December 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

Just read a cool article about the "mother of all convergence zones" that occurred back on December 18, 1990 and dropped a foot of snow in Seattle, with thundersnow to boot.

That would have been fun! 

http://www.seattleweatherblog.com/snow/the-mother-of-all-convergence-zones/

I was lucky enough to have been living in the right place when that happened. Very memorable event! A few days later it dropped to zero at my place.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Not looking good for the snow threat late in the week. The low tracks less favorably to advect cold air before the precip really sets in. Just doesn't have the right look. There could be a little bit here and there, but anything great is looking doubtful.

The end of the month continues to have good potential according the ECMWF suite of models. The 12z GFs ensemble was good too.

850mb temp of -6C and 925 temp of -1C with what appears to be a deformation zone with flat gradients on Friday afternoon and evening might do the trick.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

52 in the swamp...

Thank God it's colder here than where you live. I had a 47-30 high / low today.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Forget the models and indices, wild hairs and gut feelings....it will snow this weekend, and I will tell you why I know that as fact...

You know how it always seems to rain after you wash your car?  Well I "de-crudded" my car and garage today.  I rinsed the garage floor to get rid of the remnants of all the melted slush from my car, and I busted out the power washer to clean all the cracks/crevices and underside of the car from all the crap they put on the roads.

I have a white car now (haven't had a white car in over 20 years) and I could not stand the filth any more...

So anyway, there you have it!  You can thank me later!

:D  :D  :D

• Like 2

Forget the models and indices, wild hairs and gut feelings....it will snow this weekend, and I will tell you why I know that as fact...

You know how it always seems to rain after you wash your car?  Well I "de-crudded" my car and garage today.  I rinsed the garage floor to get rid of the remnants of all the melted slush from my car, and I busted out the power washer to clean all the cracks/crevices and underside of the car from all the crap they put on the roads.

I have a white car now (haven't had a white car in over 20 years) and I could not stand the filth any more...

So anyway, there you have it!  You can thank me later!

:D  :D  :D

Washed our white car yesterday... it had become brown with road sand and grime.

Told my mom that it might snow up there on Friday and she said "they just cleaned the streets... please no more snow."    

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

SLE was 33/28 today.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Thank God it's colder here than where you live. I had a 47-30 high / low today.

Thank God for a high of 47 vs 52?

I could see thanking God for a high of 32 vs 45 when you have snow on the ground thus saving your snow cover.

But thank God for 47 vs 52 when you have green grass? :lol:

That's not from today is it?

I had hernia surgery a few years ago. Not fun.

No I took those pics last week. Probably about 2-4" left here now.

This was my second hernia surgery. The next few days won't be much fun. I was supposed to have the surgery on the 12th but took an opportunity to delay it until today. I didn't want to be laid up and unable to enjoy last weeks snow and cold.

Thank God? For a high of 47 vs 52?

I could see thanking God for a high of 32 vs 45 when you have snow on the ground thus saving your snow cover.

You know he loves cold anomalies, regardless of snow cover

Thank God for a high of 47 vs 52?

Just can't leave him alone can you? It's so annoying reading post after post and then Tim chimes in with a weird Jim fascination quirk post. I bet you have pics of jim on your bedroom wall.

• Like 1

No I took those pics last week. Probably about 2-4" left here now.

This was my second hernia surgery. The next few days won't be much fun. I was supposed to have the surgery on the 12th but took an opportunity to delay it until today. I didn't want to be laid up and unable to enjoy last weeks snow and cold.

Is it the same hernia reinjured or is it the other side? I got the mesh put in so hopefully it will hold forever.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

As for the cut off low that causes the GFS to look like something my cat threw up after day 10...the ECMWF ensemble is and has been adamant the GFS is totally mishandling that. The ECMWF operational and ensemble control models agree with the ensemble. They all rotate the cutoff low to where it ends up underneath the offshore block. A nice outcome if true. In fact the control model show an all out blast in the 10 to 15 day period.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just can't leave him alone can you? It's so annoying reading post after post and then Tim chimes in with a weird Jim fascination quirk post. I bet you have pics of jim on your bedroom wall.

I also said that it might snow on Friday.    ;)

Sun angles at 18-19° result in color temps at about 3900, which gives a pronounced orange hue to things. At 25-30° it's between 4200-4700, and are shades gold. Over 40° and the magic is lost. Low sun angles add for longer twilights, golden hours, and longer shadows.

You are really into sun angle.  :)

Busy on here tonight! :lol:

Is it January 3rd yet??

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

What could have been if we were just a bit colder to begin with. Most everybody would be seeing Snow and a White Christmas. It would have been an unbelievable way to cap off the month as we head into the New Year. Instead we are left with cold rain.

What's actually somewhat entertaining is the 00z GFS shows a dusting around the Portland area Christmas morning.

Not likely to verify but interesting nonetheless!

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

What could have been if we were just a bit colder to begin with. Most everybody would be seeing Snow and a White Christmas. It would have been an unbelievable way to cap off the month as we head into the New Year. Instead we are left with cold rain.

Not sure why people where expecting much to begin with

• Like 1

That's like a summer heat pattern next week. Cutoff low pumping up a heat ridge downstream.

Keep in mind most heatwaves are followed by a cool down. Intriguing...

Cut off low season off course, Matt... what do you expect?  

I wasn't expecting much but I realized from the get go we were going to be a tad too much on the warm side. The L takes a perfect track too and colder air comes in behind it much like last week but it would of been more widespread for everybody to see Snow.

f3e7e3bf2f29b1e9cdb92d7e39e709f1.jpg

Yeah...just not enough cold air with this.  Still a chance the Seattle area could see a little bit if convergence keeps precip going long enough.

Looks like we may have to wait until around New Years when the more serious cold pattern sets up.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Chances of seattle snow still there?

It's there, but not looking as good as earlier runs.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

That's like a summer heat pattern next week. Cutoff low pumping up a heat ridge downstream.

Keep in mind most heatwaves are followed by a cool down. Intriguing...

The Euro has handled the cutoff low completely differently.  The GFS has overblown that feature many times this season.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Runs as recent as 36 hours ago showed a very real snow threat for Seattle.  Some of the favorable details have changed though.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9