January 2017 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Goducks09

Interestingly... the ECMWF keeps the east wind going all weekend. No SW wind push.

Here is the wind map on Sunday afternoon... looks about the same on Saturday and Sunday.

ecmwf_uv10m_washington_19.png

The Portland area won't get a whiff of southerlies this weekend. History tells us that, just a very slow moderation with a gradual retraction of gorge influence. Monday will mix out as the air mass turns back over.

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

looks like a decent, prolonged zr event for me...  

Yeah...lows are further offshore and weaker on this run. Ugly.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Cold is under lock and key.

Yep... our big snowstorm for Tuesday and Wednesday that we discussed yesterday is basically gone this morning.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Interestingly... the ECMWF keeps the east wind going all weekend.    No SW wind push.

Here is the wind map on Sunday afternoon... looks about the same on Saturday and Sunday.

ecmwf_uv10m_washington_19.png

I realize this is a very simple question, but I am not that weather knowledgeable.

Will this keep back or at least dry out any incoming precip, and is there a chance that this may not let things warm up?

Thanks

And that can be a result of the models not doing well with the amount of cold air to our east. 

Maybe... I am not expecting anything here this weekend.   Upper levels are just way too warm.   Its not like -1C or -2C will make a difference. 

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

It's weird SLE is warmer than everywhere else, that temp is legit though, 34 at my office here in Salem.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

I realize this is a very simple question, but I am not that weather knowledgeable.

Will this keep back or at least dry out any incoming precip, and is there a chance that this may not let things warm up?

Thanks

Appears the warm up will happen anyways... but the precip will definitely be lighter with offshore flow.  

It's weird SLE is warmer than everywhere else, that temp is legit though, 34 at my office here in Salem.

Looks like PDX should stay below freezing pretty easily today with that east wind not easing anytime soon.

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Looks like a 32 or 33 day to me. They've been flirting with subfreezing highs a lot this season, so far have yet to do it.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Basically getting screwed is our default setting

After this latest letdown I have come to conclusion that we may get nothing this year. Low expectations for a number of reasons. I would not be surprised if we continue to lean more toward a coolish climo for awhile. It's a bummer but I have accepted it. 

The eternal optimist.

That's right! If they are gonna do it, today is the day. And Saturday.

Cold Season 2023/24:

I'll die off in a couple months or so. Weather quiets down and politics has lost its unpredictable appeal.

I don't think you understand the importance of securing a cold April to guarantee success next winter.

After this latest letdown I have come to conclusion that we may get nothing this year. Low expectations for a number of reasons. I would not be surprised if we continue to lean more toward a coolish climo for awhile. It's a bummer but I have accepted it. 

I like you but your getting ridiculous! Plenty of cards on the table and lots of time left. :D 

• Like 2

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

I'll die off in a couple months or so. Weather quiets down and politics has lost its unpredictable appeal.

When t'storm season comes along people will realize what they could miss out on. ;)

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 22
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 5/6, 5/7
5/8, 5/15, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Cold air in SW BC next week looks like the cold air in SW BC in 96... optimist!!!

I think we will end up tapping into some of it, at least Snohomish Co north.
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I doubt the Trump Presidency, or the weather this spring, will be anything close to predictable. :D

ULL season and Twitter anxiety will combine in a way never, ever seen before. It will make The Day After Tomorrow look like today.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.