December 2015 in the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

I think your 90% number is too high. And significant portions of those areas will be within a degree of normal. I'll be happy to post the map at the end of the month and show you how it differs from true coast to coasters.

I know it seems like it sometimes, but the East is not the whole U.S.

Currently, 91.7% of the U.S. is running warm based on a pixel count. I don't understand why this bothers you.

Invoking regional bias on my part is laughable. By that measure, I can argue that the snowfall you've observed this month is skewing your perception of reality, too.

I guess he's technically correct that most of the west didn't "blowtorch", but the definition of a conus blowtorch doesn't imply that every region in the country should experience extreme anomalies. That has never happened in recorded history.

So yes, he's splitting hairs regarding the definition of the term.

There have certainly been coast to coast torches before. Again, happy to show you the maps.

You weren't wrong about this being a very warm month nationally. Good call. But it's not ending up the same as some months where almost everyone has torched. I don't see any reason to dispute that.

A forum for the end of the world.

Snoqualmie pass has now officially recorded the snowiest December on record with over 193 inches.

1968 is the second most snowy December!

Analog!!  

I expect 3 feet of snow and highs in the teens coming up in the next couple days.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Currently, 91.7% of the U.S. is running warm based on a pixel count. I don't understand why this bothers you.

Invoking regional bias on my part is laughable. By that measure, I can argue that the snowfall you've observed this month is skewing your perception of reality, too.

Like I said, by month's end about 2/3 of the US will have truly torched this month. The number is dropping.

Why didn't you wait until the month was over to post the map? Seems like that would have made more sense if you're trying to prove a point about December being a national torch.

There have certainly been coast to coast torches before. Again, happy to show you the maps.

You weren't wrong about this being a very warm month nationally. Good call. But it's not ending up the same as some months where almost everyone has torched. I don't see any reason to dispute that.

image.jpeg

Like I said, by month's end about 2/3 of the US will have truly torched this month. The number is dropping.

Why didn't you wait until the month was over to post the map? Seems like that would have made more sense if you're trying to prove a point about December being a national torch.

Maybe because you were suggesting that a good portion of the nation isn't running above average. I think you underestimated the magnitude of the earlier warmth.

Me too! I have pictures from the first day but none from after that! The snow banks along our driveway were massive. Such an amazing storm!

It'll be interesting to see what happens when I'm back in Salt Lake with El Nino...not really sure what to expect. Hopefully not just a massive disgusting inversion. 

I still had a flip phone during that timeframe and the camera was horrible on it. Nowadays it will be a different story! Another 08 happens and I will have a ton of pictures I'm sure!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Maybe because you were suggesting that a good portion of the nation isn't running above average. I think you underestimated the magnitude of the earlier warmth.

I just said much of the West will end up near or below normal. We've seen far torchier months out here - last winter for example.

It wasn't meant as an argument to your point (national torch), simply an additional, related point. But you took it as oppositional. :)

I think it is fair to say the western 1/3 of the country will end up near to slightly above normal for December, overall, while the eastern 2/3 of the county has epically torched.

Whether or not one decides to call that a coast to coast torch is ultimately a question of semantics, but I can see the reasoning behind refraining. All depends how fine you wish to make the mesh you are casting.

How do you think this December will end up ranking, anomaly wise?

Nationally? I haven't looked at how this December compares to the other warm ones, but I conservatively suspect it'll at least make the top-10, if not the top-5.

I think it is fair to say the western third of the country will end up near to slightly above normal for December, overall, while the eastern 2/3 of the county has epically torched.

Whether or not one decides to call that a coast to coast torch is ultimately a question of semantics, but I can see the reasoning behind refraining. All depends how fine you wish to make the mesh you are casting.

Right. At one point it was looking like the entire West would roast this month (we had anomalies around +10 1/3 of the way through December here), but turning out differently in the end. Heaven forbid I point that out!

Evil sun is behind the ridge now... temp down to 31 and falling with blue sky overhead.    Better yet... the dry air is also here with a dewpoint of 28 and also falling.    The snow cover is safe for another day!  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SEATTLE WA
115 PM PST TUE DEC 29 2015

WAZ001-503-504-506-507-509>512-514-556-558-559-301200-
/O.NEW.KSEW.AS.Y.0002.151231T0600Z-160104T1800Z/
SAN JUAN COUNTY-WESTERN WHATCOM COUNTY-SOUTHWEST INTERIOR-
WESTERN SKAGIT COUNTY-EVERETT AND VICINITY-TACOMA AREA-
ADMIRALTY INLET AREA-HOOD CANAL AREA-LOWER CHEHALIS VALLEY AREA-
EASTERN STRAIT OF JUAN DE FUCA-BELLEVUE AND VICINITY-
SEATTLE AND VICINITY-BREMERTON AND VICINITY-

...AIR STAGNATION ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM WEDNESDAY TO 10 AM
PST MONDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SEATTLE HAS ISSUED AN AIR STAGNATION
ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM WEDNESDAY TO 10 AM PST
MONDAY.

A STRONG RIDGE OF HIGH PRESSURE WILL BUILD INTO THE PACIFIC
NORTHWEST BY LATE THIS WEEK THROUGH EARLY NEXT WEEK. THIS PATTERN
WILL RESULT IN A STRONG TEMPERATURE INVERSION WITH LIGHT
WINDS...WHICH WILL TRAP COLD AIR NEAR THE SURFACE AND CREATE
STAGNANT AIR CONDITIONS. OVERNIGHT LOWS WILL REMAIN IN THE 20S AND
DAYTIME HIGHS IN THE 30S DURING THIS TIME PERIOD.

* AIR QUALITY...POOR AIR QUALITY MAY DEVELOP AS A STRONG
  TEMPERATURE INVERSION IS EXPECTED...WHICH WILL TRAP POLLUTION
  NEAR THE SURFACE.

* IMPACTS...WOOD SMOKE...VEHICLE...OR INDUSTRIAL EMISSIONS MAY
  DEGRADE AIR QUALITY THROUGH THE LATE WEEK AND WEEKEND INTO EARLY
  NEXT WEEK. BURN BANS COULD BE IN EFFECT FOR YOUR AREA. PLEASE
  CONSULT COUNTY OR TRIBAL AUTHORITIES BEFORE BURNING.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

AN AIR STAGNATION ADVISORY INDICATES THAT DUE TO LIMITED MOVEMENT OF
AN AIR MASS ACROSS THE ADVISORY AREA...POLLUTION WILL INCREASE TO
DANGEROUS LEVELS. PERSONS WITH RESPIRATORY ILLNESS SHOULD FOLLOW
THEIR PHYSICIANS ADVICE FOR DEALING WITH HIGH LEVELS OF AIR
POLLUTION.

CHECK WITH YOUR LOCAL AIR QUALITY OR BURN AGENCY FOR POSSIBLE
RESTRICTIONS IN YOUR AREA.

&&

$$

JOHNSON

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE

PST MONDAY...

MONDAY.

NEAR THE SURFACE.

POLLUTION.

&&

$$

JOHNSON

Mmmmmmmmmm... tasty.

Cold weather at the cost of thousands of lives.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE

PST MONDAY...

MONDAY.

NEAR THE SURFACE.

POLLUTION.

&&

$$

JOHNSON

This is a perfect example of every reason we should just love inversions. They are glorious, examples of perfect winter weather and super exciting!! I can hardly wait!!!! I hope lots of people post pictures, it will be amazing. I'm going to hurry to the store now and stock up on food so that I am prepared.

Heading to Leavenworth tomorrow for a day trip, any advice for a good place to have breakfast? Also is there a park or anywhere off the main drag that we could just go play in the snow for a bit? Not too picky since our daughter is only 2 but would be nice to not be having fun on the side of the road in the dirty sandy snow haha!

The upcoming sun and cold temps will be nice. Could string together several highs in the 30s starting today. Great time to get out and enjoy some winter activities.

30's aren't in play tomorrow, unless you're banking on tons of low clouds start to finish.

30's aren't in play tomorrow, unless you're banking on tons of low clouds start to finish.

MOS guidance shows a high of 38 for PDX tomorrow, and it was too warm for today (showed 41-42). We shall see.

Honestly if we see any clearing tonight and gradients stay light a bunch of low clouds and fog wouldn't surprise me.

Not that it matters much either way. Some enjoyable chilly and dry winter weather on the way.

MOS guidance shows a high of 38 for PDX tomorrow, and it was too warm for today (showed 41-42). We shall see.

Honestly if we see any clearing tonight and gradients stay light a bunch of low clouds and fog wouldn't surprise me.

Assuming a low of 34 or 35 and a little clearing tomorrow, which is a good bet, should get peoples into the 40's.

She says "what the heck is wrong with this snow"?    She wanted to make a snowman but its not so easy with frozen hard snow.   She also failed to throw a snowball at me when I informed her making a snowman was not going to happen.  

921196_916525885082287_16030092315532574

Not sure about breakfast but if you are there for lunch, going to Munchen Haus is a must! It's the outdoor bar-type area with open fires nestled in the middle of the tables (kids welcome). Amazing brats and good beer! Also, although I have never been and don't quite know how to get down there, there is a waterfront park just down from the main drag that follows the river. Might be worth checking out.

Love that area. Go every year.

Awesome! Thanks so much for the info, looking forward to tomorrow! Just hope its not too crowded.

Hasn't gotten above freezing at my house for 6 days now. Today the high was 27...."supposed" to be 15 tonight. We'll see....the timing of the colder temps keeps getting pushed back. The night before last we picked up another 5" of snow...bringing the total on the ground to around 20" or so. Ive never seen compact snow and ice last so long on the roads in my life. We drove to Colville today and there were epic mounds of snow in the median of the roadway though Colville. The city was actively removing the snow with a front loader and dump truck. 

I am beginning to realize how challenging this amount of snow on the ground can be. I don't own a snow plow, for the quad or my truck. Guess I'll be investing on one of those in the near future. On another note, some stranger has been plowing my driveway (all 400 yards of it!)....I need to give him a bottle of jack for that! :D. The icicles hanging off the eves of my roof are epic....theres one thats gotta be about 3 feet long and growing. Kids thought it was a good idea to knock most of them off  :angry: , I told them NO leave them and well see how big they get. 

• Like 1

Heading to Leavenworth tomorrow for a day trip, any advice for a good place to have breakfast? Also is there a park or anywhere off the main drag that we could just go play in the snow for a bit? Not too picky since our daughter is only 2 but would be nice to not be having fun on the side of the road in the dirty sandy snow haha!

Yeah... the snow in the park in the main square of town is probably very dirty and packed down.   Need to find a place with fresh snow.

http://s30.postimg.org/aaj7silox/cam.jpg

She says "what the heck is wrong with this snow"? She wanted to make a snowman but its not so easy with frozen hard snow. She also failed to throw a snowball at me when I informed her making a snowman was not going to happen.

921196_916525885082287_16030092315532574

"But daddy, I thought us upper middle class snobs NEVER had to live with disappointment?"

• Like 3