The Weather Forums

September 2020 Observations and Discussion

I picked up 1.23" of rain overnight, better than I thought.  The north side of the metro received over 2 inches.

• Like 5

season snowfall: 0.0"

'19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"      '16-17: 17.9"      '15-16: 20.0"      '14-15: 30.4"      '13-14: 48.3"      '12-13: 34.1"

Average snowfall: ~30"

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Found out last night that an old friend from college passed away yesterday from COVID. Only 40 years old and no other health issues. Unfortunately, he made the decision to go to the Sturgis bike rally

Just looked outside and every roof, car, etc is covered in a thick layer of frost.

Posted Images

BIG changes about to occur here as the storm that's plowing through the Rockies will usher in a dramatic drop in temps for AZ standards.  We may see lows in the upper 60's tomorrow morning when I head to the airport.  Highs tomorrow at PHX are forecast to be in the low 90's!  That's going to feel like Autumn around here...LOL...:P

Meantime, Ol' Man Winter has made its early and vicious return in 2020 for the Rockies.  I'm wondering if these snow fall totals do pan out, could it stay OTG and be the start of the snow base this year?  I think the highest peaks should maintain the snow from here on out.

1.png

• Like 2

It's a cool one out, but the temp is rising fast. There isn't much cloud cover... I think we'll rise higher than expected today. 35.2*F.

>1" Snowfalls for Fargo-Hector Int'l Airport in 2020-21:

Total Snowfall for 2020-2021 @ KFAR: 0.0"            Coldest Low: 30*F (9/9)

First flake of the season:

I just checked my digital rain gauge before more rain recently moved in, (it’s usually pretty accurate) and it shows 1.37” overnight. Looks like another healthy dose of rain/storms moving in. My county ended up doing pretty good and better than here though I’m feeling blessed considering how it was mostly missing me till nearly 3:00 am. This is my first 1”+ from one event since June, probably from that big tropical system on June 9th? I should check to make sure. 

Yes it was my first 1” since June 9.

Edited by Sparky
  • Like 4
27 minutes ago, Tom said:

BIG changes about to occur here as the storm that's plowing through the Rockies will usher in a dramatic drop in temps for AZ standards.  We may see lows in the upper 60's tomorrow morning when I head to the airport.  Highs tomorrow at PHX are forecast to be in the low 90's!  That's going to feel like Autumn around here...LOL...:P

Meantime, Ol' Man Winter has made its early and vicious return in 2020 for the Rockies.  I'm wondering if these snow fall totals do pan out, could it stay OTG and be the start of the snow base this year?  I think the highest peaks should maintain the snow from here on out.

1.png

A foot for Denver if I'm seeing that correctly. Unbelievable it was in the 90s there on Sunday. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, james1976 said:

A foot for Denver if I'm seeing that correctly. Unbelievable it was in the 90s there on Sunday. 

It was in the 90s yesterday as well.

• Like 3

I just ordered a digital rain gauge, but it won't get here until Thursday, so I'm left guessing on rain totals for MBY.  Looks like another inch or so based on reports nearby that I've seen.  It looks like southern Iowa got hit pretty hard last night.  I sure would love to be in Wyoming or Colorado today taking in the sights of that snowstorm.  Amazing stuff.  

• Like 4

Season Snowfall 23.2"

Currently, its a cool 55F w a steady rain. Definitely looks and feels like Autumn out there. Not sure how much rainfall fell, but more than .75" for sure. Lata when I have time, I will check.🌧️

• Like 2

Radar looks impressive. Might catch a break by midday or so, but looks like another batch will be moving on in.

After this rainfall today, I will be looking forward to seeing the new results from the "Drought Monitor."

It's perfectly sunny outside. We may end up skyrocketing past the forecasted high of 54. 43.7*F.

• Like 1

It seems like the rainfall chances today are dwindling. Only about 0.25" here so far and radar doesn't look like you'd expect for a widespread rain event. It looks like the more solid chance will be tomorrow....until that gets pushed to Thursday. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2016-17: 7.5"

2017-18: 21.4"

2018-19: 55.5"

2019-20: 17.6"  

Average: 25.9"

Airport measured 0.9" mostly a preferred soaker type event. Just a few thunder rumbles. Very pleased

• Like 4

Winter 2019-20 Snow Total = 48.0"  Largest Storm: 7" (11/11)        Oct: T Nov: 7.8 Dec: 7.1 Jan: 7.3 Feb: 18.0 Mar: 3.5 Apr: 4.3

Annual avg for mby = 49.7"  Avg for last 10 seasons = 58.4" (118% of normal)

2018-19 = 56.1"  2017-18 = 68.3"   2016-17 = 52"   2015-16 = 57.4"   2014-15 = 55.3"   2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"   2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967

@ Tom

Glad to be coming home to autumn drearyness after all that endless 🌞?? Too much of anything gets old. I've realized that I am definitely a 4 seasons guy thru-n-thru

Winter 2019-20 Snow Total = 48.0"  Largest Storm: 7" (11/11)        Oct: T Nov: 7.8 Dec: 7.1 Jan: 7.3 Feb: 18.0 Mar: 3.5 Apr: 4.3

Annual avg for mby = 49.7"  Avg for last 10 seasons = 58.4" (118% of normal)

2018-19 = 56.1"  2017-18 = 68.3"   2016-17 = 52"   2015-16 = 57.4"   2014-15 = 55.3"   2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"   2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967

7 minutes ago, jaster220 said:

@ Tom

Glad to be coming home to autumn drearyness after all that endless 🌞?? Too much of anything gets old. I've realized that I am definitely a 4 seasons guy thru-n-thru

I'm actually thrilled to be heading home and enjoy the cooler weather.  I've had enough of the 110F+ heat for the year!  We didn't have much of a monsoon locally but parts of the valley got hit good.  I'd like to see some rainy cool days and nights.  I'm itching to make a bonfire and grill some sausages on the fire.  I've spent about 6 months out here this year and it made me realize how much I love the changing seasons.  I wouldn't be able to live out in the desert year round even though the mountains are a stones throw away.

• Like 4

It is looking like for the 2nd day in a row the high for the day will come in the overnight hours. Yesterday the high of 77 occurred just before 2 AM and for today the high so far of 61 occurred at 1 AM. You see this a lot in the cold season but not that often in the warm season. At this time it is cloudy and 56 here and the last reading at GRR was 57.

• Like 1

I’ve had only 1.67” storm total so far as today’s storms somehow managed to mostly miss. Still a very good rainfall. There still are cracks in the lawn. 

A new river of storms has developed from Tx. to IL. etc 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Sparky said:

I’ve had only 1.67” storm total so far as today’s storms somehow managed to mostly miss. Still a very good rainfall. There still are cracks in the lawn. 

A new river of storms has developed from Tx. to IL. etc 

Feeling your pain a little bit, I have picked up about 0.65” of rain today in my backyard even though it seems like we should have picked up much more. 

When you are in a drought you have to be thankful for whatever falls from the sky. Lots of rain chances upcoming to put a dent in this stupid drought.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, jaster220 said:

Airport measured 0.9" mostly a preferred soaker type event. Just a few thunder rumbles. Very pleased

Glad ya picked up some water amigo. 👍

Btw: I'll tell ya, today feels like October w cloudy skies, much cooler readings (not budging from 60F or slightly lower) and on and off sprinkles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Tom said:

Since Sunday night, I was having trouble logging in and this weird error kept popping up that my CAPTCHA settings were invalid.  It was not just on my PC, but on my iPhone and my other laptop.  So, I changed my password and I'm back on.  Something screwy happened during this upgrade.  Forum looks great and I dig the new changes.

Yep, same here, but no biggie. Issue solved!

Still waiting for that 3 to 4 inches the models were spitting out for days.  So far this system has been a big nothing burger down here in St Joseph, Missouri.  Nothing but drizzle so far with showers and thunderstorms likely in the forecast all day.

• Sad 2

Right at one inch of rain for the day in my backyard, nice to get a steady, soaking rain that will help green things up just a bit by the weekend.

Hoping that we can pick up the 1 to 1.5 additional inches of rain that the NWS is predicting here over the next couple of days.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, clintbeed1993 said:

Still waiting for that 3 to 4 inches the models were spitting out for days.  So far this system has been a big nothing burger down here in St Joseph, Missouri.  Nothing but drizzle so far with showers and thunderstorms likely in the forecast all day.

Oh wow you moved 

• Like 2

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

Only 0.50" here since last night. Hopefully better luck tomorrow. I just can't get over how cold it feels! 40s and wet in March usually feels balmy. I still welcome this as relief from the hot summer though. 

• Like 2

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

31 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Looks like C.R. got some more heavy rainfall this evening. Pretty much everything missed me again. I’m up to 1.73” now.

I received 0.61" this evening, which boosts my 3-day total to 2.98".  Models suggest another inch or so through Saturday.

• Like 3

season snowfall: 0.0"

'19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"      '16-17: 17.9"      '15-16: 20.0"      '14-15: 30.4"      '13-14: 48.3"      '12-13: 34.1"

Average snowfall: ~30"

11 hours ago, Niko said:

Yep, same here, but no biggie. Issue solved!

Can you sign in from multiple devices?  That's the problem I'm having.  Try signing out and then back in.  See if it produces an error that your Caps Lock is on.

It's a relatively cool  morning here in Arizona as I prep for my trip back home.  Current temp is 70F under clear skies.  Yesterday, the haze in the skies were about as thick as I've seen them all year round from the intense fires burning in California.  I couldn't believe how much sun was being blocked from the haze.  Wild weather out here in the West.

The temp today is forecast to hit 88F which is the lowest high temp in months!  I'll check back in when I fly back home.  Adios!

• Like 3

The warmup begins today. 33.1*F.

I recorded 0.73" of rain overnight. Yesterdays official high of 61 at Grand Rapids was recorded just after midnight. Even that 61 was the coldest high at GR since May 18th it was also the 3rd coldest high for any September 8th in GR history.  During the day the temperatures stayed in the 50's.  At this time there is some light rain falling and the current temperature both here at my house and at the airport is 51.

• Like 1

Just looked outside and every roof, car, etc is covered in a thick layer of frost.

• Like 6
  • Snow 2

3 hours ago, Tom said:

Can you sign in from multiple devices?  That's the problem I'm having.  Try signing out and then back in.  See if it produces an error that your Caps Lock is on.

I Absolutely can. I am able to sign in from 3 devices.

My advice to you is:  make sure your caps are not on (especially, if your "Caps Lock" does not offer you a light to distinguish if they are on or off) and make sure the password you are using is the same. You might want to double check that. The computer just wants to make sure that you are a human. Also, another important factor is, make sure you are trying to log in w the same email address and not a different one for each device. That will not work for ya. Finally, make sure you sync your settings on all your devices equally. Hope this helps. Good luck!😃

Broke another record rainfall yesterday at the Metro airport, after receiving 1.58" of water, which shattered the old record of 0.91", set back in 1942. Believe it or not, that is our 5th new daily record rainfall since July 1st. Impressive indeed!

• Like 3

Attm, its 61F under cloudy skies. No rainfall to report. No dew to speak of, thankfully. Cool air will remain here for a couple of days w highs in the 60s and lows in the 40s. Hello Autumn!

Btw: Colors to my north is slowly progressing southward!

• Like 2