December 2015 in the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

Especially with all the snow cover from the west side foothills all the way east.

Indeed.  That heavy snow cover will likely play a role.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It's typically imperative things turn over at least once over there early on if you want something really special and homegrown. December 2005 and so on... Not sure if that's in the cards. WRF does show things clearing out over there as the cut off comes into play but I consider that a little suspect.

Good point.  I would really like to see this one go all the way, but a few things have to go right.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Yeah, it's occurring a good two weeks ahead of schedule. Some very odd s**t ongoing right now, actually.

The Cascades getting epic snowfall the past two weeks with a Nino of this magnitude certainly shows something is whacked.  The few days of very high SOI last week also caught my eye.  In general SOI has been much higher than would normally be seen with such warm ENSO SSTs.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Quite an epic cold pool on the GFS/WRF. WRF shows strong east wind through day 7-8 and probably longer looking at the overall pattern. Wind Advisory for gusts 45-55mph east of I-205 likely. GFS shows possible pattern change after day 10. 00z GEM gives PDX an ice storm day 9-10. Looks like fun times ahead.

28 currently here. Will be nice to transition to frozen ground for a while, my yard was getting very squishy. I should be able to mow the entire 2 acres possibly by the end of the weekend as long as the daytime temp gets to about 35 degrees.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

28 currently here. Will be nice to transition to frozen ground for a while, my yard was getting very squishy. I should be able to mow the entire 2 acres possibly by the end of the weekend as long as the daytime temp gets to about 35 degrees.

You will probably be the only one in WA mowing this weekend.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Getting lots of reports from friends of a fairly significant earthquake in Bellingham.

Preliminary report is 4.8 5 miles North of Victoria.

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

In bigger news, PDX just hit 32 for the first time this month.

Huge news

2013/2014 Winter season

Coldest Low: 14 F December 7th

Coldest High: 27.3 F December 7th

Coldest Wind chill: 5 F December 7th

Lowest Dew Point: -2.2 F December 6th

Days below freezing: 5

Total Snowfall: 11 inches

Most snowfall in a Day: 8 inches

Days With Snow: 3

Didn't feel the earthquake but had fallen asleep before it happened so I have no idea if I would have felt it or not. Anyway currently 27 degrees and frosty!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Crystal clear here... going to be a very bright sunny day.

06Z GFS brings in rain by the middle of the next week.   And it would be rain with 850mb temps above +3C.   That would break up the inversion.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

This ridging pattern is being shortened in the models.   The 12Z GFS actually shows rain in places already on Sunday.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/gfs/12/gfs_namer_105_precip_p03.gif

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Victoria BC where the earthquake occurred close by had the temp rise from 30 F to 36 F right around midnight when the quake happend, then dropped right after to 28 F all under clear skies. Hours before it was right around freezing till the Earthquake.

1:00am Mainly Clear. (28F )

12:00amMainly Clear. (36F)

11:00pm.Mainly Clear. 30F

10:00pm Mainly Clear. 32F

9:00pm Mainly Clear. 30F

8:00pm Mainly clear. 30F

• Like 1

2013/2014 Winter season

12Z GFS shows what looks like a warm, wet pattern getting close by Monday... just 5 days away.  Starting to think our dry period is going to be very short-lived.  

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/gfs/12/gfs_namer_132_precip_p03.gif

This ridging pattern is being shortened in the models.   The 12Z GFS actually shows rain in places already on Sunday.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/gfs/12/gfs_namer_105_precip_p03.gif

That's freezing rain or snow for the Portland area.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

That's freezing rain or snow for the Portland area.

Impossible for snow... 850mb temps are WAY too warm.    Might be freezing rain or drizzle if cold air is trapped at the surface near the Gorge. 

It will be interesting if we go straight back into a wet pattern.

Does seem like it will turn super wet... most of the energy will likely end up diving towards CA.    I think the next couple months will be quite wet down there with the Nino finally delivering rain/snow for them.

But an endless building inversion does not seem likely now.   Occasionally wet up here is a good bet later next week.

Does seem like it will turn super wet... most of the energy will likely end up diving towards CA.    I think the next couple months will be quite wet down there with the Nino finally delivering rain/snow for them.

But an endless building inversion does not seem likely now.   Occasionally wet up here is a good bet later next week.

As you say, 12z GFS opens up the storm train door once again early next week lasting through the run. Still doesn't look Nino'ish to me.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

As you say, 12z GFS opens up the storm train door once again early next week lasting through the run. Still doesn't look Nino'ish to me.

I just think it will end up more splitty and focused on CA than the 12Z GFS shows.   

2013/2014 Winter season

12Z Canadian sends all the energy and precip down through CA all the way until the end of the run with split flow up here.     The definition of an El Nino pattern.

Didn't feel the quake, was sleeping but...its currently snowing here oddly enough. Light coating of white on lawns and cars.

Yea, my wife just called me and said it was snowing lightly on her way to work.  Nothing falling here at the house though.  You could see some light snow flurries forming over the Strait of Georgia Late last evening. 

Victoria BC where the earthquake occurred close by had the temp rise from 30 F to 36 F right around midnight when the quake happend, then dropped right after to 28 F all under clear skies. Hours before it was right around freezing till the Earthquake.

1:00am Mainly Clear. (28F )

12:00amMainly Clear. (36F)

11:00pm.Mainly Clear. 30F

10:00pm Mainly Clear. 32F

9:00pm Mainly Clear. 30F

8:00pm Mainly clear. 30F

Well that makes no sense...