkable to see in person.

Attached Files

• Hawkeye, gabel23, Illinois_WX and 3 others like this

>1" Snowfalls for Lincoln Municipal Airport in 2018-2019: 10/14 (3.5"), 11/17 (2.6")

Total Snowfall for 2018-2019 @ KLNK: 7.1"             Coldest Low: 7*F

First flake of the season: 10/14/2018 @ 7:01 AM CDT       

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2018 Severe Weather Season Statistics for my apartment:

Tornado Watches: 2 (Last: 6/11/2018)

Tornado Warnings: 0 (Last: 5/9/2016)

Severe Thunderstorm Watches: 6 (Last: 9/20/2018)

Severe Thunderstorm Warnings: 5 (Last: 9/20/2018)

SPC Day 1 High Risks: 0 (Last: 6/5/2008)

SPC Day 1 Moderate Risks: 1 (Last: 6/1/2018)

SPC Day 1 Enhanced Risks: 3 (Last: 6/30/2018)

SPC Day 1 Slight Risks: 9 (Last: 9/20/2018)

Stacsh

Posted 16 June 2018 - 07:50 AM

Stacsh

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationGrand Haven, MI

Shelf cloud rolling south along Lake Michigan this morning.  

:o

Attached File  IMG_2927 (3).png   577.18KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_2928 (3).png   654.12KB   0 downloads

• Hawkeye, jaster220, NEJeremy and 2 others like this

NEJeremy

Posted 19 June 2018 - 11:11 AM

NEJeremy

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1909 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

Took this pic on my iPhone yesterday out chasing. Will work on some more of my pics soon

Attached Files

• Hawkeye, Illinois_WX, jaster220 and 1 other like this

gabel23

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:07 PM

gabel23

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1258 posts
  • LocationShelby, NE

Took this pic on my iPhone yesterday out chasing. Will work on some more of my pics soon

That’s one of the most impressive shelf clouds I have ever seen!
  • NEJeremy likes this

NEJeremy

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:18 PM

NEJeremy

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1909 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

That’s one of the most impressive shelf clouds I have ever seen!

What was kind of cool/different about the shelf cloud, was behind the southern 1/2 or basically the left half of the shelf cloud there was no precip and barely even any clouds. You could see some blue sky behind it. Usually the shelf cloud has precip/clouds behind the whole length of it. Was very impressive!

• gabel23 likes this

Niko

Posted 21 June 2018 - 04:21 AM

Niko

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5345 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

Hopefully severe weather ova the weekend for SEMI. So far it has been a boring season here in mby.

NEJeremy

Posted 03 July 2018 - 07:58 PM

NEJeremy

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1909 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

Chased 6/30 in south central Nebraska. Unfortunately, made it to the storm about 10 minutes after the last tornado with this storm touched down. Kind of surprising as the storm continued to look amazing on radar and was in a great environment to continue to produce. It did try one more time, but other than that didn't come close. Storm was eventually killed off by a new storm that moved in from the south and we chased that storm to the east for quite a while. This storm was also very pretty, but never came close to producing a tornado.

Attached Files

• Hawkeye, VMB443 and LNK_Weather like this

LNK_Weather

Posted 05 July 2018 - 05:28 PM

LNK_Weather

Apparently my posts are garbage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3602 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE (The Shaft City)
Photo taken by my dad back in Houston. Strong storm with a hail core.

Attached Files

• OKwx2k4 likes this

>1" Snowfalls for Lincoln Municipal Airport in 2018-2019: 10/14 (3.5"), 11/17 (2.6")

Total Snowfall for 2018-2019 @ KLNK: 7.1"             Coldest Low: 7*F

First flake of the season: 10/14/2018 @ 7:01 AM CDT       

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2018 Severe Weather Season Statistics for my apartment:

Tornado Watches: 2 (Last: 6/11/2018)

Tornado Warnings: 0 (Last: 5/9/2016)

Severe Thunderstorm Watches: 6 (Last: 9/20/2018)

Severe Thunderstorm Warnings: 5 (Last: 9/20/2018)

SPC Day 1 High Risks: 0 (Last: 6/5/2008)

SPC Day 1 Moderate Risks: 1 (Last: 6/1/2018)

SPC Day 1 Enhanced Risks: 3 (Last: 6/30/2018)

SPC Day 1 Slight Risks: 9 (Last: 9/20/2018)

Niko

Posted 09 July 2018 - 04:55 AM

Niko

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5345 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

No severe weather IMBY for the near term. :wacko:

hlcater

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:20 PM

hlcater

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1288 posts
  • LocationHiawatha, Eastern IA

@Tom, wanna move this to the severe wx pics thread for me? I dont wanna have to reup all my pictures.

(I yet again forgot to post in here, and this post is long) Well, I scored quite big in Iowa yesterday. I started the day near Newton IA, what was interesting was as soon as the first storm went off, it immediately went tornado warned(within minutes of 50dbz). I found this surprising and as it turned out, would set the tone for the day. My first tornado came near Colfax probably 30 minutes after the initial warning and was the 2nd(3rd) tornado that storm produced. I caught it from a distance with some good contrast.

56ada33dbed12d27534b895595bab93f.png

As this tornado roped out, the storm wasted no time cycling and soon dropping another tornado immediately south of Prairie City. This was my favorite due to the lack of damage caused and good viewing angle.

809c8bc68386ceacf38e920045a9c9bc.png

Again the storm wasted no time and was wrapping up before this tornado was done. I didn't get any good pictures of the 3rd tornado as I was driving at the time. Short live stovepipe near Monroe.

1c3429aef33a2c90df873d0230fc05dc.png

The next two tornadoes featured a little more staying power than the last two. Both being strong looking cones near Pella, IA. One to the NW and another in Pella and to the SE. I got a pretty nice angle on the RFD, with the rain wrapped cone for tornado number 4. The RFD on this storm was particularly dramatic at times and something more characteristic of the High Plains than of Iowa. Normally this area is super HP and filled with rain. While under that cut, I could see deep into the storm's updraft(probably a few miles up at least).

eabafe47f6fcaa99e896c63e89e9fe35.png

After passing through Pella, I came out on the other side and was immediately greeted by a very welcoming tornado number 5. This was the tornado that destroyed the manufacturing plant in Pella. I was perfectly positioned smack dab in the middle of the RFD for the entire duration of tornadoes 5 and 6. There wasn't much hail(topping out at nickle size), and the rain really wasn't too bad for Iowa standards either, but the wind was exceptional at times measuring at least 80-90mph. Tornado number 6 was a brief satellite this tornado, of which I didn't get any pictures. This would be the end of my chase as my car had decided it was fed up with the RFD and the red battery light came on. As such, I called the chase there and headed back early, with no further issue. However it doesn't appear I missed any more tornadoes.

00c14fc006a796c7a54d8e97fbf6c0ba.png

All in all, absolutely stellar chase with all different types of structure and tornadoes and easily the best chase I've had.(Although my chase portfolio is still quite small.)

• Tom, james1976, jaster220 and 1 other like this

2018-19 Snowfall: 

TOTAL: 3.5"

(Nov. 9: 0.6") (Nov. 17: 2.9")

Formerly NWLinn

Tom

Posted 21 July 2018 - 02:32 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 17290 posts
  • LocationDes Plaines, IL

@Tom, wanna move this to the severe wx pics thread for me? I dont wanna have to reup all my pictures.

(I yet again forgot to post in here, and this post is long) Well, I scored quite big in Iowa yesterday. I started the day near Newton IA, what was interesting was as soon as the first storm went off, it immediately went tornado warned(within minutes of 50dbz). I found this surprising and as it turned out, would set the tone for the day. My first tornado came near Colfax probably 30 minutes after the initial warning and was the 2nd(3rd) tornado that storm produced. I caught it from a distance with some good contrast.

56ada33dbed12d27534b895595bab93f.png

As this tornado roped out, the storm wasted no time cycling and soon dropping another tornado immediately south of Prairie City. This was my favorite due to the lack of damage caused and good viewing angle.

809c8bc68386ceacf38e920045a9c9bc.png

Again the storm wasted no time and was wrapping up before this tornado was done. I didn't get any good pictures of the 3rd tornado as I was driving at the time. Short live stovepipe near Monroe.

1c3429aef33a2c90df873d0230fc05dc.png

The next two tornadoes featured a little more staying power than the last two. Both being strong looking cones near Pella, IA. One to the NW and another in Pella and to the SE. I got a pretty nice angle on the RFD, with the rain wrapped cone for tornado number 4. The RFD on this storm was particularly dramatic at times and something more characteristic of the High Plains than of Iowa. Normally this area is super HP and filled with rain. While under that cut, I could see deep into the storm's updraft(probably a few miles up at least).

eabafe47f6fcaa99e896c63e89e9fe35.png

After passing through Pella, I came out on the other side and was immediately greeted by a very welcoming tornado number 5. This was the tornado that destroyed the manufacturing plant in Pella. I was perfectly positioned smack dab in the middle of the RFD for the entire duration of tornadoes 5 and 6. There wasn't much hail(topping out at nickle size), and the rain really wasn't too bad for Iowa standards either, but the wind was exceptional at times measuring at least 80-90mph. Tornado number 6 was a brief satellite this tornado, of which I didn't get any pictures. This would be the end of my chase as my car had decided it was fed up with the RFD and the red battery light came on. As such, I called the chase there and headed back early, with no further issue. However it doesn't appear I missed any more tornadoes.

00c14fc006a796c7a54d8e97fbf6c0ba.png

All in all, absolutely stellar chase with all different types of structure and tornadoes and easily the best chase I've had.(Although my chase portfolio is still quite small.)

There ya go bud.  Wow, you really scored some good shots and were positioned quite well when those tornado's touched down.  Congrats on your personal-best trip!  I know you've been yearning a good severe wx threat ALL season long.  Well, your patience has paid off and wouldn't ya know it, it ended up being in late July!  Now that's a memory you won't forget.  That, in itself, is an amazing feat to beat.

• jaster220 and hlcater like this

hlcater

Posted 21 July 2018 - 09:35 AM

hlcater

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1288 posts
  • LocationHiawatha, Eastern IA

There ya go bud.  Wow, you really scored some good shots and were positioned quite well when those tornado's touched down.  Congrats on your personal-best trip!  I know you've been yearning a good severe wx threat ALL season long.  Well, your patience has paid off and wouldn't ya know it, it ended up being in late July!  Now that's a memory you won't forget.  That, in itself, is an amazing feat to beat.

2018 is still statistically one of the worst seasons on record, but my 2018 has been saved by a single pretty epic day. Though its always unfortunate when they hit towns in the case of Pella and Marshalltown.

• Tom and jaster220 like this

2018-19 Snowfall: 

TOTAL: 3.5"

(Nov. 9: 0.6") (Nov. 17: 2.9")

Formerly NWLinn

Niko

Posted 22 July 2018 - 06:15 AM

Niko

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5345 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

Zilch severe weather for SEMI continues.

Niko

Posted 04 August 2018 - 09:35 AM

Niko

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5345 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

Yesterday outta nowhere, a hvy downpour occurred, which lasted 15sec. No biggy! Sun was shining at the same time. :rolleyes:

Niko

Posted 14 August 2018 - 02:10 PM

Niko

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5345 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

Some t'stms possible tomorrow. We can use some water. Its been fairly dry here in SEMI.

Niko

Posted 04 September 2018 - 04:40 AM

Niko

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5345 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

So, I can honestly say that MA Nature provided some water yesterday w great amounts as well. No severe weather was reported, but definitely some beneficial rainfall. Oh, and some rumbles of thunder and a little lightning as well.

jaster220

Posted 06 September 2018 - 12:02 PM

jaster220

St. Joseph Lighthouse January 2014

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5195 posts
  • LocationKRMY (Marshall, MI) KJXN (work)

After a VERY SLOW severe season across most of The Mitt, the past 12 days crammed in quite a bit of action right at the tail end

Attached File  20180906 GRR Severe Recap graphic.png   694.91KB   0 downloads

• OKwx2k4 likes this

Niko

Posted 06 September 2018 - 01:52 PM

Niko

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5345 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

After a VERY SLOW severe season across most of The Mitt, the past 12 days crammed in quite a bit of action right at the tail end

attachicon.gif20180906 GRR Severe Recap graphic.png

There ya go buddy...... ;) :D

• jaster220 likes this

Hawkeye

Posted 25 September 2018 - 07:47 AM

Hawkeye

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1585 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids, IA

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Quad Cities IA IL
1024 AM CDT Tue Sep 25 2018

UPDATE...
Issued at 1005 AM CDT Tue Sep 25 2018

Severe Potential: Looks as though elevated convection will begin
to overtake the warm sector and become rooted in the BL. This
should occur shortly before noon and likely just west of the CWA.
Overall convection speed will slow down and begin to move into our
area. This will give time for CAPE to build this afternoon across
the CWA. Synoptic models show that shear doesn't support
tornadogenesis, due to SW sfc winds. It appears that a sfc wave is
forming across SW IA. This wave will back winds, much like the
HRRR shows. I believe that we will have a tornado threat from any
mesovortex that develops. I also believe that shear will be
greater than what synoptic models forecast due to this low. As far
as severe parameters go, tend to favor CAM solutions related to
shear. Severe threat for winds to 70 mph, hail and tornadoes
remains for the area.

• jaster220 likes this

season snowfall: 0.0"

'17-18: 39.5"      '16-17: 17.9"      '15-16: 20.0"      '14-15: 30.4"      '13-14: 48.3"      '12-13: 34.1"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Niko

Posted 25 September 2018 - 07:51 AM

Niko

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5345 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI
NOAA:

This hazardous weather outlook is for southeast Michigan.

.DAY ONE...Today and Tonight

There is a chance of thunderstorms today and tonight over southeast Michigan.
There is a slight chance these storms may become severe in the 6 pm
to 4 am window. Damaging wind gusts to 60 mph would be the main
hazard, but isolated tornadoes can`t be ruled out, especially toward
the southern Michigan border. Storm motion will be east at 40 MPH.

Hawkeye

Posted 25 September 2018 - 11:57 AM

Hawkeye

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1585 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids, IA

I thought I already posted about what I got from this line, but apparently I did not.

For the first few minutes, it was disappointingly tame.  I thought it was going to be another wind dud.  However, it then hit in a hurry.  I received a 50 mph gust, then 60 mph, then 70 mph.  I could hear the wind coming and the huge tree on the next block began to disappear in the rain/wind blur.  When the 70 mph gust hit, I could hear some small tree debris hit the house.  There are bits of tree strewn across the lawn.  A neighbor had a large limb blown down from one of his trees.  My garden took a beating, with at least one large hummer plant partiallly broken and another snapped right off near the base.

• jaster220 likes this

season snowfall: 0.0"

'17-18: 39.5"      '16-17: 17.9"      '15-16: 20.0"      '14-15: 30.4"      '13-14: 48.3"      '12-13: 34.1"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Niko

Posted 26 September 2018 - 06:27 AM

Niko

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5345 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

Luckily, no fatalities w yesterdays tornado in southern parts of SEMI. Damages were definitely reported though.

• jaster220 likes this

Niko

Posted 27 September 2018 - 05:35 AM

Niko

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5345 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

It was confirmed by the NWS that multiple tornadoes were reported in Monroe and Wayne counties w this severe weather that passed on by Tuesday night. Yikes! Luckily, they did not make it north where I am.

• jaster220 likes this

Niko

Posted 06 October 2018 - 04:29 AM

Niko

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5345 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

Severe weather is looking likely IMBY today. It will be a 2 part thunderstorm activity. One in the morning and then, anotha in the latter part of the day. Strong to possibly severe weather is possible, along w flooding issues.