October 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

TT-SEA

May end up with a few scattered 30s this morning. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

You have to love the mean placement of the 500mb anomaly centers over the past 4 months.  WA is the only place in the US that has had below normal 500mb heights.  In the winter this would be good for us.

So it will probably move now.   Why would it sit over WA state permanently?   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Geez, I miss a few days and the discussion has gone from wind storm mania to the paradox of nothing.

Yep...boring weather will do that apparently.
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Pretty ugly, splitty pattern coming up. Winter preview.

Need that Indonesian standing wave to propagate towards 150E ASAP. Vibes of 2005/2007 et al with the big +EPO/Pacific hose job, hence frigid air all bottled on the Eurasian side of the pole.

At least no signs of a rabid, O^3-eating PV/+NAM as of yet.

Big cold snap just to our north in mid November. 57 degree rain in Eugene, 37 in Seattle, light snow in Vancouver, BC.

Sounds good!

• Like 1

2013/2014 Winter season

Coldest Low: 14 F December 7th

Coldest High: 27.3 F December 7th

Coldest Wind chill: 5 F December 7th

Lowest Dew Point: -2.2 F December 6th

Days below freezing: 5

Total Snowfall: 11 inches

Most snowfall in a Day: 8 inches

Days With Snow: 3

Well, I don't believe in God. I do believe in other dimensions.

My interpretation of QM theory leads me to believe that we don't exist "within" dimensions, rather that we *are* dimensions. The only local reality is within the so-called "self".

Think of the Schrödinger's cat dilemma, except replace the cat with a human, say, me. Am I dead or alive? From your perspective, I'm in a potential state, but obviously, from my perspective, I'm in an actual state. So, do we just assume this juxtaposition is just another "normal" abnormality on a single dimensional plane, or are we looking at separate planes of reality?

And that's the thing. Whether you think forward or backward in time, you almost have to arrive at infinity. That's a pretty mindblowing thought as well.

Yeah, it's kinda spooky to think about eternity, because humans process information linearly (hence our creation of "time" as a constructive, relativistic conduit to our understanding of the universe, as a substitute for entropy).

In truth (most likely) nothing is "linear", and time (as we know it) is merely a reflection of entropy, either by our own construction, or as a real expression (debatable). Personally, I'm fascinated with circles and curves, and I believe there's a reason they're the only universal expression.

Yeah, it's kinda spooky to think about eternity, because humans process information linearly (hence our creation of "time" as a constructive, relativistic conduit to our understanding of the universe, as a substitute for entropy).

In truth (most likely) nothing is "linear", and time (as we know it) is merely a reflection of entropy, either by our own construction, or as a real expression (debatable). Personally, I'm fascinated with circles and curves, and I believe there's a reason they're the only universal expression.

Its all very interesting. 

Major cooling in the eastern sections of the ENSO regions in the last 7 days... and the PDO is definitely rising.

http://coralreefwatch.noaa.gov/satellite/bleaching5km/images_current/cur_b05kmnn_ssttrend_007d_large.gif

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Major cooling in the eastern sections of the ENSO regions in the last 7 days... and the PDO is definitely rising.

http://coralreefwatch.noaa.gov/satellite/bleaching5km/images_current/cur_b05kmnn_ssttrend_007d_large.gif

Is a +PDO bad for us? I can't remember. 

Generally, a persistent +PDO pattern is not conducive to cold weather in the PNW. Especially Oct-Apr. See the past couple years.

The +PDO Is a dry pattern for California, right?

The +PDO Is a dry pattern for California, right?

+PDO has been associated with rainier winters in CA, especially the southern half of the state, but of course not every +PDO winter is wet. The vast majority of the late 1970's to the late 1990's was +PDO. There is often an increase in El Nino years during the +PDO phase, at least more recently. I am not quite sure how wet or dry +PDO is for the PNW, though.

Welp...saw the sun for about a half hour late this morning, cloud deck has definitely gotten lower now. I really miss the excitement of last week. I want a 2006-07 repeat, that was such an action packed season!!!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Welp...saw the sun for about a half hour late this morning, cloud deck has definitely gotten lower now. I really miss the excitement of last week. I want a 2006-07 repeat, that was such an action packed season!!!

Looks much quieter for the next couple weeks.   Not dry by any means... but drier.   

A break will be nice.   Maybe salvage a little nice weather in October.    10 inches of rain in the last week here... that is enough 'excitement'.   

The only excitement I am looking forward to is snow and cold! 

#bringbacktheblob!

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Looks much quieter for the next couple weeks. Not dry by any means... but drier.

A break will be nice. Maybe salvage a little nice weather in October. 10 inches of rain in the last week here... that is enough 'excitement'.

The only excitement I am looking forward to is snow and cold!

I want it all! Wind, rain, snow, T-Storms, thundersnow, Arctic blasts, blowtorches...I want it all! I'm frothing at the mouth!!! I get the same way in March about wanting sun and warmth...I just can't wait!! Think I've had too much caffeine today.
  • Like 1

I want it all! Wind, rain, snow, T-Storms, thundersnow, Arctic blasts, blowtorches...I want it all! I'm frothing at the mouth!!! I get the same way in March about wanting sun and warmth...I just can't wait!! Think I've had too much caffeine today.

I think so.  :)

Somehow my phone switched from mobile version to desktop and I can't find where you go to switch it back. I have a Droid. Any help would be appreciated.

It's usually at the far bottom left...at least on my iPhone. Small print

Somehow my phone switched from mobile version to desktop and I can't find where you go to switch it back. I have a Droid. Any help would be appreciated.

Should be at the very bottom of the page in the corner " use mobile version"

2013/2014 Winter season

Coldest Low: 14 F December 7th

Coldest High: 27.3 F December 7th

Coldest Wind chill: 5 F December 7th

Lowest Dew Point: -2.2 F December 6th

Days below freezing: 5

Total Snowfall: 11 inches

Most snowfall in a Day: 8 inches

Days With Snow: 3

For those into folklore stuff, we just found a wooly bear caterpillar on our garage without any stripe. Ice age?!?! :P

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/99FE6664-93B9-4DAB-87A1-C381B986D111_zpsurpsbiag.jpg

• Like 2

Need that Indonesian standing wave to propagate towards 150E ASAP. Vibes of 2005/2007 et al with the big +EPO/Pacific hose job, hence frigid air all bottled on the Eurasian side of the pole.

At least no signs of a rabid, O^3-eating PV/+NAM as of yet.

I think the MJO returning to the MC would be a good thing for us.  The GFS is forecasting a pretty strong venture into Octant 8.  That is probably the root of the sad looking model runs lately.  As I mentioned many times though crappy Novembers are quite normal before our best winters here.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Generally, a persistent +PDO pattern is not conducive to cold weather in the PNW. Especially Oct-Apr. See the past couple years.

I think it was positive during many of the 1980s Arctic blasts though.  The PDO doesn't look all that bad right now anyway.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I think the MJO returning to the MC would be a good thing for us. The GFS is forecasting a pretty strong venture into Octant 8. That is probably the root of the sad looking model runs lately. As I mentioned many times though crappy Novembers are quite normal before our best winters here.

What is your definition of "crappy"? As I'm sure you recall, 2010/11 featured a November blast and went on to deliver another one in February, and flirted with something special in January.