2016 Fall Off Topic Thread AKA Football or Politics

MossMan

Yeah. Doesn't seem like a very good analogy for what we were talking about.

I just don't think you want to address it. It was a pretty classic presidential diversionary tactic at a time where taking a more calculated and pragmatic approach would have probably cost him votes a couple months later.

It's okay to acknowledge Obama had some serious flaws. They won't pull your card.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

A healthy press that remains as objective as reasonably able given human limitations is necessary as a bulwark against the tendency of centralized government to engage in propaganda to further their interests at the expense of an ignorant or misled public. It's not that the press needs to oppose Trump because he's Trump, so long as the veracity of statements made by his administration can be corroborated there's no issue. But the American people...and the health of a republic...demands that the leadership be held accountable and that demonstrable lies be revealed as such.

Yep.

The world according to Trump will never go unchallenged.     

That having been said I can't blame him for fuming about the media right now. Attacking his son on top of attacking him. Just pointless.

He will not be allowed to create his own reality just because he is president.

And please cite examples of the media attacking his son.    I saw one inappropriate tweet from an SNL writer.       Tell me why Trump should be "fuming" at this?   

The media is going to endlessly hound him on misrepresentations and highlight issues that he would rather we all ignore.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I just don't think you want to address it. It was a pretty classic presidential diversionary tactic at a time where taking a more calculated and pragmatic approach would have probably cost him votes a couple months later.

It's okay to acknowledge Obama had some serious flaws. They won't pull your card.

Good lord. :lol: Of course I acknowledge that he did. Do you realize I didn't vote for his democratic predecessor?

Still doesn't make Benghazi a good analogy for what we were talking about originally.

Good lord. :lol: Of course I acknowledge that he did. Do you realize I didn't vote for his democratic predecessor?

Still doesn't make Beghazi a good analogy for what we were talking about originally.

It's Bengahzi.

I guess I don't see how with the amount of information which was later found to be on hand prior to 9-11-12 you can't see the immediate handling of that event on the stump was a pretty blatant diversionary tactic. "Look here at this offensive video! Man, these people really overreact to stuff!"

Yep.

The world according to Trump will never go unchallenged.     

He will not be allowed to create his own reality just because he is president.

And please cite examples of the media attacking his son.    I saw one inappropriate tweet from an SNL writer.       Tell me why Trump should be "fuming" at this?   

The media is going to endlessly hound him on misrepresentations and highlight issues that he would rather we all ignore.  

Trump is used to being the boss...people don't question him. He hasn't developed a thick skin and emotionally he's quite juvenile. One thing being said for career politicians ascending to POTUS is that they've developed a thick-skin...they can shrug off criticism from detractors...they've learned to work with a variety of different groups/factions and know the value of compromise as well as what can be compromised and where they should dig their heels in and not waver. Trump has none of those abilities and seems to have arrived at the White House thinking he will run America as he ran his real estate and media empire...but that isn't going to work. We are not employees of Trump Inc., we are American citizens and the government belongs to every one of us.

• Like 2

The Pacific Northwest: Where storms go to die.

Trump is used to being the boss...people don't question him. He hasn't developed a thick skin and emotionally he's quite juvenile. One thing being said for career politicians ascending to POTUS is that they've developed a thick-skin...they can shrug off criticism from detractors...they've learned to work with a variety of different groups/factions and know the value of compromise as well as what can be compromised and where they should dig their heels in and not waver. Trump has none of those abilities and seems to have arrived at the White House thinking he will run America as he ran his real estate and media empire...but that isn't going to work. We are not employees of Trump Inc., we are American citizens and the government belongs to every one of us.

Great post.

I get that people wanted to "drain the swamp" but they forgot that we need folks who know how to compromise and work for the good of the American people...not a single interest group, or one side of the aisle. Personally, I think a good synergy of those traits could be found in Rand Paul, sure he has his flaws but he has experience in national politics, he knows how to work with different groups in Congress and he also isn't afraid to take on an unpopular position while also explaining to Americans why he holds that position, without coming across as a condescending prick or an angry man-child. The main thing he lacks is the type of charisma and willingness to "wrestle in the mud" that we seem to crave in politics.

How secretly disappointed are you that the the marches yesterday were mostly non-violent? ;)

I'm actually happy about that. They have every right to protest, but why are they?

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I get that people wanted to "drain the swamp" but they forgot that we need folks who know how to compromise and work for the good of the American people...not a single interest group, or one side of the aisle. Personally, I think a good synergy of those traits could be found in Rand Paul, sure he has his flaws but he has experience in national politics, he knows how to work with different groups in Congress and he also isn't afraid to take on an unpopular position while also explaining to Americans why he holds that position, without coming across as a condescending prick or an angry man-child. The main thing he lacks is the type of charisma and willingness to "wrestle in the mud" that we seem to crave in politics.

Fact is, we can't survive without at least some water in the swamp.

• Like 1

I'm glad the Women's marches/protests were non-violent. I think it was great to see demonstrations that were well-planned and peaceful. Over the last decade or maybe longer it seems like we've increasingly seen the violent variety (or perhaps those are the ones whose media coverage gets a lot of clicks and viewers). Anyway if MLK could accomplish what he did through peaceful means I think it's wrong to think that violence is the way to get a message across today.

I'm glad the Women's marches/protests were non-violent. I think it was great to see demonstrations that were well-planned and peaceful. Over the last decade or maybe longer it seems like we've increasingly seen the violent variety (or perhaps those are the ones whose media coverage gets a lot of clicks and viewers). Anyway if MLK could accomplish what he did through peaceful means I think it's wrong to think that violence is the way to get a message across today.

Night and day. Generally, protests during the daylight hours are almost inherently peaceful. The mob mentality feeds on the cover of darkness and while these events in the big cities were clearly well-planned and well-implemented, if they had occurred at night the anarchist element would have insinuated itself.

• Like 3

Night and day. Generally, protests during the daylight hours are almost inherently peaceful. The mob mentality feeds on the cover of darkness and while these events in the big cities were clearly well-planned and well-implemented, if they had occurred at night the anarchist element would have insinuated itself.

Good point.

They don't like Trump.

Well, more to the point they view Trump's policies as a rollback of the gains they've made in the last 30-40 years. Defunding Planned Parenthood is a major part because it's concrete and visible. If you ask them what rights they lost under Trump that they had under Obama, the answer is none.

They don't like Trump.

No offense to anyone who protested, but that's a pretty weak reason to protest. 

Sure, it's your right to protest whatever you want, but given everything that's going on in the world today, not liking the president (who hasn't really done anything yet anyway) is not the most compelling cause. 

A forum for the end of the world.

No offense to anyone who protested, but that's a pretty weak reason to protest. 

Sure, it's your right to protest whatever you want, but given everything that's going on in the world today, not liking the president (who hasn't really done anything yet anyway) is not the most compelling cause. 

Seriously? :lol:

I'm just gonna walk away from this one. Trumps behavior throughout the campaign and now leading up to and continuing after the Inauguration speaks for itself. He is an incredibly divisive figure and he has brought almost all of it upon himself. Feel free to continue to play dumb/Devil's advocate though. It is what you do best. :)

Seriously? :lol:

I'm just gonna walk away from this one.

Seriously. 

A lot of people don't like Trump. The media really doesn't like Trump.

What are these protests accomplishing? Like dewey said, it's a bunch of like-minded people getting together and commiserating. There's nothing wrong with that, but considering some of the other issues our world faces, to spend your time protesting the fair result of an election because you don't like the guy just isn't very compelling to me. Sorry.

I'm open to someone providing a more substantial reason to protest, though.

• Like 1

Seriously. 

What are these protests accomplishing? Like dewey said, it's a bunch of like-minded people getting together and commiserating. There's nothing wrong with that, but considering some of the other issues our world faces, to spend your time protesting the fair result of an election because you don't like the guy just isn't very compelling to me. Sorry.

You really need to go into politics.

How dare anyone question them!

Better yet how dare they question Trump! The guy has been a saint since day one. I just can't wrap my head around anything he has said or done to put people on the defensive/on edge as he ascends to the Presidency. Just one of those weird unexplainable things I guess...

• Like 1

Better yet how dare they question Trump! The guy has been a saint since day one. I just can't wrap my head around anything he has said or done to put people on the defensive/on edge as he ascends to the Presidency. Just one of those weird unexplainable things I guess...

Remember that thing called the middle ground earlier you were trying to find? Might be a good idea right here.

Trump is an egomaniac and a blowhard. I've said that on multiple occasions. I don't think he had the right motivations to become president.

Crazy thing...I can acknowledge that, not like the guy, but still not understand what these protests are supposed to accomplish. 

Remember all the talk about "boy who cried wolf"? I happen to think protests can be overused as well, and should be employed judiciously, with a clear message.

• Like 1

Remember that thing called the middle ground earlier you were trying to find? Might be a good idea right here.

Trump is an egomaniac and a blowhard. I've said that on multiple occasions. I don't think he had the right motivations to become president.

Crazy thing...I can acknowledge that, not like the guy, but still not understand what these protests are supposed to accomplish.

Remember all the talk about "boy who cried wolf"? I happen to think protests can be overused as well, and should be employed judiciously, with a clear message.

I agree with a lot of this. I also don't think peaceful protests the day after his inauguration are too surprising/unjustified given the context of the last year or more. And I think they serve a purpose in telling Trump that the world will not stand for him continuing to be the egomaniacal blowhard he was much the campaign and even beyond, now that he is President of the United States.

Hopefully he gets the message. For all of our sakes.

• Like 1

I agree with a lot of this. I also don't think peaceful protests the day after his inauguration are too surprising/unjustified given the context of the last year or more. And I think they serve a purpose in telling Trump that the world will not stand for him continuing to be the egomaniacal blowhard he was much the campaign and even beyond, now that he is President of the United States.

I'm not surprised by the protests. I just think they kind of feed into the divisive overreaction cycle at this point.

I also don't think there's any new message being sent that Trump is suddenly going to "get". There's no reason to believe he'll change.

Now, if Trump makes a decision as president that endangers or harms the country in some way, I'm all for hitting the streets in protest - just as concerned citizens should under ANY president, whether they voted for him/her or not.

The question is when do you get so far into the law of diminishing returns it begins to boomerang. The BLM already has seen this as I think blowback from said movement is one of the reasons there was just enough of a rip in the space-time continuum to allow Trump to win.

The right to lawfully assemble/protest is sacred and can be effective, just as the right to bear arms is a sacred right. Both are essential to our democratic republic but both can become detrimental to themselves when stretched too far. Repetitive protests with ambiguous messages which consistently become breeding ground for criminal behavior eventually leaves the masses focusing more on the event than the issue the event is supposedly denouncing. Just the same, everyone open carrying AR-15's would detract from focus on a real threat if one were to present itself.

I was also thinking on Friday as I listened to Trump's speech/evisceration of the D.C. status quo, I wondered how that speech would have been received if it was Bernie giving it? About 80% of it to me was right up his alley.

I was also thinking on Friday as I listened to Trump's speech/evisceration of the D.C. status quo, I wondered how that speech would have been received if it was Bernie giving it? About 80% of it to me was right up his alley.

Two fabulous posts! No way to argue with any of that.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Seriously.

This 100%. Talk about first world problems

In 4 years, we'll all get to vote again. Be thankful that you have that right, and that you're living in one of the strongest, most politically free, socially tolerant, and economically empowering countries on the planet. I don't think many Americans (including myself) realize just how good we have it. We're lucky.