August 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Geos

The clearest way to get your message across is to diss someone in front of everybody and you did just that Jesse. This will be my last post ever on this forum. It was great talking to everybody about weather. I wish you all the best. Maybe I'm just sensitive but I'm crying right now and I don't want to feel this way ever again.

:mellow:

The mood in here swings with every model cycle. Gonna be some frayed nerves with this one, even more so than with the late July retrogression.

Just FWIW, the forcing out of the WPAC has a history of leading to catastrophic short range modeling fails, given the longitude of the corresponding WAF field(s). Most likely will be another one of those "fails" later this month.

• Like 1

The mood in here swings with every model cycle. Gonna be some frayed nerves with this one, even more so than with the late July retrogression.

Just FWIW, the forcing out of the WPAC has a history of leading to catastrophic short range modeling fails, given the longitude of the corresponding WAF field(s). Most likely will be another one of those "fails" later this month.

Now who sounds like they're trying to fly above the fray?

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Now who sounds like they're trying to fly above the fray?

Touché, but at least I don't try to reputation-build off it 24/7.. :)

Yeeeeeeeeeah, you kinda do.

Must be a marine layer thing...

So transparent. Would've expected better than "I'm rubber you're glue" from our coveted lawyer, but whatever.

So transparent. Would've expected better than "I'm rubber you're glue" from our coveted lawyer, but whatever.

I think transparency is a good thing be it here, the mountains of western Maryland or the suburbs of Stampede Pass.

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

SEA is at +0.6 for the month now. WFO SEA is also at +0.6 and Bellingham is at +1.3

OLM is at -0.8

So the same phenomenon is occurring in August where the stations in the Puget Sound region are warmer than places to the south. I am assuming places like Victoria and Vancouver BC are also warmer than normal.

Different month... different pattern... same result in Western WA.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I think transparency is a good thing be it here, the mountains of western Maryland or the suburbs of Stampede Pass.

Lol.

Persistent westerly ZW anomalies around 90E w/ easterly ZW anomalies along/E of the dateline. LowFreq convergent maximum is around 150E, as is typical of Niña, but once off equator, things get quite hairy.

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/ventrice/real_time/timeLon/u.anom.30.5S-5N.gif

Why is that? November owns March out here as far as winter weather potential, while the opposite is true east of the Rockies.

For some reason in November I average less snow in Klamath Falls than in March, even though November is more capable of cold/arctic events.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 22
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 5/6, 5/7
5/8, 5/15, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

For some reason in November I average less snow in Klamath Falls than in March, even though November is more capable of cold/arctic events.

Getting cold onshore flow is more common in March, which would favor your area.

November cold events are probably generally more moisture starved over there. Just shooting from the hip here.

• Like 1

Getting cold onshore flow is more common in March, which would favor your area.

November cold events are probably generally more moisture starved over there. Just shooting from the hip here.

Going from experience last 5 years here, November certainly is a far drier month out of the two.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 22
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 5/6, 5/7
5/8, 5/15, 

Severe storms: 2