December 2015 in the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

What I've learned over the last month is that the Lord is good!

Good lord.....

• Like 3

2013/2014 Winter season

Coldest Low: 14 F December 7th

Coldest High: 27.3 F December 7th

Coldest Wind chill: 5 F December 7th

Lowest Dew Point: -2.2 F December 6th

Days below freezing: 5

Total Snowfall: 11 inches

Most snowfall in a Day: 8 inches

Days With Snow: 3

60s is just plain comfortable weather. Boring, regardless of season.

Uncomfortable weather is what revs my weenie engine!

60s can feel downright nipply after a big heatwave, just like they can feel pretty subtropical after a cold spell.

But I know what you mean. It is possible for PDX to see highs in the mid-60s literally any month of the year, historically. You can't say that about any other temperature range. A true thermal middle ground!

Next week looks quite windy on the 18z. 981mb just off the NW tip of WA state on Monday and a 976mb following the same route on Wednesday. Fun times.

Where the hell is our deep western trough??

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

.SHORT TERM...FORECAST HIGH WINDS HAVE NOT YET DEVELOPED. GRADIENTS

ARE EASING UPWARD BUT SO FAR HIGH WIND IS LOOKING LESS LIKELY THAN
MODELS INDICATED THIS MORNING. WILL ALLOW THE HIGH WIND WARNING TO
KEEP GOING AT LEAST A FEW MORE HOURS IN CASE THERE IS A SURPRISE OF
SOME SORT. THERE SHOULD HAVE BEEN STRONG WINDS ON THE COAST BY NOW
BUT THE OBSERVED WINDS ARE SUB SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY STRENGTH. A SMALL
AREA OF INTENSE SURFACE PRESSURE GRADIENT COULD STILL DEVELOP AND
MOVE ACROSS THE AREA...GIVING A FEW HOURS OF HIGH WIND TO NEARLY
EVERYWHERE. 

There is a little one following the 986mb going into N CA/ID next Friday but even that is dead and gone by Saturday. Definitely no big western trough as advertised on earlier runs as the pattern looks too progressive. Can't get everything round these parts, I guess. Windstorms or troughs - take your pick.

18z GFS has plenty of chilly weather and western troughing.

• Like 1

SEA tied a record high from 1965 today.

Any thoughts on that year being any sort of analog?   

Seriously white Christmas in my area that year during a fairly strong Nino.   

Palmer (elevation 920 feet) near my location had 18 inches of snow on Christmas Eve in 1965 and then another 18 inches of snow on 12/27/1965.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I hate Aaron Rodgers.

lol was not expecting that ending.

2013/2014 Winter season

Coldest Low: 14 F December 7th

Coldest High: 27.3 F December 7th

Coldest Wind chill: 5 F December 7th

Lowest Dew Point: -2.2 F December 6th

Days below freezing: 5

Total Snowfall: 11 inches

Most snowfall in a Day: 8 inches

Days With Snow: 3

In completely unrelated weather news, Stone Temple Pilots front man Scott Weiland was found dead on his tour bus tonight

Just saw that on Facebook and was wondering if it was real or not. Sad.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Going to be a mild next week. Some 50+ lows and river flooding would be fun. 

How would you personally experience river flooding?   Watching the news?   Thrilling.  

We had some pretty intense rainfall but winds pretty much went calm during the "warning" period. Fine with me, my rescue dogs were able to land at Paine Field and all is well. Sounds like we might have a few different possible wind events coming up next week, then snow by Christmas.

A typically active December pattern.   Hopefully the timing works out for colder weather around Christmas.

Brady fan.

Huge Ryan Mallett fan here.    

New Dehli and Mumbai seem like wonderful places to live.   

Womens' golf is the bestest sport of all.  

Being a contrarian is super fun!

The same way you would while you bawled your eyes out over it? 

Bawled my eyes out?   I live at 1,100 feet.   And the river floods all the time.   

Side note - I had to re-download some climate files tonight because my hard drive crashed.   I was sorting the Palmer data and noticed that 11/6/2006 was the highest rainfall total ever and by a long shot... 8.1 inches that day.   It was sort of scary for the people living below us.   And the fact that my then 5-year old boys were stuck at school on the other side of the river.

You just like to throw out river flooding to get a rise out of me.  Its not something that people 'enjoy'.   Its just part of life near a river... and more so for a river near mountains.    It does not bother me in the least bit.   I am surprised it does not flood more.   I have actually started to welcome those intense rain periods because they usually mean nicer weather is coming.   Better when the rain is focused... way better than getting .25 a day forever.

Huge Ryan Mallett fan here.    

New Dehli and Mumbai seem like wonderful places to live.   

Womens' golf is the bestest sport of all.  

Being a contrarian is super fun!

Not sure what the jibber jabber here is about, but your adoration of Brady is egregious and foul.

The Packers are a pretty likeable group for the most part. Not their fault they have historically dominated poorly run organizations in certain neighboring states. 

Not sure what the jibber jabber here is about, but your adoration of Brady is egregious and foul.

The Packers are a pretty likeable group for the most part. Not their fault they have historically dominated poorly run organizations in certain neighboring states. 

My adoration of Brady?

Bawled my eyes out?   I live at 1,100 feet.   And the river floods all the time.   

Side note - I had to re-download some climate files tonight because my hard drive crashed.   I was sorting the Palmer data and noticed that 11/6/2006 was the highest rainfall total ever and by a long shot... 8.1 inches that day.   It was sort of scary for the people living below us.   And the fact that my then 5-year old boys were stuck at school on the other side of the river.

You just like to throw out river flooding to get a rise out of me.  Its not something that people 'enjoy'.   Its just part of life near a river... and more so for a river near mountains.    It does not bother me in the least bit.   I am surprised it does not flood more.   I have actually started to welcome those intense rain periods because they usually mean nicer weather is coming.   I like to focus the rain... way better than getting .25 a day forever.

My casual flooding remark made no mention or direction towards you actually.  The armchair psychologist in me would wager that you're projecting your own preciptation induced paranoia a bit here, not sure where else the need for a stringent rebuttal would stem from to a post that was completely nondescript.

Another warm spike on Tuesday... with pineapplely rain?

http://old.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts/d/getchart/catalog/products/forecasts/medium/deterministic/msl_uv850_z500!Geopotential%20500%20hPa%20and%20Temperature%20at%20850%20hPa!120!North%20America!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2015120400!!chart.gif

Odd-looking pattern follows that... probably decent enough weather.   Hopefully the ski resorts are open.

http://old.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts/d/getchart/catalog/products/forecasts/medium/deterministic/msl_uv850_z500!Geopotential%20500%20hPa%20and%20Temperature%20at%20850%20hPa!216!North%20America!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2015120400!!chart.gif