Winter 2016 Medium to Long Range Discussion; 5+ days out

hlcater

Interesting talk from DVN....

.LONG TERM...(Tuesday through Monday) ISSUED AT 326 PM CST Mon Mar 6 2017

Forecast focus on very high winds and extreme/dangerous grass fire conditions for Tuesday and Wednesday. Otherwise, major pattern change with winter roaring back with the potential for several snowstorms within the next 10 days.

• Like 3

Hey, look! Another thing that's going to miss us  :angry: 18z GFS looks about right for here for any wishcasters, but the rogue 9" for just North of Lincoln is really sketchy and is a huge outlier. Hope things trend West, but even then we'd still probably look at an inch of slush.

http://maps1.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/gfs/2017030618/156/snku_acc.us_c.png

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

DSM will go from a Tornado Threat today into a Winter Storm by Saturday.

I do love the wild weather swings here! If memory serves, the DSM airport had a tornado hit the air guard base in the afternoon back in November 2015, and then like five hours later was reporting snow! Made national headlines, I believe in USA Today, so basically to the many hotels that seem to be that papers only subscribers! But that was a wild day!

• Like 1

I think the only chance we have of stopping the snow streak in Chi-town will be in the Monday-Tuesday time frame next week(maybe an inch or two at the most with this system). After that i honestly believe the weather will be on the rebound and that will be the last snow we will see in these parts till next winter.

Maybe

It looks cold for the next two weeks or so

12z euro has 2 snowstorms in the extended yet

Lock it in.... Hopefully doesnt take it away from you as fast as the GFS did..

EPS control/ mean braeks the pattern next wednesday/thursday.... Plus 25 yesterday should pull a plus 12 today

The pattern for the second half of March is favorable for plenty of bowlers.  Similar to what happened in January when we had several bowling ball systems that traversed west/east underneath a southern Canadian block.

Idk bout wintry pattern but its been very up n down lately. 70s 20s snow, tstorms

Volatile is almost certain in March and the way this pattern has been acting all season long.  I saw a map that had a mean snowfall of close to 12"+ for NE/N IA/N IL/S MI on north.  Just curious if that was the most recent run last night.

My extended outlook tempwise is frigid. My highs stay below freezing for 5 or 6 straight consecutive days and lows are extremely cold with single digits. February did not even get this cold. Some records are likely to be broken.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"