September 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Geos

Weather geek alert! Brookings on the southern Oregon coast hit 100 degrees today and it is still 91 there at 9 PM.

It's the same weather pattern that will have us so warm tomorrow (85-90)

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getobext.php?sid=KBOK&table=1&banner=off

Unlikely we see offshore flow tomorrow.

• Like 1

Weather geek alert! Brookings on the southern Oregon coast hit 100 degrees today and it is still 91 there at 9 PM.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getobext.php?sid=KBOK&table=1&banner=off

Astoria Syndrome (AS).

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

The WRF is no doubt about it cool Wednesday night through Sunday.  Two really chilly nights and all days cool during the period.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It appears the thermal trough reached it's peak well south of us this time.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The ECMWF is colder looking than the GFS.  850s are around zero down to Seattle on day 10.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

We should all feel safe knowing Leonardo Decaprio and Obama are meeting on climate change.  According to Leo's little speech at the Academy Awards they had to go to the Southern Hemisphere to find snow for the movie he was shooting.  This was during winter in Northern Hemisphere.  Sounds a bit fishy to me....

Looking into it deeper he actually says he witnessed climate change first hand in Alberta!  Turns out he witnessed nothing more than a Chinook wind, but he apparently still doesn't get that.  God help us....

I'm still wondering how they went to Argentina to find snow while it was summer down there. :lol:

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Watch out for midnight lows...DP at 48.

The +8 stands from yesterday... no midnight low.   

SEA is now at -0.4 for the month and might be right about normal after tomorrow.  

WFO SEA is tracking well with SEA at -0.5... while Bellingham is up to +0.7 now.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Ironically it looks like another month that has deep troughing early on... July, August, and September all had the coldest anomalies of the month in the first week at SEA.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Don't like the trend in the GFS/GEFS to initiate an Alaskan/GOA vortex in mid-October. Hopefully just a blip or transient development.

GFS/GEFS are throwing subsidence across the EHEM in the LR, while the EPS/GGEM ensembles have a standing wave @ 150E. Talk about model disagreement. :lol:

Midwest and East are due for some longer duration troughing.

I'm considering witchcraft. Have been sitting under a ridge since Memorial Day.

Modest NPAC jet extension still looks probable, starting around d10 +/- a few days. Question is, how does the pattern evolve from there?

We could fall into a +EPO/-AO type pattern (ugly) or the antecedent block could assist/force a cyclonic wavebreak response, maintaining EPO/GOA ridging (awesomeness).

Mkay, really starting to hate yellow jackets, and bees in general. When is *FALL* gonna kick in? :P

October is so close yet so far away. September has gotta be at least #1 or #2 worst bee month in Klamath. 

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Mkay, really starting to hate yellow jackets, and bees in general. When is *FALL* gonna kick in? :P

October is so close yet so far away. September has gotta be at least #1 or #2 worst bee month in Klamath.

*FALL* has been here. Your area has been well below average his month. See map I posted above. ;)

• Like 1

*FALL* has been here. Your area has been well below average his month. See map I posted above. ;)

Even so, I still had some highs in the 80's (including today). I officially will start calling it Fall when I am consistently into the 50's-60's and have scattered showers. :P

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

Even so, I still had some highs in the 80's (including today). I officially will start calling it Fall when I am consistently into the 50's-60's and have scattered showers. :P

Fall is a dynamic season. A record cold September would still be warmer than even a normal October. At least that's the case up here.

• Like 1

I think I heard something about Vancouver, BC in there.

Intriguing.  He's usually not this confident this far out.  

What is his track record???   Can we count on this forecast?   Thankfully he did not mention Seattle.   I  am thinking this means a warm conveyor belt situation with Seattle on the warm, dry side.   I am going with that.  

Given his very cold and snowy forecast for Minnesota and North Dakota and Wiscooooooooosin... I think we are looking at a western ridge /  Midwest trough situation in 2016-17.    Basically agreeing with Bastardi.

This is sort of how I imagine some people on here when it comes to cold and snow.   :)

Winter is coming... winter is coming.   Going to be a lot of snow.    Going to be a lot of snow.  

What is his track record???   Can we count on this forecast?   Thankfully he did not mention Seattle.   I  am thinking this means a warm conveyor belt situation with Seattle on the warm, dry side.   I am going with that.  

This is sort of how I imagine some people on here when it comes to cold and snow.   :)

Winter is coming... winter is coming.   Going to be a lot of snow.    Going to be a lot of snow.  

Frantic edits!!!  

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Fall is a dynamic season. A record cold September would still be warmer than even a normal October. At least that's the case up here.

I can have a few warm October days but overall the month does average much colder than September. Here I personally categorize September as a 4th meteorological summer month due to the prolonged and consistent "nothingness" that happens. Sometimes I don't even manage a trace of rain in the whole month of September.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

Frantic edits!!!  

No... I just watched it again and gleaned some more important information about a cold Midwest.   I think this is this is very meaningful to our forecast.  :)

Big picture Matt... big picture.

He just said that it is going to rain a lot in Vancouver, BC.

WE ARE SCREWED.

It's over

2013/2014 Winter season

Coldest Low: 14 F December 7th

Coldest High: 27.3 F December 7th

Coldest Wind chill: 5 F December 7th

Lowest Dew Point: -2.2 F December 6th

Days below freezing: 5

Total Snowfall: 11 inches

Most snowfall in a Day: 8 inches

Days With Snow: 3