July 2016 Observation and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

I think you are misreading the situation for the PNW.

I don't think the troughing will be dominant or deep after the weekend system. Maybe through August and into September. This kind of troughing during the first half of July makes that even more likely.

This makes no sense, because I didn't mention "deep troughing" in that post. All I said was height were/are primed to rise offshore once again in mid/late July, based on the physical realities of the situation.

If you're going to argue against high heights over the NPAC, you'd better have a good reason for it.

This makes no sense, because I didn't mention "deep troughing" in that post. All I said was height were/are primed to rise offshore once again in mid/late July, based on the physical realities of the situation.

If you're going to argue against high heights over the NPAC, you'd better have a good reason for it.

Nope... not arguing against that. Just that the result here will be nothing like the early July troughing.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Nope... not arguing against that. Just that the result here will be nothing like the early July troughing.

I can't disagree with this, I guess. Too vague.

I suspect there will be a brief reprieve in the deeper troughing (poleward AAM propagation..has to go somewhere), but persistent ridging will probably be hard to come by, and more troughing is likely later in the month.

• Like 1

Beautiful retrogression now showing up in the d11-15 00z EPS. It now has troughing resuming by day 13-14, temperatures never really warm above average through the run.

• Like 1

Just got out on the lake this morning to do a little quiet me time fishing...and the PSCZ decides to join me. That and some moron decides to light an M-80 at 6:30am. I'm going back to bed.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Guest Winterdog

Just got out on the lake this morning to do a little quiet me time fishing...and the PSCZ decides to join me. That and some moron decides to light an M-80 at 6:30am. I'm going back to bed.

I was going to "like" this post but I feel badly that your fishing time was ruined. It's drizzling heavily here adding to the 1/3 inch in the cup since Saturday.
  • Like 1

Thicknesses drop below 546 next weekend on the 12z GFS.  Unquestionably much below normal!

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

12z GFS says Portland's July 1983 2.68" of rainfall record is in jeopardy...

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

12z ECMWF calls off the warm-up, keeps troughing and below average temperatures in place through d10. Still priming for offshore height rises.

splillo

QBO still in process of shifting nearly 180 degrees out of phase from the oscillation we've observed for decades https://t.co/VCtgcN1HQv

04/07/16 12:17 pm

splillo

This is showing up in all reanalysis datasets. Just about a long enough signal to call this a major re-alignment of the QBO

04/07/16 12:19 pm

splillo

Re-alignment of QBO phase has major implications for any long range model guidance using a prescribed QBO

04/07/16 12:22 pm

What does this mean for winter? Snow in the lowlands?

• Like 1

splillo

QBO still in process of shifting nearly 180 degrees out of phase from the oscillation we've observed for decades https://t.co/VCtgcN1HQv

04/07/16 12:17 pm

splillo

This is showing up in all reanalysis datasets. Just about a long enough signal to call this a major re-alignment of the QBO

04/07/16 12:19 pm

splillo

Re-alignment of QBO phase has major implications for any long range model guidance using a prescribed QBO

04/07/16 12:22 pm

What does this mean for winter? Snow in the lowlands?

Long story short, in this case it means another +QBO winter, which in La Niña favors stronger NPAC blocking. Very, very interesting stuff ongoing right now. Not just with the QBO, either.

We're now observing the most anomalous -IOD/-AMO circulations/SSTA signatures (relative to global average) in several decades. I guess some of this isn't surprising given we're on the cusp of several multidecadal base state flips, QBO aside.

Also FWIW, solar cycle 24 appears to be collapsing with high polar field asymmetry, which is somewhat unusual considering that weak solar cycles are typically longer in duration. Could mean a number of things, depending on how you interpret it.

Will be fun to watch things develop going forward.

• Like 1

Long story short, in this case it means another +QBO winter, which in La Niña favors stronger NPAC blocking. Very, very interesting stuff ongoing right now. Not just with the QBO, either.

We're now observing the most anomalous -IOD/-AMO circulations/SSTA signatures (relative to global average) in several decades. I guess some of this isn't surprising given we're on the cusp of several multidecadal base state flips, QBO aside.

Also FWIW, solar cycle 24 appears to be collapsing with high polar field asymmetry, which is somewhat unusual considering that weak solar cycles are typically longer in duration. Could mean a number of things, depending on how you interpret it.

Very exciting times indeed.  Some of these developments could have major implications and could easily mean a much overdue regime shift for the West.  The solar is going to be most interesting to monitor.  Assuming we are still 3 to 4 years from the minimum we could easily be looking at Dalton minimum type numbers going forward.  The most exciting possibility is that in spite of the high asymmetry we are still years from solar min.  Apparently the asymmetry is the most extreme witnessed in the modern era by quite a margin.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I plan on doing a post tonight or tomorrow which illustrates the past 3 solar minimums have brought the coldest and or snowiest winters to the NW since we transitioned out of the cold phase after 1975.  Pretty compelling stuff!

• Like 4

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

On Lake Couer D'Alene... packed restaurant patio at Rockford Bay. Waiting to check into our house rental. Absolutely gorgeous here... 75 and mostly sunny. Could not be nicer. Awesome 4th of July.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Ugly day! Off and on sprinkles still and about 55 degrees. Yuck.

I would send a pic of the scene here but it would make you mad. :)

LIA redux for the PNW? ;)

LIA redux for the PNW? ;)

We can always hope!

In all seriousness with the post El Nino backlash in combination with the extraordinary solar minimum that is unfolding we could be in for it.  The QBO is a huge wildcard due to the fact the extreme negative phases in that index over the past few decades have come at the same time as our January woes.  A major shakeup with the QBO could be part of what we need to finally move on.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I'll be interested to see tomorrow what this rain amount will be. Today I got .15" before 5PM. I'm interested to see what I will get compared to last July. There's one thing for sure though, there are no drought worries!

It is rainy over there? Totally cleared out this afternoon over here.

I was gonna say. Aren't you guys still in a stage four drought?

The weather is much different. It rains lots here, and it's much drier there. It's also much drier only about 30 minutes away from me. I think it's because of the mountains being close to me that I get much more rain.